[SOLVED] Instrument Guage Cluster Bad / INOP / Intermittent [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: [SOLVED] Instrument Guage Cluster Bad / INOP / Intermittent

swsmith
05-16-2010, 04:05 PM
The gauge cluster on my 03 Envoy (85K) began began losing total power during operation or at start-up. All guages would go to zero & sometimes it would power back up (making a winding noise each time) and then shut back down, or maybe keep working for a while. For a while, it seemed like it was a cold weather issue. My wife was getting really ticked when she drove it without any guage operation (like the fuel guage).

After searching through many different posts, I decided to replace the ignition switch myself, before doing the expensive instrument cluster swap. I purchased GM Part #15242754 AC Delco # D1426D on EBAY for $20 or so and followed the procedure detailed so well by MELLIS after searching "ignition switch replacement" here on TrailVoy.

12K miles later and I have had no issues. Thanks for the tips. The ignition switch I replaced did seem to have a lot of oil contamination on it, whether that was the issue or not, who knows...but it was fixed with the new switch.

Thanks everyone for your posts and info.:tiphat

trailvoy04
08-23-2011, 03:23 PM
My Envoy is experiencing no gear selector display and no mileage record. What was your problem.:confused:

MyWifesCar
09-07-2011, 07:34 PM
My Envoy is experiencing no gear selector display and no mileage record. What was your problem.:confused:

Man, you responded to a thread that was over a year old. Come on:bonk:. Not only that, but the guy clearly stated what his problem was and the steps he took to replace it. He even provided part numbers. Did you actually read the post??

:bonk::duh:

trailvoy04
09-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Unless you have an answer to my problem I wouldn't worry about how old the thread is.

busterbrown
09-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Unless you have an answer to my problem I wouldn't worry about how old the thread is.

An effective followup is not only "age of thread" dependent but also OP participation dependent. The thread creator had only 7 posts and hasn't logged on in about 10 months. It sometimes a good thing to preview a members profile before asking him/her direct questions. Just my :m2:

the roadie
09-08-2011, 10:42 AM
You missed the point. Normally, necroposting is discouraged because the OP is less likely to be still around, unless you checked. In this case, the OP's profile contains:

Last Activity: 11-17-2010 10:13 PM

He posted a problem AND his solution, and didn't see the need to hang out and post again.

In your case, you asked "What was your problem?" and the OP clearly said it was his ignition switch. So you found the thread using search, but didn't find the solution in the first post of the thread. I don't get it. :confused:

I would also guess that your gauge cluster lost its high voltage power supply for the blue fluorescent display, which has happened to others, and there are Ebay vendors and others you can find with Google who will fix it a LOT cheaper than a new one from GM.

trailvoy04
09-08-2011, 10:49 AM
Never mind. . . . . . . . .