[SOLVED] Backing Plate Question [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: [SOLVED] Backing Plate Question

Decembersend
05-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know of a how to replace the Backing Plates, I've searched and came up with nothing. Of course they're rusted to hell, so I bought new ones to replace them.

I just did all four rotors and pads (Drill slotted R1 Concepts) yesterday and wanted to do them at the sametime but could'nt :hopeless.

Decembersend
05-04-2010, 05:14 PM
This is crazy, I hate GM for doing this but it has to be done.

Apparently you need to lift the back end remove the tire, caliper and rotor. Then you need to make sure you can remove the differental fill plug because you have to remove the rear differental plate then pull the pinion and the axel comes off correct.

I need to do this myself I can't afford to take it to a shop. Midas wants $370 and thats with me providing the fluid and backing plates. They must be smoking something.

02bluegmcenvoy
05-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I have no backing plates anymore (rusted out and crumbled away) I was just going to search for a whole new rear axle get my G80 and while I'm at it. I have few months until the inspection is due.

Decembersend
05-04-2010, 06:21 PM
I have no backing plates anymore (rusted out and crumbled away) I was just going to search for a whole new rear axle get my G80 and while I'm at it. I have few months until the inspection is due.

Thats a good idea I would love to have G80 I wonder if this is anything else I have to change to make the G80 work.

numbnuts53
05-25-2010, 06:59 AM
I am going to attempt to replace my backing plates! I will say this however, I will never buy another GM truck aqgain. I have had vehicles for 15/20 years and never had the backing plates rust off. I was eyeing the Envoy for years and finnally bought a used 2003 with 30,000 miles on it and to have such a bazzaar part needing replacement. Shame on you GM! this is a bunch of garbage! A 5 gallon bucket with wheels on it:cry::cry::cry::mad::mad::mad:

Decembersend
05-26-2010, 01:09 AM
I bought new plates off of ebay that arent suppose to rust. GM went cheap on those, but I can't say I wouldnt buy another one in fact I have an eye out for an SS

regulator1175
05-26-2010, 02:33 AM
I am not sure about the rear backing plates, but they should be fairly easy. In order to replace the front backing plates, you need to remove the hubs. There is a pretty good how to found here: Link Link. (http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=60702&highlight=replace+hub)

numbnuts53
05-26-2010, 08:54 PM
My point is that to pay "BIG" money for a SUV these things should never ever happen. Replacing the "Rear" backing plates involves pulling out the rear axles. So, while you are on this journey, you may as well change the axle bearings and seals because I am not going to chance having the seal and bearing damage. Don't confuse these statements with not having a love affair with this SUV. I just feel betrayed with the quality issues. This is only one of many issues I feel that were non issues back when the American automotive industry was KING of the road! You youngsters missed out on
some superior machines.

numbnuts53
06-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I am going to replace my backing plates on my Envoy SLE. However, I surerly am not going to buy GM replacements. Besides Dorman, does anyone make a galvanized or a better grade steel item. Before I put them on I am sending them in to be powder coated. It may be obsessive but they won't rust again for along time.12256

JackSwagger
04-28-2011, 06:04 AM
While replacing the backing plates we should also check the disc ring as well, some times it also causes the problem.

Decembersend
04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
David, guess you forgot to mark your thread as "solved" eh? :laugh: :coffee

LMAO :duh:

I figured this was buried and no one would ever see it

edit: SOLVED :D

junkyardog
10-18-2011, 10:15 AM
I am going to replace my backing plates on my Envoy SLE. However, I surerly am not going to buy GM replacements. Besides Dorman, does anyone make a galvanized or a better grade steel item. Before I put them on I am sending them in to be powder coated. It may be obsessive but they won't rust again for along time.12256

I was reading thru the posts on backing plates and looks like no one ever responded to your question... better available backing plates... What did you do? Who did you go with? Do you have any part numbers. Thanks in advance.. Mike