Easy way to take off fan [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Easy way to take off fan

hpimichael02
11-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Hey guys I've tried many things to get the fan off and I have had no luck, are the threads reversed?? And how did you hold the pulley from spinning(a pulley holder)?

Thanks

jimmyjam
11-19-2010, 07:44 AM
well.. theres no easy way...

i'm pretty sure you spin it counter clock wise if you are facing it from the front

autozone loans out clutch kits, there is a u shaped wrench that you secure behind the water pump bolts to hold the pump still while you turn the nut.

last time i did it i used an air chisel and just let the belt hold the pump, worked like a charm.

hpimichael02
11-19-2010, 07:56 AM
An air chisel?? How did u place that?? I have one to lol

jimmyjam
11-19-2010, 08:16 AM
you just place it on the left of the nut, so that it is rotating the nut off of the water pump. it took me a few seconds to get it loose

hatchet669
11-19-2010, 09:08 AM
i took off the serp belt... attached a big strap wrench around the water pump pulley and put a break bar on the nut and i got it off in 3 pulls...

hpimichael02
11-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Where did you get the strap wrench ??

greeneyerocker
11-19-2010, 10:06 AM
you just place it on the left of the nut, so that it is rotating the nut off of the water pump. it took me a few seconds to get it loose
:iagree: I did the same thing with the air chisel. Took me about 3 seconds of chiseling, but it finally came loose. I tried the tools from the auto places, but mine was stubborn.

hpimichael02
11-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Yea mine is being really stubborn I got a fan clutch removal tool but it only fits over two of the four bolts it's to narrow , I gotta find my air chisel , go figure saw it 3 days ago and now I can't find it.

jimmyjam
11-19-2010, 10:19 AM
Yea mine is being really stubborn I got a fan clutch removal tool but it only fits over two of the four bolts it's to narrow , I gotta find my air chisel , go figure saw it 3 days ago and now I can't find it.

they sell strap wrenches at lowes, don't know if they have one big enough though

the first time i did it w/o the chisel i had to loosen the bolts on the water pump pulley, put the tool behind the heads of the bolts and tighten them back down over the tool.

DJones
11-19-2010, 10:27 AM
I used a pipe wrench (with 2' handle) to hold two of the water pump bolts and an adjustable wrench for the fan clutch.

hatchet669
11-19-2010, 11:08 AM
i had a strap wrench i got from sears... was a 2fer pack, a small and big one... the big one worked great... u place it in the right spot so the handle hits a spot on the engine and holds it... so u got 2 hands for the big wrench...

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/9990000037223911?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt= 90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

13 bucks at sears..

hpimichael02
11-19-2010, 11:12 AM
I got a strap wrench from autozone, and that was a fail, when the engine cools a little more I'm gonna try put the wrench behind the head bolt and go from there , if all fails I'm taking it to chevy or Goodyear to have them just crack it and I'll tow my car home lol

hpimichael02
11-19-2010, 03:48 PM
So took a nap and re tackled it, let's just say this is one stubborn SOB I broke the big strap wrench and didn't even crack it, so I'm gonna re rent the tool tomorrow and try a different approach :(((

jimmyjam
11-19-2010, 04:00 PM
find that air chisel mang!

DZP
11-19-2010, 04:56 PM
I never could find a rental tool that fit right. There were either too big or too small. I ended up getting with a friend that was a GM mechanic to get the right tool. Good luck with that. Never thought about a though. Makes sense now that I think about it. The cheapest and strongest strap wrench that I ever had was the one that helped be hold my pants up. Used that trick all the time on over tightened hard to reach oil filters.

krazy3
11-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I have used the tool from Autozone when I did the water pump and it was crap. The one I got from O'reilly's when I did the fan clutch, worked like a charm.

greeneyerocker
11-19-2010, 10:39 PM
I remember one member say he took it to a local auto repair shop and paid the mechanic $10 or so to have him use the air chisel to loosen nut and then he changed it in the parking lot. Might be worth a shot providing you get lucky and choose a good mechanic that will do it for you!:m2:

hpimichael02
11-20-2010, 06:47 AM
Yea I would to to o reileys but there's not one in Orlando, and I'm about to take it to a shop I got one more trick, but by the way found my air chisel and 2-3 mins of pounding and it didn't come lose, this thing is like welded on hahaha

dag48066
11-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Large pipe wrench on two of the water pump pully bolts held to the battery side, then open end wrench (1 1/2 inch size?) on fan nut pulled to air intake side. I just did R & R on water pump. It sounded like it had marbles.
DAG

hpimichael02
11-20-2010, 08:59 AM
I did try the pipe wrench idea last night and it damn well mangled my bolts on the pump this thing just doesn't want to come off , one last trick here we go

hpimichael02
11-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Finally got it off and disconnected everything even top cross member and still won't budge any ideas I don't wanna force anything and break my radi

