6 disc changer error [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: 6 disc changer error

hcteks_1g
08-24-2010, 08:07 PM
I did some searching on google and found a thread here in the archive but seeing as it was posted in 06 I didn't know if anything new has come about. The problem lies as follows. Today I took my trailblazer in to get the stepper motors replaced ( speedometer was acting up ). When I get back in it and drive off I try to turn my cd player on. This is also not the bose player. I get the error "player error" and the head unit switches back to the FM station I was on. All the cds in the 6 disc changer are burned discs ( memorx cd-r ). Now should this have anything to do with the dash being taken apart for the stepper motors being replaced, or did the factory head unit just bite the dust and should I just replace with an aftermarket head unit. I'd also like to know if it comes to replacing it, could somebody be so kind to point me in the right direction to one that will work with the steering wheel controls. Thanks in advance!

chevtrlblzr
08-24-2010, 10:33 PM
Strange that it happened right after they had it.
Occasionally they 'reset' and work again if you pull the radio fuse for a few minutes.

ljgenot
09-02-2010, 04:05 PM
I have a 2003 Trailblazer and my CD player stopped and gave me the same error! I have been using it exclusively for several years now by listening to Audio books that I borrow from the library. I was listening to one on Monday, went to change to the next disc and got the "Player error" as it switched to the radio. I will try pulling my fuse and see if it resets it. But, if not, I'm with hcteks_1g and need some recommendations for replacing it. I like listening to the radio but I miss my books. If pulling the fuse does not fix it how hard will it be to get the library's cd out of the player?

hcteks_1g
09-03-2010, 04:46 PM
I pulled the fuse, turned on the TB and let it idle for about 30 seconds before shutting it off and putting the fuse back in. Once the display on the head unit showed there were six discs in the changer, I pushed the CD/AUX button and I still got the player error message. Maybe I'll pull the fuse and let it idle for a longer time to maybe see if that will do, my guess is it won't help it. I might disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes and let it all reset. Maybe that will do the trick, if not looks like I'll be getting a new head unit

juanflight
09-05-2010, 08:19 PM
To me sounds like the laser died. If none of the discs work. Do some more research, but just in case you need it, I have a 6 disc changer bose radio I could sell.
Let me know.

Roamingdoc
11-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Have '02 with standard 6 Disc CD changer. Was working perfectly, 'then' would not load CDs, crunching noises, whirring sounds, etc... just as several in this thread and others have mentioned. Fuse 'fix' was not... now won't load or unload or play.

HOW easy is it to remove the changer - assume (but set me straight if I'm wrong) that the 'dash assembly' has to be removed???

I'm figuring something is jammed, will see but ANYONE with information on 'how to remove' the changer, please feel free to advise.

Many thanks!!!

mwfaith1971
11-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Here's how to remove the dash faceplate, so you can get to the HU: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=6459

<att

Roamingdoc
11-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Thank you mwfaith1971...

I note that there are "two" graphics at the link - the top looks very easy and the "faceplate" seems like that is ALL we are removing. HOWEVER the Trailblazer is not listed with that graphic but instead is below showing the "whole" dash removal for access to the unit. IS that correct?

Many thanks!!!

mwfaith1971
11-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Yes, it's correct. The TB is a PITA compared to the Envoy. Don't know why they did it that way...but it's GM engineers at their best. :weird:

Matt

Roamingdoc
11-16-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks Matt,
I've got it scheduled for my Saturday work... heheheh. Grocery hauler strikes again.
Aside from the trans going last year, the exhaust manifold gasket going early this year, and all the squeaks and moans from the chassis... it isn't a bad auto. However it was costly early on and we'd not buy a 'new model' vehicle ever again (thought I 'know' that but "Honey, I want it" overruled).

Now the dash comes out.. heheh. Take care!!!

juanflight
11-16-2010, 11:47 AM
It sounds and looks pretty easy for the envoy, but against some members here it's not. In order to take those 2 bottom screws, you have to take out the entire center console. Like Matt said, it's GM engeniering as its best!
I've done that job at least 9 times and if you want 1) space, 2) don't want to scratch the bezel, 3) don't want to break anything (plastic or leather), then you must take it out. I'm not sure if its just matter of a year and model of the envoy or what but on my truck its a must to take that console and shifter out. Its not hard to do it, just 9 screws and its out. It takes me literally 2 minutes to do it, but its just a PITA! Hahahaha

loveless
11-16-2010, 12:26 PM
I've had this happen on my last Bravada and is currently happening on my new one. On the last one, I removed the radio and dismantled the CD area to remove the discs... and proceeded to ruin the CD player in the process. :mad: I got the discs out but never got to use the CD player again.

Somehow the reading arm on the laser got stuck cockeyed and pinned the discs in the changer. I'm going to take the new one out and mess with it one of these days. Thank goodness for MP3 players and FM modulators.

