My reduced engine power light came on (Please help) [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: My reduced engine power light came on (Please help)

tb0475
12-24-2009, 12:31 AM
My change oil light button came on 2 1/2 weeks ago. And I haven't changed my oil yet. Out of no where, my reduced engine power light came on right as I pulled into my garage. Then I turned off my tb and re-started it. Then the check engine light and the reduced engine power button lit up. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm broke right now and can't afford to take it to the dealer. Any ideas and help will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, Jeff

WOOLUF1952
12-24-2009, 01:23 AM
Go to an Auto Zone or other auto parts store and they will read the code and tell you what it is. This should be free. Bring the code here, and use the Search function. If you can't find the answer, tell us what it is and we will try to help. Also, free. There are too many thing that can be wrong. We need a code to help.:thumbsup:

mfsantosph
12-24-2009, 02:59 AM
I had that problem and I just disconnect the battery for about 10 seconds and put it back again, its like reseting the onboard computer. After that the reduce endine power light went off. BUT if you will be doing this remember that the codes will be erase. I am not sure if this is the correct thing to do but I have done it. Good luck.

07BlazerMan
12-24-2009, 08:44 AM
I had that problem and I just disconnect the battery for about 10 seconds and put it back again, its like reseting the onboard computer. After that the reduce endine power light went off. BUT if you will be doing this remember that the codes will be erase. I am not sure if this is the correct thing to do but I have done it. Good luck.

Definately I wouldn't do this. As WOOLUF1952 said take it to Autozone as it should be free and find out what the code or codes are.:m2:

forgotten
12-24-2009, 08:48 AM
by erasing the code, it would be defeating the purpose of the reduced power being there to possibly save any damage from happening to the vehicle. id get it fixed before doing that. i never heard of reduced power coming on due to not following the oil life indicator. when was the last time you checked the oil (making sure its not low)???

tb0475
12-24-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm heading to autozone today, and I will post my code today. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

Jeff

dh11670
12-25-2009, 06:10 PM
let me know it just happen to mine also great time of year for this to happen to us

tb0475
12-25-2009, 08:25 PM
I changed my oil yesterday and reset the change oil light. Now the check engine light and the reduced engine power light have gone off. Maybe I just got lucky or blessed. But everything is fine now. And to all those with over 75,000 miles, I highly recommend high mileage oil. I can tell a difference just in the smoothness of how it drives. Thanks again everyone, and I hope all had a great Christmas!

Jeff

bstromback2002
12-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Go somewhere and get it scanned the codes will still be saved in the computer unless you disconnected the battery. Changing the oil didn't make the light go out and there's a good chance it's going to come on again some other day atleast this way if it does happen again you can go get it scanned again and see if it's the same code and try to figure out what is wrong from there. I chased mine for over a year before i got luck one day and caught it in action.

tb0475
12-27-2009, 04:29 PM
I had no idea, I figured eveything was fine now. But thanks for the advice, I will get it scanned this week.

stevekuznicki
12-28-2009, 12:00 PM
I had the same light come in and there was a definite loss in performance (accelerator pedal floored and no power). It was in limp-home mode. Auto-Zone scan code said it was the APP (Accelerator Pedal Position) sensor. The dealership had to replace my whole accelerator pedal assembly ($190 + $200 labor).
I think you got off lucky this time... good luck.

tb0475
12-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Yeah, Steve I definitely got off good. God was looking out for me because I don't have $400.00 to spend on a pedal assembly.

forgotten
12-29-2009, 08:47 AM
i still think there is something else going on in there. when was the last time you changed your oil? do you regularly change it every 3k or when the oil life monitor comes on? i change it every 3-4k and it needs it. i actually have to change it again this week and the damn oil monitor still hasent come up to change it from when i did it the time before last.

i would still get those codes read. it doesnt make sence to me.

dh11670
12-29-2009, 10:35 AM
well i start have elec. problems wippers, tail lights and headlights so i looked at all the fuse's and thought the 3 bolts holding down the inside cover had to be lossen to get that cover off. well as u might know they dont.
but i losen anyways put all back together and then my reduce engine power light came on so i cleaned the pedal and throtal body wire plugs connector with some cleaner spray put back together. found the silver bolts holing the inside cover of the fuse box where loose (they must act as a ground) tighten and poof all lights off. :thx
so either the connections on the plug did it or it was the ground bolts on the fuse box was the problem. anywas i'm happy light off and i have full power

bstromback2002
12-29-2009, 11:04 AM
Changing the oil wouldn't have anything to do with the reduced engine power light. I run synthetic oil in mine and i only change the oil every 7,000 miles and i still have between 10 and 20 percent left on the oil life monitor. The oil life monitor varies on how long it takes to come on depending on how the vehicle was drove. So if you change your oil every 3000 to 4000 miles and reset the light every time you will probably never ever see the change oil light.

You are right he should still get them codes and right them down so if it happens again and he has the same codes you have some idea of where to start diagnosing things.

forgotten
12-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Changing the oil wouldn't have anything to do with the reduced engine power light. I run synthetic oil in mine and i only change the oil every 7,000 miles and i still have between 10 and 20 percent left on the oil life monitor. The oil life monitor varies on how long it takes to come on depending on how the vehicle was drove. So if you change your oil every 3000 to 4000 miles and reset the light every time you will probably never ever see the change oil light.

You are right he should still get them codes and right them down so if it happens again and he has the same codes you have some idea of where to start diagnosing things.

yeah i still dont buy into the whole 7k miles or oil life indicator.

i think the true and trusty 3k mile oil change is good (although sometimes i wait till 4k). the oil in the trailblazer at that many miles is black and slightly sludgy. i use mobil 1 synthetic. Its mostly dry and dusty here and i do have a somewhat heavy foot.

bstromback2002
12-29-2009, 03:34 PM
The oil life monitor i don't exactly buy into that, but higher mileage oil changes i do Especially on a synthetic oil. I send in a oil sample every now and again just to make sure i'm not getting any excessive wear. I'd say you are still safe at the 4,000 mile oil change interval. Oil is so much better than it was 10 or 20 years ago and so are the oil filters.

dh11670
12-29-2009, 05:10 PM
what do i use to clean the thhrotal body. is carb cleaner ok? or is there something else i should use?

bstromback2002
12-29-2009, 05:24 PM
3m actuallys makes a product called throttle body cleaner and other company's do to that's just what i prefer. i have heard carb and choke cleaner is to harsh for the coating on a throttle body.

mypetropig
12-29-2009, 05:30 PM
what do i use to clean the thhrotal body. is carb cleaner ok? or is there something else i should use?

They make products that are designed for throttle bodies,if you use regular carb cleaner on it it may damage the seals or the coating.Seafoam,B-12chemtool,STP are some good products just to name a few. BTW throttle body cleaners do cost a little more but if you skimp here you could pay alot more later. :m2:

christo829
12-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Some carb cleaners can actually melt plastic parts,
and aren't all that good for sensors and such.

As mentioned, 3M makes a throttle body cleaner,
and so does CRC. I used the CRC recently on my throttle
body, and it did the job. Says "Throttle Body Cleaner"
right on the spray can, so you can't miss it... :)

Don't forget the all important disconnection of the battery!
Once it's clean, the PCM needs to relearn how to control
a clean throttle, as opposed to the formerly dirty one... :)

Good Luck!

Chris

forgotten
12-30-2009, 08:38 AM
i use the CRC producs as well. throttle body cleaner on my trailblazer as well as my colorado. i also use the mafs cleaner since im there.