Android OBDII Scan App (Torque) and Trans Temp [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Android OBDII Scan App (Torque) and Trans Temp

KSUGreggy
11-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Has anyone used one of these programs to track transmission temps? I tow often to the race track but don't have a true temp gauge for the trans. With my new android phone I've run across some bluetooth OBDII readers that transmit lots of info and see that the ScangaugeII can do trans temp. Would this also work for this android app? If so the $30 for the sensor and $3 for the app is a much better deal and I can transfer it between cars.

I beleive the 4L60E has a trans temp gauge factory yes...?

Any thoughts?

Atlwrk
11-30-2010, 01:21 PM
I've been using Torque (free version) with a bluetooth adapter on my Droid for several months now. If you get it to read a trans fluid temp you will be my hero!

I've searched for hours and messed with all the settings I could find to no avail.

There IS a temp sensor in the trans available to the PCM, but GM has done something funky to make it difficult to access by OBDII

bartonmd
11-30-2010, 01:36 PM
OP, this might help you... CAN communicates differently than VPW (older OBDII, like the '07 and older I6 TBs use)...

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=60583

FWIW, there's right now a $30 off coupon for Scangauge, which makes it right around $130, IIRC... Much the same as using your phone as a GPS, you're somewhat limited by actually talking on the phone, or the wife or kids using it to surf the net, or whatever...

My suggestion is just to get the Scangauge...

Mike

KSUGreggy
11-30-2010, 02:25 PM
I've been using Torque (free version) with a bluetooth adapter on my Droid for several months now. If you get it to read a trans fluid temp you will be my hero!

I've searched for hours and messed with all the settings I could find to no avail.

There IS a temp sensor in the trans available to the PCM, but GM has done something funky to make it difficult to access by OBDII

It must be accessibly as the scangauge w/ x gauge can see the temp via the OBDII port.

Have you tried these standard PID codes yet? I'm just ordered a bluetooth reader off ebay today so won't likely have it for a couple weeks to mess around with. If it doesn't work I'm only out $20 where my auction is at right now and I'll just use it for the gf's car and as a code reader.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs#Standard_PIDs

I am using this on an 06 Rainier, I did a quick search but didn't find much related to iphone/android OBDII readers on here. I'm not familiar with the difference between CAN/VPW. This is more a tinkering thing anyways as I explore all the stuff I can do with android (had a treo 800 before), if it works great, if not I'll drop money for the Scangauge.

Atlwrk
11-30-2010, 03:06 PM
I've messed with the PIDs some and there was even some discussion on the Torque forum about it. Like you, this is mostly just a tinkering thing

Im sure there's a way to make it work, I just don't know how...:sadcry:

KSUGreggy
11-30-2010, 03:14 PM
I've messed with the PIDs some and there was even some discussion on the Torque forum about it. Like you, this is mostly just a tinkering thing

Im sure there's a way to make it work, I just don't know how...:sadcry:

Yep, there has to be a way. I'll try to poke around the fullsize chevy forums...IIRC they use the 4l60e as well and there seem to be a few more forums towards those trucks.

Would someone at a dealership be able to access the PIDs needed?

DZP
11-30-2010, 03:30 PM
I have been wondering how well these bluetooth ports work with Android. Some applications seem to be hit and miss. Please keep us updated on what you find out!

Atlwrk
12-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I have been wondering how well these bluetooth ports work with Android. Some applications seem to be hit and miss. Please keep us updated on what you find out!

I'd say this one works exceptionally well. Found the adapter immediately and have never had a problem making/keeping a connection. The O2 sensor graphs update with enough resolution to actually make them useful--which is more than I can say for the $100 laptop software I have.

The default PID in Torque is 221940 under GM's extended PID group.

bartonmd
12-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Yep, there has to be a way. I'll try to poke around the fullsize chevy forums...IIRC they use the 4l60e as well and there seem to be a few more forums towards those trucks.

Would someone at a dealership be able to access the PIDs needed?

