Smell of nail polish/acetone coming from vents [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Smell of nail polish/acetone coming from vents

Kimber
05-18-2010, 04:13 PM
Last week I noticed the smell. But I only smell it if I'm going under 30mph. Also if I don't have ac or recuirlation air. This is on a 03 trailblazer. I did make appointment for service but would like an idea on what it could be until then. Oh and I am trying not to drive it until I know what it is.

bullethole
05-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Did someone let a bottle of nail polish roll into the defrost vent. It could be a marker of some kind also. The ink in those has a similar smell. Have to be careful around those vents. Especially where women and children are involved.

Kimber
05-19-2010, 11:24 AM
No haven't had anything in the car like nail polish or makers. I'm very paticular about my car.

My husband just called to say he's taking it to a dealerhip to have it checked. yay. I'll post what it turns out to be.

Chickenhawk
05-19-2010, 04:39 PM
"Chemical" smells should always be checked out right away. It is usually coming from the engine compartment, and indicates something has come disconnected or is touching or shorting somewhere.

What happens is that at highway speeds, the air flows relatively quickly through the engine compartment and over the windshield or underneath the vehicle. As you slow down, the air from the engine compartment now begins to get drawn in from the vents in front of the windshield, and this is where engine compartment smells are most noticeable.

It also applies to the exhaust system. If your cat is failing, it can cause 'sulphur-like' chemical smells that you only smell at idle or while moving slowly. Also, if there was any recent work done on the vehicle, fluids or paints can drip on the exhaust and create chemical smells when the exhaust gets hot.

New exhaust systems are especially bad for this as they slowly bake off the paint and the various labels.

Kimber
05-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the replys.

I did take it into a dealer and they can't find anything. Ran test, checked heating core, radiator etc. No leaks, nothing. They think maybe I ran through something and it splashed up onto the engine and is burning off? But I feel a bit better since having it check. And yes I still smell it.

Kimber
05-22-2010, 04:36 AM
Another question if anyone see this.

If your alternator is going bad would it give off a smell smiliar to what I described? As I was driving tonight my battery light came on. Voltage was 12 dropped down to 11 by the time i got home.

elementkidd
05-22-2010, 05:25 AM
Another question if anyone see this.

If your alternator is going bad would it give off a smell smiliar to what I described? As I was driving tonight my battery light came on. Voltage was 12 dropped down to 11 by the time i got home.

I would say your alternator is not charging or something is wrong. Normal readings when the engine is running, should be somewhere around 13.5-14.2 "ISH" volts. When it is NOT running you should be seeing around 11.5 - 12.5 "ISH" volts.

Decembersend
05-22-2010, 11:02 AM
When my alternator went it smelt like burning wires like an electrical smell. You can have it tested at advanced auto parts. Also if you or your husband are handy replace it yourselves it real easy.

lint
05-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Lacquer Paint ,and Lacquer thinner will smell just like finger nail polish.did anyone paint or touch up something under the hood or use something to clean dirt off of something there.... or stuff like goo
gone on carpet will give a smell like that.or some extreme cleaners for carpet spots will smell like that.:m2:

c good
05-22-2010, 03:55 PM
The windings on the alternator field coils are sealed in a varnish type of coating. It's possible the alternator is going bad as the low voltage indicates. The coils may be heating up and melting off the coating. Just a though. c good

Kimber
05-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Okay so I got a new alternator and the it's running at about 14.5 v. Now my question is why is the battery light still on. It's a fairly new battery (less than a yr) My husband said it needs to be driven to charge the battery but I've driven it propbably 1.5 hrs wouldn't it be charged by now?