[SOLVED] Dtc p0017 [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: [SOLVED] Dtc p0017

dla442
05-21-2010, 05:37 PM
For all of you experiencing a rough idle at a stop light or stalling and getting a p0017 dtc. Before you go and replace you crank and cam sensors (because its easy), look at you cam actuator solenoid on the front passenger side of the head(has two prong plug and one bolt). You will need to move the PS pump by removing the 3 bolts which can easily be accessed through the holes in the belt pulley. Slide out the acuator and see if the top 3 screens are clean and intact. If dirty use some carb cleaner but be carefull not too break the screens and remove the o-ring so the cleaner dont eat it up. My acuator has a broken screen in which part of it jammed into the solenoid and the other half is MIA in the engine. This is a top fix for the p0017 dtc. just under 100 bucks at dealer because they are the only ones who have it! Just passing on some experieince I gained from going the other way first on replacing cam/crank sensor first. It was the actuator all the time. I hope this helps all who have the p0017 codes. There is also another post on trailvoy that has some pics on removal of the acuator.

the roadie
05-21-2010, 10:51 PM
... just under 100 bucks at dealer because they are the only ones who have it! ...Thanks for the report, but you can also get discount GM parts at gmpartsdirect.com and parts4chevys.com for less than the local dealers. If only the local dealers would charge a fair price (close to what they charge local mechanics) than the ludicrous list prices they try to get.

BOBD1950
01-05-2011, 05:29 PM
For all of you experiencing a rough idle at a stop light or stalling and getting a p0017 dtc. Before you go and replace you crank and cam sensors (because its easy), look at you cam actuator solenoid on the front passenger side of the head(has two prong plug and one bolt). You will need to move the PS pump by removing the 3 bolts which can easily be accessed through the holes in the belt pulley. Slide out the acuator and see if the top 3 screens are clean and intact. If dirty use some carb cleaner but be carefull not too break the screens and remove the o-ring so the cleaner dont eat it up. My acuator has a broken screen in which part of it jammed into the solenoid and the other half is MIA in the engine. This is a top fix for the p0017 dtc. just under 100 bucks at dealer because they are the only ones who have it! Just passing on some experieince I gained from going the other way first on replacing cam/crank sensor first. It was the actuator all the time. I hope this helps all who have the p0017 codes. There is also another post on trailvoy that has some pics on removal of the acuator.

> I KNOW this thread is old..but a part # would be great.
Same condition..just happened 2 days ago, ..fking engine light ..thanks to my little Autel Maxiscan30 scanner, that I had at the ready for 2 years.!
... Runs great after you run thru the the sloppy rich idle,curcit. Can this code disable the engine..i.e.> no start..etc.? Assume ,this issue cant be good for the Cat.

the roadie
01-05-2011, 06:11 PM
The CPAS has been discussed in a hundred other threads, with the part number and pictures on how to change it even. There's also an aftermarket replacement from Dorman for a reported $40 now that wasn't available earlier in the year. :thumbsup:

Just search for "CPAS" ;) I know - it's not intuitive. Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid.

dennis50nj
02-01-2011, 10:40 PM
The CPAS has been discussed in a hundred other threads, with the part number and pictures on how to change it even. There's also an aftermarket replacement from Dorman for a reported $40 now that wasn't available earlier in the year. :thumbsup:

Just search for "CPAS" ;) I know - it's not intuitive. Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid.

great info, i just had that problem, i changed the oil and filter it ran ruff at idle and threw the code about 6 times, i kept clearing while driving, i pulled over shut engine off and restarted and it didnt come back on the rest of the way home, but i kept getting the p014, i always get that one, is there anyway to just turn them off and tune the timing with hptuners

08Envoy
03-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Hello all
First time poster...long time reader. I just thought I would post what I've bee experiencing lately with my 08 Envoy. Back in mid January, the vehicle starting making the tell-tale noise of an exhaust manifold leak. I took it to the dealer and they replaced under the power train warranty. A few days later, the CEL comes on and On Star tells me that it is a P0171 code. Back to the dealer who performs a fuel injector clean as well as a throttle body clean. They clear the codes and proclaim everything working. A few days later, the same code appears plus a P0300. Off to the dealer again and this time they replace all the sparkplugs, #6 coil, and both O2 sensors. I'm up to $1600.00 now, not including the manifold which was covered. On the drive home from the dealer, the light comes on again with P0171 and P0300. I am leaving on vacation the next day so decide to wait until I return before sending it back to the dealer. I also open a file with GM and let them know my frustrations. Once I get back in town, I take it to the dealer again. This time they tell me that I need a new head as there are some sticking intake valves which are causing the lean condition and the misfire. (If this was the problem all along, why did I need to replace the O2 sensors and coil?). 10 days later, it's ready to be picked up (covered under warranty). I get it home and then back out again that evening. On the drive home, another CEL comes on. This time On Star tells me that it is a P0017 code. Back to the dealer again this morning. I just got the call that it is the Camshaft Position Actuator. Apparently, when they tried to remove the head, they broke 9 bolts off in the block and while removing them, spilled some filings. Now the CPAS is clogged with filings and they are going to replace it, flush the engine a couple of times and insert a magnetic oil plug (covered under warranty).
What else can go wrong?

the roadie
03-17-2011, 06:39 PM
What else can go wrong?Very sad tale. They certainly owe you the money BACK for their misdiagnosis of the coil and sensors. But the worst that go wrong is the filings damaged EVERY part of the engine they were pumped into, and you have a severely life-limited engine now. Keep up your reports to GM in case the dealer won't give you a guarantee that the filings did no hidden damage.

08Envoy
03-28-2011, 07:02 PM
So it appears that the dealership cannot fix one problem without creating another one. They replaced he CPAS but started getting some other error codes with the camshaft plus now some problems with the crankshaft bearings. They called today and have decided that the best course of action is to replace the entire engine. I think this only includes the block & head (with their respective internals) and intake manifold. Am I correct? This is all covered under the PT warranty so I guess it could be worse but I will be without my vehicle for another 2 weeks.
Is there anything I should be concerned about later on regarding the R & R of an engine?

Thanks,

08Envoy
03-29-2011, 11:41 AM
Bumping this message in hopes of getting a reply.

08Envoy
04-12-2011, 11:53 PM
Finnaly got my vehicle back today. They replaced the engine and performed all the other anciliary work that goes along with doing that. They covered it under the PT warranty so I guess I should be thankful for that. The cost to do this out of warranty would have been over $13,000.00! The cost of the engine alone was $7800+ according to the invoice I saw. I hope this is it for awhile as I have only managed to put on about 20 miles since mid January due to it being in the shop for most of that time.