Newer Envoy's Built on Car Frame? [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Newer Envoy's Built on Car Frame?

mylove2u21
09-28-2009, 03:16 AM
Hello,
I heard that the new Envoy's were built on a car frame vs the leter models that were built on a truck frame.
Would these new Envoy's be less safe then the older ones?
Would towing still be as good?
Thanks, Sean

Foosh
09-28-2009, 03:20 AM
CARS DON'T HAVE A FRAME... and the envoys are all 360 platforms

MajesticLT03
09-28-2009, 04:01 AM
you heard wrong

N467RX
09-28-2009, 04:30 AM
Maybe you heard about the Acadia, which is indeed unibody.

ScarabEpic22
09-28-2009, 05:17 AM

Exactly, which is the replacement for the Envoy. All Envoys ever produced have been body on frame, from the first gen (rebadged Jimmy's on the GMT330 platform) to the second gen (ours, GMT360).

the roadie
09-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Can you share where you heard or (better yet) read this with a reference? I've heard some extreme whoppers from car sales-scum, such as the COMPONENTS in the Envoy were better than the Trailblazer because it was the upscale model, or the production line took more care on the Envoys for some quality control reason. Yeah, right. :rolleyes: :hopeless

ahabofthepequod
10-02-2009, 01:00 AM
My '08' TB has a frame under it.

the roadie
10-02-2009, 01:23 AM
My '08' TB has a frame under it.The rumor we were discussing was whether it was a "car" versus a "truck" frame. That's what made the question so funny. :excited: :rotfl:

Actually, the GMT360/370 (all production years) has a fully boxed frame from front bumper to the rear bumper. Many trucks (Tacoma for one) are boxed only to a certain point, then c-channel. Aggressive offroaders often reinforce the c-channel and box it in for strength. We have a lot of worrisome design elements, but frame strength, thank goodness, if not one of them. :thumbsup:

LS7JEN
10-02-2009, 03:01 PM
:m2:I'm sick GM stopped making them.:(

mylove2u21
10-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. When did they stop manufacturing the Envoy?
I forgot that I wrote this thread.

the roadie
10-13-2009, 05:42 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMC_Envoy

numbnutz
10-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Can you share where you heard or (better yet) read this with a reference? I've heard some extreme whoppers from car sales-scum, such as the COMPONENTS in the Envoy were better than the Trailblazer because it was the upscale model, or the production line took more care on the Envoys for some quality control reason. Yeah, right. :rolleyes: :hopeless

I had a good line right from GM canada with trouble I was having with my Trailblazer when I bought is. I have always had my service done at the Pontiac/GMC dealer, and they argued with me for 10 minutes that I could not bring it there, but had to bring it to the Chev dealer because the GMC dealer would not know how to do the work on my TB, and went so far as to say the TB and Envoy were completely different and had nothing in common. I told the service advisor I have never seen him laugh so hard as he told me to ignore anything they said.

mylove2u21
10-25-2009, 03:25 PM
I had a good line right from GM canada with trouble I was having with my Trailblazer when I bought is. I have always had my service done at the Pontiac/GMC dealer, and they argued with me for 10 minutes that I could not bring it there, but had to bring it to the Chev dealer because the GMC dealer would not know how to do the work on my TB, and went so far as to say the TB and Envoy were completely different and had nothing in common. I told the service advisor I have never seen him laugh so hard as he told me to ignore anything they said.

What a load of BS!

mylove2u21
10-25-2009, 03:34 PM

Yeah I think that is what I heard that the Acadia will replace the Envoy and be built with the car frame. I guess they would get better gas mileage then the truck framed vehicle. I guess they could throw out the towing and maybe the safety for better M.P.G.

I wonder what I could replace my Envoy with in a few years?

lynch55
10-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah I think that is what I heard that the Acadia will replace the Envoy and be built with the car frame. I guess they would get better gas mileage then the truck framed vehicle. I guess they could throw out the towing and maybe the safety for better M.P.G.

I wonder what I could replace my Envoy with in a few years?

Don't!

SSportWagon
11-17-2009, 04:08 PM
... such as the COMPONENTS in the Envoy were better than the Trailblazer because it was the upscale model, or the production line took more care on the Envoys for some quality control reason. Yeah, right. :rolleyes: :hopeless

you mean my "Professional Grade" GMC is the same as the "Average Every Day Grade" Chevy ??

