No power to rear heat/radio console [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: No power to rear heat/radio console

12-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Hello,

The rear heat/radio console in my 2003 Trailblazer LT has no power. I checked the appropriate fuse under the seat and it looks perfectly fine. I also checked all the other fuses just to be sure and can't find a blown one.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks.

the roadie
12-18-2009, 04:54 PM
Fuses # 36 and 39? Is it the RSA (rear seat audio) module with full digital (not manual) controls up front?

How are you observing that it's dead? No displays light up, or none of the function buttons (fan speed/mode/radio source) operate functionally?

12-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the response. It is the full digital heat/radio control panel. The display is blank with no signs of life.

The manual shows it going to a 30amp fuse which I checked along with all the other fuses....both under the seat and under the hood. I can't find a blown fuse.

the roadie
12-18-2009, 06:29 PM
That 30A fuse #13 is only for the rear blower motor. The module is powered by fuse #36, 10A, but that also powers the front HVAC control module, and you didn't mention that was out. So maybe it's a simple connector problem getting the power TO the rear module.

The rear module pries out from the top, so you don't have to remove the entire console. Get a meter and check pin A1 (two rows of 8 pins) which should be an orange wire, for 12V. A4 black, for ground.

The display can be dead without the controls also being affected. Just confirm you pressed the fan increase button a few times and got nothing out of the blower.

12-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the info. I will try to check these... I'm slightly leary of prying out that module though. Do I use a screwdriver in the small space above the electronic display and the center console to get it out?

12-25-2009, 04:43 PM
I've gotten the console out and see two wiring harnesses that are plugged into it.

Where are the rows of pins that you're talking about? If it is the pins that these wiring harnesses connect to, do you have any tips for getting those harness clips off? I'm squeezing the edges as hard as I can but can't get the hooks around the edges.

Thanks and Merry Christmas.