power steering lines [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: power steering lines

Trailblazee
01-21-2010, 06:55 PM
I have no power steering. The bracket that holds thae metal lines down above the shock brace under the rubber piece it has rusted out and wont hold fluid. So temporarily I cut it out and replaced it with power steering hose, and the clamps wont hold the hose on there is too much pressure. Any ideas?

WOOLUF1952
01-21-2010, 08:47 PM
The only thing I can think of is splicing in a piece of metal tubing, like brake lines, with brass compression fittings. I don't know if there is a patch kit available. Try a local auto parts store.

If that's not doable, you'll have to replace the whole line. Sorry.

Trailblazee
01-21-2010, 10:02 PM
thnks, ill try the brake line idea

MichEnvoyBoy
01-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Mine are pretty corroded looking and Im sure they will be leaky by this summer :mad:

There are 2 power steering lines- 1 pressure and 1 return. I can see the rubber hose and clamps not holding on the pressure line as it puts a lot of psi through that hose, but the return side hose didnt hold either, eh?

Trailblazee
01-21-2010, 11:08 PM
the pressure one didnt hold the return did. What you think would be the easiest quick fix, I want to buy a new car so I dont want to spend much.

LMMJ
01-21-2010, 11:34 PM
What you think would be the easiest quick fix...

Get a new line. Not having to deal with failed attempts is worth it.

Trailblazee
01-22-2010, 06:15 PM
the cheapest I found to fix it would be 516 dollars just for the pressure line and my return line is in the same condition.

MichEnvoyBoy
01-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I would do the same thing I did when my trans cooler lines rotted - patch it in with compression fittings and a metal piece.

Otherwise, get a direct replacement pressure line at the dealership or aftermarket somewhere (if its even available...) and DIY.

Trailblazee
01-22-2010, 10:47 PM
where would I get the metal pieces.

the roadie
01-22-2010, 11:39 PM
At the nearest "metal piece" (auto parts store).

How about paying a mechanic to patch it with some professionalism so we don't have to advise the next owner to sue you when a crappy patch fails on an exit ramp and they fly off the road? Seriously. :nono:

If you didn't flare the tube before clamping on the hose you really should not be working on a safety-related system like power steering.

LMMJ
01-23-2010, 01:07 AM
the cheapest I found to fix it would be 516 dollars just for the pressure line and my return line is in the same condition.

I found a pressure hose on Ebay for $76 plus $10 shipping

guano2
01-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Brass Compression fittings should NOT be used on Pressure related systems, then again Hoses are even worse.:hissy: You could try Double flared but it would probably.. & I bet, it will leak some on the high side... Me, I'm going out an spray mine with WD40 again ASAP. (after getting the salt off:rolleyes:):m2:

Trailblazee
01-26-2010, 09:22 PM
I tried the metal pieces and compression fittings and it worked perfect. It has been about three days now and no problems at all. Although I didn't use metal pieces I used copper because that is the only things I could find at the time. I would definitely recommend that to anyone who has a similar problems on any of their lines. It only cost me about $20 in parts.

Rag PA
08-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Guano2
Just a FYI ATF and acetone rocks for rusted nuts/bolts, 50/50 mix way better than wd-40! Google it :crazy:

guano2
08-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Guano2
Just a FYI ATF and acetone rocks for rusted nuts/bolts, 50/50 mix way better than wd-40! Google it :crazy:
Point taken :thumbsup: wd 40 for large stuff, PB blaster for more serious stuff. (I am Cheap):D I'm just leary of Acetone on or near anything not metal.

79TurboCutlass
08-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Last I knew, NAPA makes hydraulic hose assemblies. There are other places that do, I'm sure. And I'm pretty sure you could get one made for less than $516.

Rag PA
10-07-2010, 03:46 PM
Just replaced my manifold ($125), http://www.1aauto.com/ currently sold out) but no pwr/st lines. Dealership quoted me $450 :hissy: takin it in the can again...save here, scre**d there! My pw/st pressure line on top of the suspension tower wrapped by a rubber holder is leaking. I would jack around and try a cheap fix but I got too much priceless cargo in the back seats.
:hail: Safety First guys!

