2004 GMC Envoy license plate lights won't work [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: 2004 GMC Envoy license plate lights won't work

jimmackey11
11-21-2010, 10:58 AM
I can't seem to get my license plate lights to work. I tried replacing them with no luck. I checked the fuses (fuse #14 I believe but i checked all of them anyway) and no blown fuses. I also believe the left rear tail lights are wired to this same fuse and they work just fine. Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

the roadie
11-21-2010, 11:21 AM
You're right - rear fuse #14 also feeds the left rear parking light. But the liftgate wiring harness often breaks from flexing inside the rubber boot near the hinges.

You need a meter to be sure (EVERYBODY should own at least a $1.99 on sale Harbor Freight meter) if it's the ground or the power lead in the liftgate that's bad, or the sockets themselves.

Are all the other liftgate functions working?

jimmackey11
11-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Yes all the liftgate functions are operating. I will need to buy a tester as you suggest - thanks! I can figure how to test the light bulb sockets but how do I test the ground or power lead? Do you mean disconnect the lights at the connection and test there?

MichEnvoyBoy
11-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Whoa... lets stop the Trailvoy train right there!!! :D

My license plate lights stopped working too a few years ago. I replaced lights, of course no blown fluse, etc...

Started taking tailgate apart, turns out the license plate light wiring harness broke itself in half (it seems its stretched kinda thin from the factory - it shouldve been designed 1-2" longer). I bought a new harness, which was strangely in stock, at my local GMC dealer. :m2:

egalvan33
11-21-2010, 10:31 PM
Whoa... lets stop the Trailvoy train right there!!! :D

My license plate lights stopped working too a few years ago. I replaced lights, of course no blown fluse, etc...

Started taking tailgate apart, turns out the license plate light wiring harness broke itself in half (it seems its stretched kinda thin from the factory - it shouldve been designed 1-2" longer). I bought a new harness, which was strangely in stock, at my local GMC dealer. :m2:

I have the same issue and couldn't figure out what it could be. How do you take the tailgate apart?

jimmackey11
11-28-2010, 08:07 AM
I've tested the sockets where the lights get installed and no power. So I took the tailgate apart adn tested the connector that runs to the license plate lights and no power. So, it would seem that there is a broken wire or disconected wire somewhere. I can't quite tell exactly where thee two wires (from the connector) run back to another larger connection or power source. I did notice a rather large black "box" that is attached to the tailgate with a lot of connections and wires coming out of it - is that where the connector for the licnese plate lights goes? If not tracing it back will be a big task. Would it be possible to splice a connection of another wire or something easier?

jimmackey11
11-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Son of a gun - that was it - found 2 cracked wires and 1 broken. Fixed the wiring and all lights are on - thanks - you guys were right on!

MichEnvoyBoy
11-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Son of a gun - that was it - found 2 cracked wires and 1 broken. Fixed the wiring and all lights are on - thanks - you guys were right on!

Ahem, who was right on? ;) :D

Glad you found the problem. It drove me crazy. I replaced light bulb, after light bulb, played fuse bingo.. you name it. Finally as a last ditch effort I took the tailgate apart and found my broken wires. The whole harness was ~$20 at the dealer, so I figured what the heck.

I am much more careful as to not let the tailgate shut hard anymore. I make sure its a much nicer landing, and not a ----SLAM!----.

JarBar99
03-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Im wondering if wire damage is whats causing my issue. My lights will normally alternate which one is one and which one is off. If I bump the outside of the hatch right about the lights both will come one. Guessing when i hit a bump one shuts off.

What do you guys think?

JarBar99
03-24-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks bro. As soon as we get some warm weather that stays up here I guess Ill have a look see. :tiphat