Or... Perhaps you could actually read the information in the thread I linked too in post #3? Read the whole thread... It's not long.

Mike

KSUGreggy
12-01-2010, 11:02 AM
Or... Perhaps you could actually read the information in the thread I linked too in post #3? Read the whole thread... It's not long.

Mike

So is the TXD the same thing as the PID? Sorry this is new info for me...I just wasnt sure if the were the same. I did read through your info so don't take offense.

bartonmd
12-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Yes, the TXD is the PID... Just keep changing that 4th digit until you get the correct memory location...

Mike

KSUGreggy
12-17-2010, 07:52 PM
So I got my bluetooth adapter in today. When I plugged it in, prior to starting the car, it lights up fine indicating power, and I can connect. But the car will NOT turn on. If I remove the adapter the car will start up but when I plug it back in it kills my radio and some of my gauges (fuel, temp, volts, and oil press.) Any ideas?

It still worked fine and the gauges looked pretty quick to respond but I'm hesitant to use it. Was it possible I didn't have it completly in the port? Should it click or anything? I will email the ebay seller, he was helpful despite the horrible english.

the roadie
12-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Which one did you get - one of the Chinese cheapies or the $100 one? Torque warns specifically to not trust the cheapies.

Since it should touch ONLY power, ground, and the serial datacomm line, it's pretty clearly interfering with datacomm.

KSUGreggy
12-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Which one did you get - one of the Chinese cheapies or the $100 one? Torque warns specifically to not trust the cheapies.

Since it should touch ONLY power, ground, and the serial datacomm line, it's pretty clearly interfering with datacomm.

Yes I did purchase one of the cheapies but I've seen them work fine as a few local friends are using them, and I've seen several online with good results. Maybe I got a bad one? I've emailed hte seller and we'll see how it works out. All of the other onces I've seen people recommend around the 50-70 dollar range are still the same china cheapies.

chadk
05-26-2011, 10:47 AM
I've been trying to get the author to get trans temp working, and guess what? It's paid off! Version 1.4.68 just released finally has transmission temperature working! Just in time for towing the big camper on the maiden voyage tomorrow! Several of the extended PIDs are now working on the TB.

Also, TCC Slip speed was working in 1.4.62, but is now broken in 1.4.68. I've let the author know so hopefully that can get fixed too.

Atlwrk
05-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Did you have to manipulate any setting to get trans temp to work? Tried out the latest release last night and still no go:sadcry:

chadk
05-27-2011, 09:28 AM
Did you have to manipulate any setting to get trans temp to work? Tried out the latest release last night and still no go:sadcry:

Reset your dashboard to default (to get rid of any gauges you added....or at a minimum, delete any trans temp gauges).
Go to the main menu, then Settings, then Advanced Settings, then Manage extended PIDs. Hit your menu key, then choose Clear list. Then menu key and Add predefined set. Choose the GM set. Go back to your dashboard and add the Transmission Fluid Temp.

Atlwrk
05-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Reloading the extended PIDs and gauges did the trick. I am finally seeing the trans temp!:woot:

Not bad for a $5 app

mwfaith1971
05-28-2011, 08:23 AM
I can only get it in C not F...everything else I can get in F. Any ideas?

Matt

chadk
05-30-2011, 09:56 PM
I can only get it in C not F...everything else I can get in F. Any ideas?

Matt

I suggest you do the delete and add thing that I outlined above.

mwfaith1971
05-31-2011, 08:38 AM
I have and it works fine now, thanks.

Matt

04lshwydriver
10-04-2011, 01:42 PM
I just installed Torque on my Samsung Galaxy S Android phone and bought a Scantool.net bluetooth module. Torque and bluetooth module work great!
I enabled "Transmission Fluid Temp (GM Method 1)" and "Transmission Temperature(Method 1)" in Torque.
The Transmission Fluid Temp gauge works fine.:thumbsup:
I drove my 04 TB I6 around 20 miles on the hwy last night and the Transmission Fluid Temp gauge was reading about 170 F but the "Transmission Temperature(Method 1)" (Trans no data) gauge is not working.

