Can I Tow These Travel Trailers? [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Can I Tow These Travel Trailers?

mustangdude1967
02-23-2010, 12:09 AM
I have a 2005 Trailblazer 4 wheel drive with the I-6 engine and 3.42 G80 gears. It's rated at 5100lbs pulling with a total gross weight of 10000lbs.
I'm looking at two travel trailers to pull ,23 to 24 footers. The first one has a dry weight of 3200lbs and a gross of 4700lbs. The second one has a dry weight of 4500lbs and a gross of 6600lbs. I will be using a weight distribution hitch as well as stabalizing bars. It's also just for two people so we don't plan on "maxing" out the total cargo capacity. Take into consideration the normal gear,food, water tanks, LP gas, ect, will the Trailblazer tow this safely with no problem. Experienced Trailvoy campers, please help!
Thanks

2005 Trailblazer, 67 Mustang, 99 300m, 95 Intrepid

KNBlazer
02-23-2010, 12:12 AM
I have a 2005 Trailblazer 4 wheel drive with the I-6 engine and 3.42 G80 gears. It's rated at 5100lbs pulling with a total gross weight of 10000lbs.
I'm looking at two travel trailers to pull ,23 to 24 footers. The first one has a dry weight of 3200lbs and a gross of 4700lbs. The second one has a dry weight of 4500lbs and a gross of 6600lbs. I will be using a weight distribution hitch as well as stabalizing bars. It's also just for two people so we don't plan on "maxing" out the total cargo capacity. Take into consideration the normal gear,food, water tanks, LP gas, ect, will the Trailblazer tow this safely with no problem. Experienced Trailvoy campers, please help!
Thanks

I would probably say you'd be ok, however, I would recommend getting a transmission service, filter and the 6-7 qts the pan takes.... I'd also recommend you wait for others who have actually pulled trailers and see what their advice is ... :)

Black04 SLT
02-23-2010, 10:17 AM
FWIW- I towed a 19' Jayco Travel trailer-tandem axle with a dry weight of a little over 4000. Had the same set-up with stabilizer bars and a brake controller. Pulled just fine-just had to 'work' a little on the bigger hills....and I lost about 3-4 miles to the gallon too.....

muddy tires
02-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks

You're probably good to go with the first one but the second one is about the size of our trailer. We have the 5.3L V8 and the extended wheelbase model and we are a bit undertrucked, although I've never felt unsafe. This year we will be towing with a Silverado CrewCab 2500. That should handle it!

coolcloo1019
02-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Not sure where you're traveling too but you would most definitely want a tranny cooler as well. The 3.42's aren't going to give you great pulling power or gas mileage. You'll be lucky to see 10mpg.

The truck CAN handle them but it's going to be a struggle especially on the bigger trailer and stopping will be much more difficult. I tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer when loaded up weighs about 3200lbs or so and I'd definitely rather have a different vehicle. :m2: Gas mileage sucks (8-10mpg) and braking is drastically reduced (obviously). It tows it fine though. Keep her in 3rd gear.

jeffpierce2
02-23-2010, 01:04 PM
I pull a 21' that weighs about 4300 loaded and recommend a good brake controller.

Black04 SLT
02-23-2010, 01:44 PM
Not sure where you're traveling too but you would most definitely want a tranny cooler as well. The 3.42's aren't going to give you great pulling power or gas mileage. You'll be lucky to see 10mpg.

The truck CAN handle them but it's going to be a struggle especially on the bigger trailer and stopping will be much more difficult. I tow a 6x12 enclosed trailer when loaded up weighs about 3200lbs or so and I'd definitely rather have a different vehicle. :m2: Gas mileage sucks (8-10mpg) and braking is drastically reduced (obviously). It tows it fine though. Keep her in 3rd gear.

What is the reasoning behind this again? :confused:

deekster_caddy
02-23-2010, 03:31 PM
What is the reasoning behind this again? :confused:

It stops the transmission from hunting gears. You'll get more consistent wear and temps if the transmission gets into TCC lockup (torque converter) in 3rd gear than if it keeps shifting in and out of 4th. Moving the shifter to 3rd stops the constant shifting the heavy load will cause. You also keep the engine at a higher RPM, which although creates a little more heat and wear, also keeps the engine closer to your power peaks, making hill climbing easier.

Don't expect it to last long at 75... keep your speed down while towing that size trailer as well. You are fighting the wind much more than the frontal area of your truck now as well as the added weight, so make sure you have a tranny cooler.

AchiIIe
02-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Hey dude, i'm working in R.V about 5 years and if i can tell you a clue, NEVER over weight your towing capacity. A lots of person think that the they have no problem if it's only 100 or 200lbs more but I could tell you by experience, don't listen them.

When you're buying an R.V the most important think it's find something you really like first them after see for the weight of the travel trailer. With you're Tb you can easily go for 20 to 25 but pay attention to more. Cause when you're buying a R.V you have two thing to look about traveling. 1. the weight, by experience i can told you that if you're 2 in the R.V add 150-200lbs more and if you think that you're goint to traval with the gas and water add at least 200-300pounds so if I could recommand you a good way for you car, i would tell you about 4500 to 5000 lbs for all. Maybe you would have to reduce the size of you travel trailer but i can tell you that if you're buying to big you will hate traveling with your R.V. You will surely need sweatbar and a distribution weight kit and brake control( the most important ! ) For my self, i have a 2003 Envoy and I use it for traveling sometime and i never get problems but you have to know what you do.

Never over weight your towing capacity, i you can don't fill your tanks for minimize the weight. Always checks you're tires pressures of your travel trailer and you're car.

PS: If the weight limitation give you some problems of what buying you can call me at my job. Alco V.R 1-800-465-6444. Ask to my brother Alexandre to help you, cause now i'm at the school full time.

I hope my answer could help you.
AchiIIe