Ohh the Horror - I've been duped by the marketing dept !!:ugh::hahano:

SailorJay451
11-22-2009, 04:03 AM
Yah, I am really bummed they stopped making these trucks. I love my TB, and was hoping to upgrade to an SS model when my LS is paid off. Oh well, looks like I will be looking for a used SS in a few years:worried: I wonder if they will ever bring back our 360s. I don't like the looks of our replacements, the Acadia or the Traverse.

lint
11-22-2009, 08:21 AM
I hope the price of the SS don't start going up like the S10 pickups have ,I started about a year ego looking and since the Economy went south, they just keep going up and up in price,that's why I got the trailblazer to begin with ,I got an 04 with 72000 miles for 6800,,,2000 cheaper than i could have for a S10 pickup,but i guess the are all going up now. o Im looking for an SS too

TBthwacker
01-08-2010, 02:00 PM
We refuse to adapt to the unibody CUV platform.
The only modern body on frame SUV left...is not an SUV,
The Jeep Wrangler JKL Rubicon:hail:

DrRansom442
01-08-2010, 02:08 PM
CARS DON'T HAVE A FRAME... and the envoys are all 360 platforms

I beg to differ. Mine sure does.

DrRansom442
01-08-2010, 02:29 PM
We refuse to adapt to the unibody CUV platform.
The only modern body on frame SUV left...is not an SUV,
The Jeep Wrangler JKL Rubicon:hail:

Did I miss an announcement? GMT920s are discontinued?

nvmatrix
01-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Due to a long-lasting downturn in sales of full-size trucks and SUVs in the United States (up to a 30% down through the first nine months of 2008), General Motors cancelled the next-generation CXX truck program in May 2008. Along with it, the replacements for the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban and their siblings at GMC and Cadillac.

The automotive press has speculated that some GMT900 SUV models may move to the GM Lambda platform

N467RX
01-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Nope, we have left
Fullsizes
GMT920s
Toyota Sequoia
Jeep Commander
Ford Expedition
Toyota Land Cruiser 200 (Lexus LX 570)
Nissan Armada / QX56

Midsize
Jeep Grand Cherokee (until the new unibody comes out)
Toyota 4Runner
Ford Explorer (but with independent rear susp) / until the new Explorer America CUV comes out
Toyota GX 470 / 460 (Toyota J120 / J150 platform)
Kia Sorento (unibody replacement on the way)
Kia Borrego (looks like a slow selling vehicle)
Nissan XTerra

According to Wikipedia, the Nissan Pathfinder is a unibody (i have no means of verifying this).

That means that when the new Explorer, Sorento and Grand Cherokee come out, Toyota will have the vast majority of the midsize SUV market. They already have a decent market outside the US with the Hilux and Land Cruiser lines. And they have secured a good part of the hardcore market in the US with the FJ Cruiser.

DrRansom442
01-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Due to a long-lasting downturn in sales of full-size trucks and SUVs in the United States (up to a 30% down through the first nine months of 2008), General Motors cancelled the next-generation CXX truck program in May 2008. Along with it, the replacements for the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban and their siblings at GMC and Cadillac.

The automotive press has speculated that some GMT900 SUV models may move to the GM Lambda platform

I can read this two ways 1) GM isn't going to make Tahoes and Suburbans period or 2) the much needed update of these trucks has been axed (to save the development money) and the vehicles will continue as is.

the later makes more sense than the former

N467RX
01-08-2010, 03:58 PM

I also agree that they will either keep it this way for a while, or discontinue it.

That will probably change. I can't see a unibody Suburban, much less a Suburban 2500.

Lets put it this way. If GM cancels the Tahoe and Suburban, Ford or Dodge will come out with something new. There's enough market for fullsize SUVs when you consider government purchases to make this happen.

Ford still has the Expedition and the lengthened Expedition EL. There's enough market to keep the Expedition platform when you consider
a)US regular sales
b)US government sales (if GM does indeed discontinue the Tahoe/Suburban, you will eventually have lots of FD's, PD's and Federal agencies looking to replace their aging fleets)
c)Mexico sales

And Ford is still in better shape than Dodge or GM, so they can make it happen. They can move the Expedition to a Super Duty platform and offer both (like Chevy right now, offering a Suburban 1500 and a 2500), and making sure this vehicle is not a fiasco like their first attempt at making a gigantic SUV.

Fullsize SUV sales are still strong in Mexico, where people value them for their size and power, I just did the math and 87 octane gas is somewhere close to US $2.30/gal. They're frequently used for security details (The Durango is much more popular for that, but is discontinued). And with the current crime rates, armored SUVs are becoming popular. And organized crime is still buying them in decent quantities (partial explanation as to why there is a 2010 Mark LT in Mexico).

DrRansom442
01-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Wouldn't be a first time for GM to do so .... back in the 80s GM was fwd car minded. The wildly popular G-body cars (Regal, Cutlass, Monte, Gran Prix) were to be discontinued and fwd replacements were already on the showroom floor.
There was enough demand for these "dinosaurs" (as GM marketting often referred to them) that they sold "Classic" versions along side the fwd cars .... for another year and a half (extending well into the 88 model year) until much of the existing tooling was used up. They even went so far as to make the Cutlass GT ... essentially a stock Supreme with bucket seats and left over deck wings and chrome 15" wheels (from the 442) and hood scoops (from the much earlier H/O models).
Then about 5 years later they ceased the RWD intermediates - the left over carb'd Olds 307s were re-introduced into the fullsized wagons so that those supplies could be eliminated. (making it the last carb'd car in production)