Kristis Dad
11-29-2010, 05:13 PM
GM dealer at wholesale for that HP line is $231.xx and $96.xx for return line. The LF strut tower clamp is a very common spot of failure and it also seems the return line may be the initial fault first. It does take a bit of patience & perseverance to gain access for inspection & repair. I used a can of parts cleaner to clean leaking oil, once clamp and grommet are removed clean line area good and inspect for "oil bleeding" from line. Don't want to mess with that HP line unless you have to, also remove 2 bolts on forward line clamps for better mobility..?

Rag PA
11-30-2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks Kristis Dad,
I did teh dealer route...like ya said don't wanna mess with those HP lines!:tiphat

Macatowa
11-30-2010, 06:40 AM
I have been watching and painting with rustoleum paint every year to try and preserve as long as possible. This summer I had to replace the rusted transmission lines as I have 180k and live in West Michigan.

Kristis Dad
11-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I have been watching and painting with rustoleum paint every year to try and preserve as long as possible. This summer I had to replace the rusted transmission lines as I have 180k and live in West Michigan.x2 yet another prone area..

rallyroad
12-02-2010, 11:31 PM
I have been watching and painting with rustoleum paint every year to try and preserve as long as possible. This summer I had to replace the rusted transmission lines as I have 180k and live in West Michigan.

My parents live over that way too...in Pentwater. My father called me tonight and told me that the power steering lines on their 2002 Trailblazer rusted through and they no longer have power steering. It looks like I'll be replacing them when we go to visit for Christmas.

I replaced the rusted out fuel pump a couple years back and then after I did the job that the dealer wanted $800 to do, GM sent a letter stating that they would pay for the repair or reimburse the owner if the repair was done at a garage or dealer.

My father is fed up with the trailblazer. I got him to buy a used BMW 330Ci and he absolutely loves that car and constantly talks about how GM should do a better job of rust proofing their vehicles so fuel pumps and power steering lines don't rust out with only 100k miles.

Kristis Dad
12-02-2010, 11:52 PM
GM dealer at wholesale for that HP line is $231.xx and $96.xx for return line. The LF strut tower clamp is a very common spot of failure and it also seems the return line may be the initial fault first. It does take a bit of patience & perseverance to gain access for inspection & repair. I used a can of parts cleaner to clean leaking oil, once clamp and grommet are removed clean line area good and inspect for "oil bleeding" from line. Don't want to mess with that HP line unless you have to, also remove 2 bolts on forward line clamps for better mobility..?
Oops! above pertains to I6 not V8, didn't realize how far I drifted...:coffee

M165766
12-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Good advice on that one. Also, be careful of 'aftermarket'. Just had mine replaced at my local mechanic. He tried two 'aftermarket', one from Napa, and the end fittings didn't mate on the '02. Finally had to go with dealer p hose to get one that worked.

dan66
12-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Hi,
I am new to the forum, just bought a 2002 envoy for the winter now i have to replace the ps hose leaking on tower.
Can anyone tell me if it is a easy replacement.

Thank you
Dan

Kristis Dad
12-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Hi,
I am new to the forum, just bought a 2002 envoy for the winter now i have to replace the ps hose leaking on tower.
Can anyone tell me if it is a easy replacement.

Thank you
DanI can, no it is not an easy replacement...just like most parts on these!

dan66
12-30-2010, 12:43 AM
i know, i bought the truck 1 month ago and already replaced the rear brake, back plates, ball joints, repaired the clock spring now the ps lines..... what is next lol

Dan

Kristis Dad
12-30-2010, 12:57 AM
I lucked out with mine(Return line leak), you may too! you will need to remove that pita clamp at tower and clean lines well to pinpoint exactly which line is leaking. Here's my thread with pics. I used the 3rd best, yet easiest repair w/out sacrificing safety. not sure you would want to do this type of repair on a pressure side line though. if you used flares it might be ok..
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=81111

M165766
12-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Mine was the pressure line. Had my non-dealer repairman do it. He said the TB routing is one of the worst he has seen; took him 3 hours. Also the aftermarket from two different places (including Napa) didn't have the right end fitting for the early 2002 (mine is a Jul 01 build); only dealer worked. $300 if I bought it his price was $210.

Kristis Dad
12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately I'll be having to do this some day and not at all looking forward to it:(