Won't Shift out of park [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Won't Shift out of park

JayKnud
04-25-2010, 11:50 AM
My 2004 Trailblazer will not shift out of park. At first it seemed that if we pushed harder on the brake it would allow us to shift out of park. Now we can't get it to budge. Is there an override we can use to get it out of park and if so where is it located? Is this a brake problem, transmission problem or something else?

I did a little more research on this great site and it is sounding like I may have a solenoid problem? There is a post about the override but it is for a 2005 will that same suggestions apply to my 2004?

the roadie
04-25-2010, 12:07 PM
There's an electric solenoid interlock (drawing item #3) on the right side of the shift console that you can push or pull on IIRC. It's controlled by a switch on the brake pedal and another one on the driver's side of the transmission (item #12), plus a fuse. Your ignition switch could also be flaky. Is your battery otherwise charged and does the engine start? Any other relevant maintenance history or offroad driving that might have caused under-vehicle damage? Do you want to troubleshoot this with a meter, or just override the solenoid and take it to a mechanic?

JayKnud
04-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I'll check the fuse, which fuse(s) would I check? In regards to your question about off road use, no there has been none. This is on road only vehicle.

kboy5
04-03-2011, 07:33 PM
The image posted by "The Roadie" was very helpful in my troubleshooting so I have registered and wanted to post what my problem was just in case anyone else had the same issue. I checked my shift cable under the truck and everything looked fine. I also checked everything else suggested and found that when turning on the car, the dash digitally shows that it is in Park, so there's no problem with the transmission and when the car is on and I push on the brake, I can hear the relay switch next to the shifter click. I took the whole center console apart using the instructions also found on this site and I was able to find that the actuator on the right side of the shifter does actually push in and release. When I push it in I am able to shift out of park. So I inspected further and found that the wire harness that plugs in right next to that button had a wire that was broken. I don't know what would have caused this. It didn't look cut by any tool, but obviously was plugged into the harness before and the wire was not connected anymore.

After soldering the wire back on, the shifter is unlocked electronically like it should and I am able to shift again. I also noticed that while that wiring harness was unplugged, it was impossible to take the key out of the ignition. Just an FYI. Hope this saves someone else the time and money it would take for a mechanic to solve this problem. (or not solve it and ask for a lot of money)

Kory

Lychsher
11-24-2013, 03:08 PM
This posts is*very*informative.*Thank you!

denniz58
01-12-2014, 05:45 PM
mine works sometimes....I might have to push the break pedal and push the button 5 times before it engages .. any items that would cause that
Dennis

JMP13
03-10-2014, 12:50 AM
What is #5 called. My 05 trailblazer will not shift out of park but is saying it is in drive. Look under the carriage and #5 part is not connected to #9...it wont budge either. Could it be locked up?

Joel1
03-10-2014, 01:28 AM
What is #5 called. My 05 trailblazer will not shift out of park but is saying it is in drive. Look under the carriage and #5 part is not connected to #9...it wont budge either. Could it be locked up?

There is a plastic bushing that holds those pieces together; it can break off and then those parts separate which is what happened to you.

Read this thread, especially page 6:
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=58817&page=6

If I were you, I'd buy the Dorman 14041 pack of bushings and use a dremel. That is the least "invasive" fix.

In the short term you can use wire to tie them together if you need to get somewhere.