Rattle Vibration from the Throttle Body Plate [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Rattle Vibration from the Throttle Body Plate

EDENXL06
12-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi everyone, this morning I took off the intake tube (black plastic) that inserts into the Throttle body and turned the key to the on position and I see/ Hear the throttle plate vibrating for again like three seconds and goes away.

I started hearing this noise at 3 different times: 1)I started hearing a rattle/vibration on top of the engine aorund 20 MPH especially when I am braking or let off the gas. I'd here it for 3 seconds and then it would go away.

2) When I turn the key to the on position you can here the click and rattle 3 seconds and then go away. Finally

3) when I turn the engine off you hear that rattle/vibration coming from the Throttle Body area agian and move up towards the rear of the engine, all on the top black plastic piece.

Is the electronic part that lifts the plate going out or is this something else?

the roadie
12-05-2009, 02:54 PM
If the throttle body position sensors (there are two, and they have to agree with each other) ever report back that the plate isn't in the position that the computer sent it to, you'd get a SES light and you'd get a code.

Otherwise, the PCM thinks everything is as expected, so I'd guess you have a sticky/dirty throttle body. If you're above 30K miles, it's a good thing to get done. $4 and 30 minutes and it helps a LOT of idle and launch-related issues.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=91

EDENXL06
12-05-2009, 11:50 PM
You know I cleaned the front side of the TB plate last month, but this Time I'll take the TB off and clean the back as well and hopefully that does it. Thanks Roadie.

My SES light didn't come on, although my CEL light has been on due to the Fuel Sending Unit that a whole other issue. I'll try and see if the CEL is spitting out any other code as well.
Those are two different things the SES and CEL? Is that right?

trailballer
12-06-2009, 12:01 AM
Same thing check engine is from cars that have a little engine with a x or a hammer hitting it. And SES is service engine soon like what we get when there is trouble.

I took my throttle body off and cleaned it and BE CAREFUL the back of the throttle body is very sharp! Dont ask me how I know.......:ugh:....there was alot of blood.

EDENXL06
12-06-2009, 12:04 AM
ouch... it don't have a gasket for it, just metal on metal? thanks for the heads up.

Trailblaze_2002
12-06-2009, 12:39 AM
Same thing check engine is from cars that have a little engine with a x or a hammer hitting it. And SES is service engine soon like what we get when there is trouble.

I took my throttle body off and cleaned it and BE CAREFUL the back of the throttle body is very sharp! Dont ask me how I know.......:ugh:....there was alot of blood.

LMAO i found this out also so beware! :crackup: :crackup:

the roadie
12-06-2009, 02:41 AM
Cleaning the FRONT of the throttle plate is like cleaning the TOP of the seat lid when your wife orders you to clean the toilet. It's not where the sticky crap is. And it's not the part that's causing the functional problem. :laugh:

EDENXL06
12-06-2009, 11:55 PM
No luck today, I cleaned the TB front and back still made that click click and the plate rattle noise at start up and then when I turn off it makes that rattle and vibration and like a pooof noise in the manifold (thats the big long black piece that sits on the top of the engine is that right).
I didn't get a chance to take it to autozone to see if any codes show up, will do that monday.
Is the black thing attached to the side of the TBody called the Electronic Throttle Body Control Module? Is that expensive? Where's the two TBPosition Sensors at? The truck runs fine outside of this issue, but we're looking to take a road trip soon and want to be ok with it.

EDENXL06
12-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Computer spit out no codes. So I will just see what happens.

boonbltz
12-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi everyone, this morning I took off the intake tube (black plastic) that inserts into the Throttle body and turned the key to the on position and I see/ Hear the throttle plate vibrating for again like three seconds and goes away.

I started hearing this noise at 3 different times: 1)I started hearing a rattle/vibration on top of the engine aorund 20 MPH especially when I am braking or let off the gas. I'd here it for 3 seconds and then it would go away.

2) When I turn the key to the on position you can here the click and rattle 3 seconds and then go away. Finally

3) when I turn the engine off you hear that rattle/vibration coming from the Throttle Body area agian and move up towards the rear of the engine, all on the top black plastic piece.

Is the electronic part that lifts the plate going out or is this something else?

I also noticed that rattle tonight after check engine light came on. sounds like its coming from throttle body. is there some kind of sileniod slapping back in forth on this thing. it happens for a few second after turning key on but not starting which is odd like it is adjusting itself. pretty loud wow funny we both have the same prob at same time no other postings that i have found so far.

boonbltz
12-10-2009, 12:54 AM
WWWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW

Nothing seems to amaze me anymore, I took the air intake plenum (black plastic thing) off. I pushed in the butterfly and cleaned around it with rag black residue in there worked the butterfly a little opening and closing couldn't see anything wrong had the wife start the truck with plenum off engine ran real ruff which is expected until it died, i then wiggled around on the maf and map sensors put it all back together and damned if the check engine light didnt go out and the rattleing stopped! I threw my arms up over my head via Brett Farve after one of his many touchdowns. my signif other (wife) who really expected to fork over a couple hundred bucks to the stealership, laughed starring ahh struck and said don't even try and take credit for anything.. she watched everything I did and which was nothing.

