Through Glass antennas and tint [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Through Glass antennas and tint

dougstech
11-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Has anyone used through the glass mount antennas on a TB? I am wondering how the tint will affect it. I already know that the antennas aren't the best, but I am unmarked and don't want roof antennas. I have used one at home to use as an outside antenna for my handheld, and it worked great through my home window, but it would be different with tint. :bonk:

dougstech
11-19-2010, 12:29 AM
It really depends on the frequency used. If it is UHF I wouldn't trust the through the glass antenna.

I plan on using 3. CB, scanner, and two-way radio.

BO TIE SS
11-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Early on I had heard that through-glass antennas didn't work well with tint. However, the early Onstar antennas were through-glass and on tinted windows. Perhaps the tinting that GM uses doesn't affect the signal? :undecided

tblazed
11-19-2010, 09:30 AM
I have a Larsen KG2/70 dual-band glass mounted antenna and it works great. Transmits 35 Watts at 440 mHz no problem, 25 miles or so back to the repeater. Tint in this glass seems to have zero effect. Been on my TB since 2002. Mounted it where the OnStar antenna would have been on that year model.

LTFFNREMTP
11-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Glass mounts have their place. I have used a few and they work well. I think they work best in VHF. They will receive fine with a scanner, never tried CB wise. I tried a UHF glass mount and SWR was too far out of line, so i ditched it. The VHF is spot on! Tint didn't seem to affect SWR at all. What type of two way radio/what frequency band?

tblazed
11-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Glass mounts have their place... What type of two way radio/what frequency band?
Yep and a good place for one was on my Trailblazer. Mine is strictly amateur radio (Extra class here).. Yaesu FT8500 dual-band 2m/70cm. Last time I checked the SWR was 1.5:1 or so, or lower, across both bands. Some may say a dummy load has perfect SWR, but the range distance tests and RF field strength testing proved it works well.

xhondastyle07x
11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
The problem with tint and a glass mount is that the antenna will pull the tint back from the window due to the weight. You need to put the antenna where there isn't tint or tint around the antenna

tblazed
11-19-2010, 11:04 AM
The problem with tint and a glass mount is that the antenna will pull the tint back from the window due to the weight. You need to put the antenna where there isn't tint or tint around the antenna The factory tint is IN the glass, not on the glass. No problem.

dougstech
11-19-2010, 11:15 AM
The problem with tint and a glass mount is that the antenna will pull the tint back from the window due to the weight. You need to put the antenna where there isn't tint or tint around the antenna

It's factory tint.

I planned to mount it on the back side window, in the trunk area. Those trunk windows are the only 2 that I can use.

BO TIE SS
11-19-2010, 11:21 AM
The factory tint is IN the glass, not on the glass. No problem.
:iagree:

And maybe it was the add-on film tint that was a problem. I remember installing a car phone antenna ( we all remember car phones, right? ;) ) on my S10 blazer. I had film tint over factory and was warned by the store to cut a hole in my film before mounting the inside part of the antenna.

ylab
11-19-2010, 03:05 PM
The only factory tints that are an issue or radios are on some imports or vehicles equipped with 'insta-clear' front/rear windshields. (Remember the old Buick/Lincoln ads, where the 1/4 frost melted within 30 seconds ). Those tints contained metal particles that will interfer with radio transmission.....same reason an Easy-Pass cannot be used with those vehicles and you need the bumper/license mounted unit. (We're not affected by that issue).

dougstech
11-19-2010, 05:38 PM
UHF is hit or miss, VHF is usually decent. I have never seen a through the glass CB antenna. For a scanner it doesn't take much. When you say unmarked are you a volunteer?

Not a volunteer. All my antennas are currently on the roof, laying flat to hide them. They aren't working, and I usually have to use my portable to be heard. Seems like the only way they work, is if they are pointed up. This is something I don't really want to do, but have to compromise on. The window mount seems to be "stealth" enough. I will end up wiring the AM/FM antenna to the scanner.

dougstech
11-19-2010, 05:58 PM
I looked at the phantom. Didn't think it would work because of its size, and I can't drill either. The CB is 27MHz, and is receive only. The mic is not attached. The scanner is the same way. It just scans in "close-call" mode, looking for transmissions in the vicinity on any frequency. There is an 800Mhz motorola too. From this discussion, it seems that I would be able to make everything work glass mount, except that 800mhz

LTFFNREMTP
11-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Here is your 800 mhz solution. Never tried one tho to tell you how well it works.

http://www.sti-co.com/antenna-products/covert-antennas/hidden-antennas/concealed-internal-antennas/

dougstech
11-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Here is your 800 mhz solution. Never tried one tho to tell you how well it works.

http://www.sti-co.com/antenna-products/covert-antennas/hidden-antennas/concealed-internal-antennas/

Ah, interesting! It's quite stealth too. I was concerned that an internal antenna would not get out much, and that there would be alot of RF inside the car. This antenna has tiny pieces that stick outside the car, seems to solve both problems.

LTFFNREMTP
11-19-2010, 08:06 PM
This antenna has tiny pieces that stick outside the car, seems to solve both problems.

Unless you're seeing something i'm seeing, everything is internal. It's just underneath the glass. The main body goes between the headliner and the roof and the masts stick down by the glass but still inside.

dougstech
11-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Unless you're seeing something i'm seeing, everything is internal. It's just underneath the glass. The main body goes between the headliner and the roof and the masts stick down by the glass but still inside.

Ah yes. You're right. That seems like it would be difficult to mount, but not impossible. I'll still order it and see how it works, then mount it if it works well.

LTFFNREMTP
11-19-2010, 08:37 PM
I think it will probably have to be mounted in order to work properly. I would be willing to bet that the base has to be grounded to the roof of the vehicle to have the proper ground plane. The link to the installation instructions PDF is no good so i can't really tell.

Either way, let us know how it works once you get it!

BO TIE SS
11-19-2010, 11:40 PM
it seems that I would be able to make everything work glass mount, except that 800mhz
It depends on if your using simplex or a repeater. Remember, almost all car phone antennas were glass mount. And they were 800mhz.

dougstech
11-20-2010, 12:47 PM
That's an even better idea, since I can just replace the useless onstar antenna.

85vette
11-20-2010, 01:26 PM
My CTS V came with a thru the window ant. for the Onstar.