I'm trying to move the radi forward as the Haynes manual says

hpimichael02
11-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Wooohooo thanks to every one that helped me I owe y'all one, I'll send a beer lol

The end result in why I'm doing this :)

Vette fan :)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b1/hpimichael02/7145b22d.jpg

hatchet669
11-20-2010, 12:15 PM
you will be amazed by the ammount of room u;ll get with an electric fan... i love it

hpimichael02
11-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Lol yea it's nice but since it's on the factory shroud and I was scared to recess it to far it's really close like almost touching the pulley oh well it's on,

Last final question, does it suck air as pushing air towards the engine or pushing are forward through the radi , I'm thinking the first one just wanna be sure before wiring

fatmanaz
11-20-2010, 01:45 PM
I used a pipe wrench and a srewdriver to hold it from spinning.Thank goodness it wasn't tight like your's.
I did not remove the Shroud just removed the 4 bolts on the fan Clutch laid the Fan clutch down by the Rad. but before that I placed cardboard against the rad. (so I would not damage the Rad) It was a little tight but alot easer than removing the shroud.

I did try to remove the shroud but I gave up :hissy:

Just a hint: Do not back out the big 1 1/2 nut all the way. Losen the bolt's that hold the fan on to the fan clutch. The reson why is because when you back it out all the way the fan is pushed against the shroud and will cause a wooble around 3500 to 3700 RPM mark your fan with the fan clutch so it goes back the same way for balance.

I did it in 2 1/2 hour's only because I took a 15 minute break before putting it all back togeather.

jimmyjam
11-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Lol yea it's nice but since it's on the factory shroud and I was scared to recess it to far it's really close like almost touching the pulley oh well it's on,

Last final question, does it suck air as pushing air towards the engine or pushing are forward through the radi , I'm thinking the first one just wanna be sure before wiring

pulls air through the radiator, blows on the engine

hatchet669
11-20-2010, 03:39 PM
pulls air through the radiator, blows on the engine

:iagree: confirmed... the only time u had a pusher is either the fan is in front of the radiator... or the radiator is in the back of the vehicle (off road vehicles or fork lifts typical)

hpimichael02
11-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Well it's in no more 50 ton stock fan and clutch, it cools great, any one want an Egan let me kno any one want a stock clutch and fan $60+ shipping

Bay Wolf
11-21-2010, 11:18 PM

Thank you. The air chisel is much simpler than the ill-fitting fan clutch rental tools from AutoZone or O'Reilly. It took seconds instead of hours (like last time) to get the nut loose.

Grizzledbiker
04-24-2011, 11:47 PM
I about gave up myself. But after getting away from it after a day of frustration. I hopped back to it after the easter bunny went home. He suggested and what worked was using a long 1/2" combination wrench with the box end over one of the fan pulley bolts and then turned a bit so the wrench wedged against the adjacent bolt. The open end was then wedged against the harmonic balancer. Then I found an old craftsman 12" pipe wrench just fit nicely on the big nut. This provided a solid do-it-yourself arrangement. But hitting the wrench with a regular hammer did nothing. What I needed was some leverage like a piece of pipe to slip over the handle of the pipe wrench. Not finding any, I used a 1-1/8 combination wrench. Voila! A few strong tugs and she broke loose! My arm unfortunately immediately slammed down and got scraped up on the nylon hood prop retainer. Oh well, dripping a bit of red stuff I grinned excitedly to the wife, "I got it!" Tomorrow night I'll tackle that noisy bad a/c clutch bearing. fun stuff, eh?

duh
04-25-2011, 09:25 PM
I was a dummy and bought a pulley holder and wrench from the Snap-On guy. I couldn't find one to rent anywhere and no-one could find one cheaper. $170 later my clutch was off and replaced, and unfortunately I still have the stupid check engine light on. Maybe I should rent the darn thing out.

Rickochet
04-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Many people can not figure out how to hold the water pump pulley to remove the fan clutch. If you have a holding tool that has a large cut out and it doesn't really fit anything.....

The tool that holds the pulley slides in behind the 4 bolts that hold the water pump pulley on. Loosen all 4 of the bolts about 3/8" and the holding tool slides right in. Tighten the bolts and use a 1/2' breaker bar and the holding tool will do the job it was made for.

And as a reminder, every GM fan clutch I have seen is a typical right hand thread. Remember, lefty loosy--righty tighty!