Also MPG instant and average gauges don't work for me.:confused:

04lshwydriver
10-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Over the weekend, I went on a fishing trip drove 350 Hwy miles pulling my loaded 16' drift boat/trailer with two of buddies and fishin gears loaded in my TB.
It's a fair amount of weight my TB had to pull.
Torque app worked great for displaying Transmission Fluid Temp during entire trip.
ATF Temp maintained within normal operating range from about 170 to 200 degrees entire trip. That's driving in cool Pacific Northwest Fall temperature.
So... my next project will be a Transmission Cooler install & flush/fill with Mobil1 synthetic ATF for an added insurance as I expect ATF Temp will rise higher during summer months.

Still need to find out if the "Transmission Temperature(Method 1)" is suppose to work on my TB or not and figure out correct settings for average & instant MPG display.

mikesarebetter
10-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Over the weekend, I went on a fishing trip drove 350 Hwy miles pulling my loaded 16' drift boat/trailer with two of buddies and fishin gears loaded in my TB.
It's a fair amount of weight my TB had to pull.
Torque app worked great for displaying Transmission Fluid Temp during entire trip.
ATF Temp maintained within normal operating range from about 170 to 200 degrees entire trip. That's driving in cool Pacific Northwest Fall temperature.
So... my next project will be a Transmission Cooler install & flush/fill with Mobil1 synthetic ATF for an added insurance as I expect ATF Temp will rise higher during summer months.

Still need to find out if the "Transmission Temperature(Method 1)" is suppose to work on my TB or not and figure out correct settings for average & instant MPG display.

i've done alot of reading and i suggest you go to dexron 6. whether it be gm fluid, supertech, or mobil. dexron 6 is the way to go especially if your towing. i use to be an avid mobil 1 user and still am for engine oil.... :m2:

04lshwydriver
10-11-2011, 09:15 PM
i've done alot of reading and i suggest you go to dexron 6. whether it be gm fluid, supertech, or mobil. dexron 6 is the way to go especially if your towing. i use to be an avid mobil 1 user and still am for engine oil.... :m2:

Thanks for your suggestion on dexron 6!
I'll research and read up on dexron 6 facts to find out if dexron 6 will be the best choice for my 4L60E.

mikesarebetter
10-11-2011, 09:20 PM
i'd be amazed if you found different results then i have. there's a lot of ass time involved with my job so i'm pretty much on forums on just about everything trying to learn something new. but if you do decide not to go with dexron 6 please share your reasoning. :thumbsup:

on my days off i'm due for a tranny fluid change and i'm going with valvoline dex 6

04lshwydriver
10-11-2011, 09:34 PM
You bet! :thumbsup:
I'm sure your suggestion is spot on, I just need to learn the facts for myself.:)

04lshwydriver
10-13-2011, 05:56 PM
i'd be amazed if you found different results then i have. there's a lot of ass time involved with my job so i'm pretty much on forums on just about everything trying to learn something new. but if you do decide not to go with dexron 6 please share your reasoning. :thumbsup:

on my days off i'm due for a tranny fluid change and i'm going with valvoline dex 6

ok you should of never mentioned Dexron 6 to me...
Now I need to make decisions...:undecided

Both my vehicles 06 Chevy TB & 95 Nissan Maxima run on Mobil 1 ATF and it's convenient to purchase one trusted synthetic Dexron 3 product for both vehicle applications.
I see that Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is NOT Dexron 6 and Mobil's Dexron 6 is only synthetic blend, weird why Mobil 1 hasn't produced full synthetic Dexron 6...
Looks like Valvoline Dex 6 is a great choice as it's full synthetic!
Probably a bit cheaper compare to Amsoil?
Anyways, I'll probably upgrade to Dex 6 Full Synthetic when I install a cooler to make my TB happy. :)