Iahawkeye
11-16-2010, 12:54 PM
It sounds and looks pretty easy for the envoy, but against some members here it's not. In order to take those 2 bottom screws, you have to take out the entire center console. Like Matt said, it's GM engeniering as its best!
I've done that job at least 9 times and if you want 1) space, 2) don't want to scratch the bezel, 3) don't want to break anything (plastic or leather), then you must take it out. I'm not sure if its just matter of a year and model of the envoy or what but on my truck its a must to take that console and shifter out. Its not hard to do it, just 9 screws and its out. It takes me literally 2 minutes to do it, but its just a PITA! Hahahaha

Just a thought, when i pulled out my radio a few years back, i never replaced the bottom screws that are hidden behind the console. I don't think i had to remove the console to get them out, but they were a pain to remove. That said, i did not want to mess with it again if i ever needed to pull the radio. Bottom line, I have not ever had a rattle from the bezel.

loveless
11-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Just a thought, when i pulled out my radio a few years back, i never replaced the bottom screws that are hidden behind the console. I don't think i had to remove the console to get them out, but they were a pain to remove. That said, i did not want to mess with it again if i ever needed to pull the radio. Bottom line, I have not ever had a rattle from the bezel.

Good idea! As a sidebar, I don't know if it is the same for the Envoy as it is for the Bravada, but I can get to my radio without removing the entire console.

1. Remove 6 phillips screws from center console storage area and remove
2. Loosen T15 Torx screw from shift knob
3. Working from the back to front, slowly lift off top of console to remove clips (I have been able to do this without having to remove the boot on the shift lever)
4. Now you have full access to the two phillips screws at the bottom of the bezel.

juanflight
11-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Good idea! As a sidebar, I don't know if it is the same for the Envoy as it is for the Bravada, but I can get to my radio without removing the entire console.

1. Remove 6 phillips screws from center console storage area and remove
2. Loosen T15 Torx screw from shift knob
3. Working from the back to front, slowly lift off top of console to remove clips (I have been able to do this without having to remove the boot on the shift lever)
4. Now you have full access to the two phillips screws at the bottom of the bezel.

That's exactly how is done on my voy. But I've heard some people being able to remove those botom screws without moving that console. But seriusly..... I couldn't get it to work.... (Maybe I'm waaay too stupid:confused:) bottom line I've taken that in and out so many times I can do it with my eyes shut and no broblems whatsoever!

Roamingdoc
11-20-2010, 05:36 PM
And so it goes.
Followed the 'diagram' (previously linked in page 1) to remove or 'move out of the way' the 'dash insert'. However, our '02 Trailblazer (not Envoy) is recalcitrant. The whole insert would not come past the turn selector and would not slide out upwards either (we were able to get it fully separated by removing "ALL" the screws and 7mm bolts as directed, worked fine... the 'pins' that you are popping out are pretty robust, we didn't break any).

We gained access to the radio however to get to the 6 CD Changer you have to take unbolt three 7MM bolts to slide out the top Changer, radio, etc.. then disconnect the two 'connectors' in the back (one blue, one black, both unsnap by squeezing the levers on the connectors) - ONE remains, a single wire that must go to the ant (??) At any rate, it didn't appear to come out easily (does it???).

The unit is out, remove the front face plate (at least we had to) by systematically unsnapping the 8 'tangs' the fit over small metal buttons on the unit... once the face place is off, remove the 'template' that it attaches too (two torque screws and 3 'very small' bolts, about 1/3" long and I used a less than 4mm head) - then I removed the 'top' of the CD Changer unit, unbolt one bolt in the back and 'pop' off the connectors at each edge. This exposes ALL the internal workings of the CD changer.

There we noted the arm would not 'feed' in either insertion or removal of CDs. It did move the CDs and play them, one thru 6, but once in, none could be removed or replaced. I don't know what is wrong with that one arm.

We were able to insert and seat (had to assist with a very small screw driver each CD to seat) all six.

SADLY (!) when we finally got the UNIT back in (there is one cable/elect wiring in the back that likes to 'drop into' the slot where the unit rests - have to hold that up with a screw driver from the glove box and then it is almost out of the way -wiggling the unit moved it the rest of the way) IT WOULD NOT PLAY the CDS.

Took it all back out, removed the CDs. Will buy a portable for an upcoming trip and then shop for a replacement Changer.

Thanks all. Take care.

Roamingdoc
11-20-2010, 07:03 PM
So...we need a new 6 CD Changer to replace the broken one, dang!

I will search around here to see if anyone has found a Delco to replace with. The one we had in was made on Feb 11, 2001 so it is long in the tooth.

The 'arm' is the culprit, just won't swing much anymore and you can hear it strain. We are planning a road trip and I was hoping to have CDs, right now it may be quiet.