I said its not the tools you use its how you use them...........................

not to make a long story longer but a very simalar thing happened to my duramax, check engine light rough idle in the limp mode. after two weeks of trouble shooting the day of taking it in to the stealership. I desided to check something that someone else had luck with on a forum. while truck was running i loosened the map sensor and pulled it out until the truck would die then put it back in and repeat a few times. damned if it didn't work and save me some money. I guess the k&n filter oil had clogged the sensor and the loss of vacumm cleaned it or unclogged it. hope this helps someone else damn emmisions sysstem is a mother / over time.

EDENXL06
12-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Hey where is that MAP Sensor located at? I'm gonna give that a try.

boonbltz
12-16-2009, 04:59 AM
Hey where is that MAP Sensor located at? I'm gonna give that a try.

I wiggled everything the one on the very top is the one i think that made the difference, I could not be sure i think moving around the butterfly was the main thing. pushed it all the way back and forth good luck

EDENXL06
12-16-2009, 09:43 PM
Was on highway last nite cruise control on at 65mph and Reduced engine power light came on, couldn't accelerate or go over 50, my rpms were at 2k pulled over turned it off opened hood and noticed a little coolant leaked from where? not sure? coolant reservoir at normal level thermo gauge fine, waited 15 minutes started it, SES lite off and drove back home as if nothing happened... strange. still making that noise at start up and at engine off though...

EDENXL06
12-16-2009, 10:04 PM
I worked on the truck today, wiggled wires, moved, unplugged connectors for MAP, MAF, and TB. started truck pulled out MAP with truck running and it slowly died out did it a few times. Checked air filter a little dirty nothing crazy, MAF honeycomb looked a little dirty (m no expert) on air filter side, but i get no codes for MAF.
Orange and Green Map wires are a little frayed especially the orange one , will try and fix that tomorrow will also try seafoam, if still nothing then maybe replace MAP seeing that now it appears I don't have that click and rattle noise with key in on position like it was calibrating itself or something. but engine did warm up by then so I can only verify that with a cold start.

All this to say that this morning I took it to Azone and found the P060E code: Internal Control Module Throttle Position performance. Explanation: The ECM has detected an Internal Processor error for the Throttle Plate Actuator system. Probable cause: 1. open or short circuit condition, 2. failed ECM

So I looked on here and searched and found that some have had similar issues and were told to replace their ECM only to find that their problem didn't go away and it ended up being a sensor. BUT them others didn't appear to get the P060E code it was another P0--- code unlike me with this code. Is this dooms day code legit u think? what if it is just the MAP sensor?
Thx. for any help in advance.

EDENXL06
12-16-2009, 10:13 PM
if still nothing then maybe replace MAP seeing that now it appears I don't have that click and rattle noise with key in on position like it was calibrating itself or something. but engine did warm up by then so I can only verify that with a cold start.

It does however make the fart,vibration, almost like blow back noise when i shut off engine. Comes from the top of engine around the MAP sensor. Thats why i think it might be the MAP and/or it's wires. Yet I don't don't get a code specifically for that sensor so I could easily be wrong their too.????:confused:

boonbltz
12-16-2009, 11:59 PM
good luck keep us updated

EDENXL06
12-19-2009, 12:24 AM
I thought I read some where on Trailvoy that there was a TSB on ECM's going bad after disconnecting the battery for other service issues? Any body know about if that is on here or point me in the right direction?

EDENXL06
01-03-2010, 02:27 AM
I was driving and it went in REP mode again and I was 2 blocks away from dealer and 1 day away from ordering a new ECM because my CEL light was on from an earlier REP mode that threw a code P060E. So I took it to the dealer with the truck fresh in REPmode and they told me It was the Throttle body they wanted $529 for Parts/labor. I got the part for $186 before tax from a different dealer and installed it myself. Truck is running fine now.

boonbltz
01-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Mine did it again also i am going to clean up the throttlebody today and if it does it again than will also get new one. That sounds like a fair price you found especially at a stealership.

EDENXL06
01-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Yeah the price they originally wanted $2hundred something and I asked if they could match another dealer price, cuz gmpartsdirect has it for $138 IIRC plus $30 for shipping. But I couldn't wait for it's my everyday car and dealer had it in stock.

EDENXL06
01-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Careful when you clean the Throttle Body. The dealership told me that the butterfly plate is not supposed to move or be moved when the car is off. Now I know it's the stealership, I like to collect my info. filter it and proceed with caution. On TVoy guys have posted you can move the butterfly gently using one finger and with ease and as least as possible.