PF-61E oil filter [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: PF-61E oil filter

rbarrios
07-19-2010, 11:00 PM
So I just hit 155,003. Change oil light came on.
this time oil has 9555 on it. shorter than the previous of 11,xxx.
Anyways--- I drain oil.
And im about to put on filter when I notice that the box says PF-61E
the top looks different.
But according to the ACdelco website--- its the proper filter to use.
Aside from the classic PF-61.

When did they make the change?
Last time I changed the oil in the TB was about 1 yr 2 months ago....
Had to stop my oil change and look up info on this new PF-61E.

christo829
07-19-2010, 11:10 PM
If I remember correctly, there was a backflow issue with the regular PF-61. The
"e" was "enhanced" with a backflow limiter of some sort, like a one way valve.

Not exactly sure when the change was made, but at least December, which was
the last time I was looking up info on oil filters for the truck.

Cheers-

Chris

Blazernut
07-20-2010, 12:13 PM
If I remember correctly, there was a backflow issue with the regular PF-61. The
"e" was "enhanced" with a backflow limiter of some sort, like a one way valve.

Not exactly sure when the change was made, but at least December, which was
the last time I was looking up info on oil filters for the truck.

Cheers-

Chris

You nailed it Chris. The anti-backflow valve prevents the oil from draining out of the filter. An enhancement to prevent a dry start condition for the bearings if:

1) Your vehicle has been sitting for a long period of time between starts and/or
2) The design characteristics of the engine block places the filter above the oil pan allowing it to easily empty back into the pan as is common with horizontal mount filters.

rbarrios
07-20-2010, 01:16 PM
the original filter in the manual was the PF-58 I think...
wasnt the anti drain valve added to the PF-61?

so the PF-61E has what different internally?
I know the top looks different.

rbarrios
07-20-2010, 01:19 PM
the filters....

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz293/rbar70/DSC09071.jpg

ylab
07-20-2010, 01:29 PM
I wonder if that 'E' might stand for 'Extra Capacity', the newer filter appears to be be physically larger. Maybe its an optical illusion, but the filter just appears larger. I thought the PF61 already had a back-flow valve in it, didn't it?

Anyway, the end caps appears thinner, as does the rubber gasket, leading me to think that they've tried to increase the capacity of the filter. (Of course they might simply have just changed the manufacturer of the filter again....last I knew, ACD used Champion labs). I know the filter for my step-daughters '98 Honda has two filters available, one that's maybe 2.5x bigger than the other......one guess which one I bought.

rbarrios
07-20-2010, 01:41 PM
theyre the same size..
the only thing that looked bigger was the screw on hole...
but when I tried to put it on-- it screwed on..

the old filter says 3/4 -1 turn to tighten
the new one says 3/4 turn.

yes-- I too was under the impression the PF-61 quieted down the engine- because it had a back flow preventer.

07TB
07-20-2010, 11:41 PM
From Feb 2010 GM Techlink newsletter:

A smaller, redesigned Original Equipment (OE) oil filter is now in production that offers ACDelco's exclusive DuraguardŽ media protection.

The new filter applications (GM part numbers 19210283, 19210284, 19210285, and 19210286) are installed as original equipment in applicable new GM models. While performing oil changes on several 2010 GM models equipped with the new filter, such as the Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon, technicians may notice the smaller size of the filter compared to the old design.

The new oil filter features ACDelco's Duraguard synthetic cellulose-blended media that efficiently filters particles as small as 25 microns -- 1/3 the width of a human hair -- to ensure a clean supply of oil to engine components. It also has a full cover baseplate for easy installation in blind applications, a new nylon core that provides better flow characteristics and improved collapse strength, and a combination relief and anti-drainback valve that prevents dry starts and assures oil flow (where applicable).

ACDelco part number
Box Version GM part number
Durapack GM part number

PF46E
19210335 (PF46F)

PF47E
19210336 (PF47F)

PF52E
19210337 (PF52F)

PF61E
19210338 (PF61F)

awer25
07-21-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm not sure the new "E" line is better. Read this (http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html#ph8) under "2005 Version".

Diacom
07-21-2010, 11:32 AM
It does not appear that the PF-61E has the anti drain back valve in place. From the pic it is missing. It should be visible through the smaller holes on the screw face of the filter as a rubber ring just on the underside of said holes.

I do not see it where as it is visible on the old filter that was removed.

tblazed
07-21-2010, 02:28 PM
It does not appear that the PF-61E has the anti drain back valve in place. It shouldn't. The filter spec'd for the 4.2 i6 does not have the adb valve. This goes back to the original PF58 for the 2002 which was replaced with the PF61 which has now been replaced with the PF61E. My theory is, GM apparently thinks the oil should drain back at shutdown, rather than being cooked in the upper passages of a hot engine like the cam actuator oil circuit.

btw...I am still using up one of two cases of ACD PF58s I bought several years ago when they were discontinued.

awer25
07-21-2010, 02:41 PM
It shouldn't. The filter spec'd for the 4.2 i6 does not have the adb valve. This goes back to the original PF58 for the 2002 which was replaced with the PF61 which has now been replaced with the PF61E. My theory is, GM apparently thinks the oil should drain back at shutdown, rather than being cooked in the upper passages of a hot engine like the cam actuator oil circuit.

btw...I am still using up one of two cases of ACD PF58s I bought several years ago when they were discontinued.

Good idea - they're now over $15 shipped (http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-Ac-Delco-PF58/dp/B000EPZPO2/).

tblazed
07-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Interesting that ONE dealer on Amazon still has some. Shipping cost is the killer.

The no adb valve GM says to use pretty much dismissed any aftermarket filter for me, which is why I stocked up. They were cheap at the time too, $30 per case of 24 :D

davranyou
07-22-2010, 04:05 AM
the filters....

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz293/rbar70/DSC09071.jpg

As a purchaser for a jobber parts store, Acdelco end their endless supercessions exist only to cause make my job miserable with make work projects around the store.

I also know that Acdelco is not a manufacturer of parts, but a reboxer. Everytime they get a new lower quote on a filter number from a different supplier, a new part number announcement pops up in my inbox.

Of the two filters pictured, I know the classic design on the right was made by WIX. The solid one piece mounting plate is a dead giveaway compared to the flimsy tin plate with thread ring mounted in it all with other random assembled pieces. Next time you are doing an oil change, compare the two if the store stocks both. The weight difference is very noticeable.

The solid one piece design is used by WIX to hold up against higher than normal oil pressures. I know I wouldn't want to have any "assembled" pieces break off and end up causing some trouble.

Acdelco use to use primarily WIX as their source, but have been going a little bit heavier with Luberfiner lately. If you have the option of purchasing the PF61E or the WIX. I would go with the WIX. AcDelco has been having cashflow issues as well ever since GM went through bankruptcy. There have been alot of cheap filter replacements in the past year. The premium name of AcDelco is not always worth it IMHO.