mikesarebetter
10-17-2011, 09:45 PM
ok.. question to original post. i bought a cheapy ebay bluetooth transmitter and i went to plug it into my 2006 trailblazer.. and i got a big fat nothing.. no lights lit up, no response to the torque app.. ugh. So, i tried plugging it into a different vehicle and wammo.. worked great. so i tried it in the trailblazer again and nothing... i'm at a complete loss.. i really want to use it for monitoring my transmission.. anyone have any thoughts???????????? :confused:

lint
10-17-2011, 09:53 PM
ok.. question to original post. i bought a cheapy ebay bluetooth transmitter and i went to plug it into my 2006 trailblazer.. and i got a big fat nothing.. no lights lit up, no response to the torque app.. ugh. So, i tried plugging it into a different vehicle and wammo.. worked great. so i tried it in the trailblazer again and nothing... i'm at a complete loss.. i really want to use it for monitoring my transmission.. anyone have any thoughts???????????? :confused: Is the fuse Ok

mikesarebetter
10-17-2011, 09:55 PM
didnt know there was a fuse for the obd2 port. do you happen to know which fuse it is exactly to save me some time? thanks for the speedy response

lint
10-17-2011, 10:01 PM
didnt know there was a fuse for the obd2 port. do you happen to know which fuse it is exactly to save me some time? thanks for the speedy response

I think 13 the same as the cig lighter. See if the cig lighter works.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/gtsearch.php?cx=partner-pub-7865546952023728%3Axlc8ih-k8os&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8&q=obd2+port+fuse&sa=Search&siteurl=forums.trailvoy.com%2Fsearch.php%3Fsearchi d%3D4451336#944

mikesarebetter
10-17-2011, 10:29 PM
well you were spot on with the fuse.. thank you very much. i managed to get it paired to my phone but when i opened torque AND it couldn't connect... ugh.. i suppose i have the cheap ebay transmitter to blame for that.. maybe i'll try again tomorrow.. losing interest for the night

mikesarebetter
10-18-2011, 10:54 PM
well i got the reader to work and i really like it.. kinda weird though.. the coolant temp on my gauge was reading 210 while the torque reading was only 190 and fluctuating, so i believe it was working properly.

the trans temp is the biggest reason i wanted this and its still a bit iffy on when it wants to work. finally got it to read in Fahrenheit but sometimes it will only read 32 degrees. i have to delete the display and add it again to work... any ideas?:duh:. and a question relating that temp.. when i did have it working i drove around for about ten miles and the highest the temp ever got to was 150... is that low or about normal.. i was not towing anything obviously and the ambient temp was only 40 degrees.

lint
10-19-2011, 06:07 AM
well i got the reader to work and i really like it.. kinda weird though.. the coolant temp on my gauge was reading 210 while the torque reading was only 190 and fluctuating, so i believe it was working properly.

the trans temp is the biggest reason i wanted this and its still a bit iffy on when it wants to work. finally got it to read in Fahrenheit but sometimes it will only read 32 degrees. i have to delete the display and add it again to work... any ideas?:duh:. and a question relating that temp.. when i did have it working i drove around for about ten miles and the highest the temp ever got to was 150... is that low or about normal.. i was not towing anything obviously and the ambient temp was only 40 degrees. Our coolant temp say's 210 -211 but that's just the gauge ,don't know why,The thermostat temp is closer to 190. I think its 192 Not real sure of the temp, maybe someone will chime in with the stat temp ..

And if your saying the trans temp is only 150. mine doesn't get much more than that if its below 70 out side.unless I hammer it some. But if its up above 90 out I get temps of 190- 200, I'm not saying your torque reading are right ,Just my observation on my temps. on the Scangauge , and :m2:

mikesarebetter
10-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Our coolant temp say's 210 -211 but that's just the gauge ,don't know why,The thermostat temp is closer to 190. I think its 192 Not real sure of the temp, maybe someone will chime in with the stat temp ..