Thanks again for the help. Anyone has links to a replacement Changer, feel free to post. Be safe all!:tiphat

juanflight
11-21-2010, 02:51 AM
I have one. take a peak in the classified section. check if it will work on your vehicle and let me know if you are interested.

mwfaith1971
11-21-2010, 12:05 PM
You can also get them here: http://www.replacementradios.com/. If you want to be able to hook up XM or Sirius and make it look OEM, get one from an 03-05 full size truck that has XM capabilities. It will cost you about $60 more.

Matt

Roamingdoc
11-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Many thanks... Juan and Matt... will check them out.

ANYONE know of a 'substitute', external, that will play CDs and has its own speakers as the '02 TBlzrs do not have the AUX input to play thru the system speakers?

We won't have time before a trip to get the orig radio replaced, etc. but want some tunes.

Thanks greatly!!!

mwfaith1971
11-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Any time. Sadly, the only thing I can think of for a portable is a small "boom box".

Matt

Roamingdoc
11-22-2010, 09:52 AM
Good Morning Matt... yeah, that was kind of our sad conclusion until we can get a replacement. MY concerns on the 'actual' replacement is getting it programmed. I am opposed to handing a 'dealer' $104 or more to just slap in the code to activate the radio... but what is one to do?

Take care.
Doc

mwfaith1971
11-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Doc,

You can get it repaired by the same joint that sells them. Here's the link: http://replacementradios.com/product_info.php?cPath=289_316&products_id=769 That way, you don't need to fork over another $100 for the VIN programming.

Matt

Roamingdoc
11-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Wow.. Matt! Thanks.
I have to figure out how the one hard wired 'ant' cable comes out, off and I can send it in. This is a good thing. We'll figure out a way to have tunes in the meantime, even a cheap boom box.

I've had no issue with getting the unit out just the ant is really hard into the system and I would suspect will be the most difficult to remove.

Many thanks
Doc:)

mwfaith1971
11-23-2010, 09:47 AM
No worries.

Matt

Roamingdoc
02-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Matt and all...
Visited this in Nov of 10 and now Christmas, New Years and the Super Bowl are over and I "have" to get the radio out, sent in for CD changer repair.

The antenna is proving to be a real PITA and I'm about to cut the dang thing.
This is a TBlzr, '02 with the stock AM/FM (Not Bose) with 6CD Changer. The black cable/cord comes out of the radio and disappears under the dash running towards the external antenna and I am 'assuming' it connects there. But I'd doubt the antenna is 'part' of the radio. It doesn't seem to 'unplug' (Push, pull) or unscrew. :no:

ANYONE have experience in how this comes out? Thanks again!

mwfaith1971
02-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Got me stumped. I would have thought it would pull out like any "normal" antenna lead.

Matt

juanflight
02-08-2011, 01:10 AM
Yeah, just pull the antenna cable out of the unit.

khnitz
12-18-2011, 12:56 PM
I ran into this issue with a friend's 2005 Trailblazer (standard Bose audio, 6-disc in-dash changer and XM). The display indicated that all the discs were inserted, but the changer would not respond when selected.

I unplugged the radio, let it sit, and plugged it back in - there was a slight "noise" of movement from the changer, and then it stopped and then nothing more. I did this several times, just to be sure. If everything was working OK, I'd expect to hear the changer cycle through all the discs as part of its initialization. It was as if the changer was trying to go through this cycle, but then stopped when it hit an obstruction or difficulty.

I decided to open the radio...I took the top off by removing the one screw (3/16") at the back of the radio and then taking the top cover off. When I looked down into the changer, I saw that one disc seemed out of place. I took a small screwdriver and gently nudged the disc and it "popped back into place". When I put it all back together and re-connected power to the radio, the changer went through its full cycle through all 6 discs, and everything worked normally again.

So, for this one, this was the simple resolution.

------------

Now, there was a similar issue that came up on my sister-in-law's 2005 Chevy Equinox. In her case, the battery had drained down as her daughter was in the driveway listening to the radio. When the car was jumpstarted and running again, the in-dash 6-disc changer wouldn't work - it just said "CD Changer Error".

I tried removing and reconnecting power to the radio a few times, but I got a similar "slight 'noise' of movement from the changer, and then it stopped and then nothing more". The radio is slightly different in this one, but I was able to get access to the changer unit and look for issues. This time, there was no obvious CD out of place, but I checked that none of them were doubled-up in a single positon or jammed. Still, when it all was back together and power was reconnected, it still wasn't working.

I'll likely remove the radio and send it in to United Radio in East Syracuse, NY after the holidays to get it repaired for her. They'll pull the discs and send them back with the remanufactured radio replacement. I've used them to get a neighbor's GM radio ('99 S-10 Blazer) and a co-worker's radio (?? Buick Rendesvous) repaired in the past.