bartonmd
01-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Wouldn't be a first time for GM to do so .... back in the 80s GM was fwd car minded. The wildly popular G-body cars (Regal, Cutlass, Monte, Gran Prix) were to be discontinued and fwd replacements were already on the showroom floor.
There was enough demand for these "dinosaurs" (as GM marketting often referred to them) that they sold "Classic" versions along side the fwd cars .... for another year and a half (extending well into the 88 model year) until much of the existing tooling was used up. They even went so far as to make the Cutlass GT ... essentially a stock Supreme with bucket seats and left over deck wings and chrome 15" wheels (from the 442) and hood scoops (from the much earlier H/O models).
Then about 5 years later they ceased the RWD intermediates - the left over carb'd Olds 307s were re-introduced into the fullsized wagons so that those supplies could be eliminated. (making it the last carb'd car in production)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor

Carburetors were the usual fuel delivery method for almost all gasoline-fueled engines up until the late 1980s, when fuel injection became the preferred method of automotive fuel delivery. In the U.S. market, the last carbureted cars were:

1990 (General public) : Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser, Buick Estate Wagon, and Subaru Justy
1991 (Police) : Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with the 5.8 L (351 cu in) engine.
1991 (SUV) : Jeep Grand Wagoneer
1994 (Light truck) : Isuzu[5]

Mike

Greyghost44
01-25-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. When did they stop manufacturing the Envoy?
I forgot that I wrote this thread.

If I have my dates right, the production runs ended in 2008 with the 2009 model when the Molaine plant closed.

ScarabEpic22
01-25-2010, 09:42 PM
If I have my dates right, the production runs ended in 2008 with the 2009 model when the Molaine plant closed.

Theres a big thread about this, but yes you are correct. Dec 23, 2008 the last GMT360 rolled off the line, was an Envoy.

dgreen1
12-01-2010, 01:40 PM

I have heard soem of those before, but if I'm not mistaken I thought GMC vechicle were supposed to be a little more "Upscale" because GMC is professional grade. I think the only difference in the Trailblazer vs Envoys is the Envoys have a little more chrome and fancier interior trim or plastic wood grain.

Its like one dealer told me - When you go to a construction site, you see the construction workers driving Chevy Trucks and the Foreman drives a GMC because GMC is 'Professional Grade" and Chevy is not.

Coming from a family that only buys and drives GM and a father who was a General Manager at a large dealership its pretty hard to tell the differnce between the two brands, much less pay extra for some extra trim. Besides I like everything GM makes, well except the Aveo's.

DougK
12-02-2010, 10:37 AM
I have heard soem of those before, but if I'm not mistaken I thought GMC vechicle were supposed to be a little more "Upscale" because GMC is professional grade. I think the only difference in the Trailblazer vs Envoys is the Envoys have a little more chrome and fancier interior trim or plastic wood grain.

Its like one dealer told me - When you go to a construction site, you see the construction workers driving Chevy Trucks and the Foreman drives a GMC because GMC is 'Professional Grade" and Chevy is not.

Coming from a family that only buys and drives GM and a father who was a General Manager at a large dealership its pretty hard to tell the differnce between the two brands, much less pay extra for some extra trim. Besides I like everything GM makes, well except the Aveo's.

We had a 98 Sunfire Gt and 03 Cavalier z24... the Pontiac was considered more "performance" then then Cavalier so would have more things added to it, which I can agree with , our Sunfire Gt was pretty sound hardly any road noise handling etc... the Cavalier let in a lot more road noise vibrated more when I had a stereo installed... so they def do use more features or extra stuff on certain same class models, if I had reversed my decision I would have bought an 03 sunfire gt instead of the z24....

shaneandkim22
12-08-2010, 01:45 AM
i know for certain there was a time when gmc trucks , across the board
were of higher quailty than chevrolet trucks.
as far as the "car" frame deal............... i guess you could say the new
trailblazer (equinox):) has a car frame ! what kills me is when poeple
compair the trailblazer to the equinox ..... hmmmm lets see in this hand i
have an apple,,,, in this hand a have a potato???????????what a compairision

the roadie
12-08-2010, 01:47 AM
... i guess you could say the new
trailblazer (equinox):) has a car frame ...I don't know how, since it's frameless. :undecided

TollKeeper
12-08-2010, 04:33 AM
I don't know how, since it's frameless. :undecided

And FWD Based, with a Hydraulic AWD system, if equipped.

DougK
12-08-2010, 07:41 PM
And FWD Based, with a Hydraulic AWD system, if equipped.

Buddy of ours I haven't seen in awhile I asked him what they drives after I told them I drove an Envoy, he's like oh we have the sister suv the Saturn vue.. I was like HA NOOOO that's no where related to the Envoy or Trailblazer for that matter, my envoy is a true truck with suv body... he didn't seem to respond after that lol