And if your saying the trans temp is only 150. mine doesn't get much more than that if its below 70 out side.unless I hammer it some. But if its up above 90 out I get temps of 190- 200, I'm not saying your torque reading are right ,Just my observation on my temps. on the Scangauge , and :m2:

thanks for the input.. i was just looking for some comparable numbers.. it seems we're seeing about the same. i was kinda romping on it a little to get the tranny temp up too..

also i hooked it up to my park avenue this morning on the drive to work. i was amazed how long it take for the tranny temp to get up.. granted it was only 35 degrees out. after 40 miles into my 90 mile commute it finally got to a stable temp of 160. also the engine coolant temp was spot on with the digital read out that the park avenue shows. so i'm fairly confident what i was reading on the trailblazer was accurate.

all in all it was well worth the 25 bucks invested :thumbsup:

04lshwydriver
10-20-2011, 05:13 PM
wow... I was not aware of #13 fuse for OBDII connector. that's awesome info thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

So I've put on somewhere around 700 miles since I got the Torque and Scantool.net bluetooth module and observed my Trans Fluid temperature within normal operating range from about 150 to 200 degrees. 700 miles were driven with a 16' drift boat/trailer with two other buddies and fishin gears in the back of my TB. So I was pulling good amount of weight and still trans temp stayed in normal operating range. Only times that the temp climbed up to 190 to 200 degrees are when I was going up hill and windy roads where not much cooling air was flowing. I'm in western WA state and ambient temperature here is mild and cool around 35 to 60 degrees.

I have noticed that Trans Fluid temp ranges much like coolant does.
Trans fluid temp will be around 55 degrees or so when cold in the morning and climb up to 200 degrees when hot much like coolant temp range.
So, I now know how critical it will be to keep the Trans fluid temps cooler in hot seasons, especially if you're towing and get stuck in stop & go traffic in cities... Also I think synthetic ATF is the way to go to fight heat.

So far I'm very happy with Torque app and Scantool.net bluetooth module that provides Trans flud temp and all other live data at all times!:)

mikesarebetter
10-21-2011, 09:48 PM
So.. the trailblazer and Torque normally work good together.. but on occasion the transmission temp and only the transmission temp wont read. it will just read 32F. it's really quite annoying. anyone have any idea what i can do to make it work all the time?

mikesarebetter
10-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Nobody has any tips for me? :( got it to work a little bit today towing my boat. The ttrans temp kept coming in and out. The tranny cooler worked awesome, maybe even a little too well. The temperature while towing never got above 150. I was really impressed with its towing ability.

Anyway, if anyones got any tips on how to get the temp to read consistantly that would be swell. Maybe a sensor on the tranny I can jiggle or a new code sequence I can put into torque?

busterbrown
10-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Nobody has any tips for me? :( got it to work a little bit today towing my boat. The ttrans temp kept coming in and out. The tranny cooler worked awesome, maybe even a little too well. The temperature while towing never got above 150. I was really impressed with its towing ability.

Anyway, if anyones got any tips on how to get the temp to read consistantly that would be swell. Maybe a sensor on the tranny I can jiggle or a new code sequence I can put into torque?

Your cellular hardware may be the culprit. I purchased the Torque app on a problematic Samsung Infuse that I recently upgraded to. Torque would communicate OBD data for about 1 minute or so then flash an error message stating that my bluetooth adapter was faulty. Didn't believe it since I had two identical adapters to test. The phone was faulty in it's GPS functionality affecting the performance of the data stream. This is what I attributed the inconsistency with due to the fact that my new Galaxy S2 android phone NOW works without a hiccup.

mikesarebetter
10-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Your cellular hardware may be the culprit. I purchased the Torque app on a problematic Samsung Infuse that I recently upgraded to. Torque would communicate OBD data for about 1 minute or so then flash an error message stating that my bluetooth adapter was faulty. Didn't believe it since I had two identical adapters to test. The phone was faulty in it's GPS functionality affecting the performance of the data stream. This is what I attributed the inconsistency with due to the fact that my new Galaxy S2 android phone NOW works without a hiccup.

I had thought that may be the problem myself at first but I plugged everthing into my park avenue and the tranny temp works everytime. Its really starting to irritate me.