Loose running board cover [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Loose running board cover

Castle
12-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Noticed today that the driver side cover is loose. Seems connection has broken or come loose at the front only, rear is still attached. Looked underneath but with all the snow and slush around here I couldn't really see anything. How are they held on? Ty

Wex
12-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Noticed today that the driver side cover is loose. Seems connection has broken or come loose at the front only, rear is still attached. Looked underneath but with all the snow and slush around here I couldn't really see anything. How are they held on? Ty

I had this old pic. This is how my rear cover is held on. I would think the front is prob the same way. I am not sure what type of running boards your truck came with.

sLAsh
12-19-2010, 09:16 PM
We hit an empty 5 gal water jug on the highway and it loosened up the plastic cover on the running board on the passenger side. It had some plastic tabs that just squeezed into some square holes in the metal support. They had been pushed out of the holes and I was able to straighten out the tabs and reinsert them in the holes

Castle
12-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the replies! Gives me an idea on what to look for. Will be looking into it this week.

ieatglue
12-20-2010, 08:25 PM
If all else fails...

http://images.lowes.com/product/051527/051527949105.jpg

:D

Misterhyde
07-22-2011, 07:02 PM
I know this post is old, but I have yet to find any other posts regarding the plastic running board covers coming off. My '05 LT has now had both covers come off. Mine is only a single piece of plastic that has plastic posts that push and lock into the metal running board frame.
The first, right side, I drilled holes in decent looking locations in cover, and fastened it to the frame with small bolts, washers and nuts. Yes the silver metal smooth metal look cheesy against the charcoal grey plastic, but it worked and was not going to come off ever again. Unfortunately all that work was undone when the trucked had an unsuspecting old lady back into that side of the truck, resulting in a door paint job and step cover replacement!

Now, the left side has come off and I have been just driving around with it off. My 5 year old son has only scraped his leg on the edge of the metal once, recently, so I think it time to fix it. Oh, and it gets damn hot in the sun and with the temp being in the 100's during this heat spell, even here in Michigan.

So, PL Premium? Just apply generously and press it on? Will it provide a serious and permanent hold?

joefireman289
07-22-2011, 07:14 PM
If all else fails...

http://images.lowes.com/product/051527/051527949105.jpg

:D

glue i think you've been watching a little too much holmes on homes with that one...:rotfl::crackup:

Misterhyde
07-22-2011, 07:30 PM
glue i think you've been watching a little too much holmes on homes with that one...:rotfl::crackup:

RIGHT!!!!! Hey, me too, that's why I knew what it was when he posted!!! Hey, it might just work!!!

I just posted in another thread that maybe I can use PL Premium to glue the stupid Front Bumper Cover Bracket that comes pressed on the inside of the upper side and snaps onto a metal nub on the frame. Yet I only have one of the stupid brackets that don't come as a part separate from the bumper cover!!

Big Jim 2003
07-22-2011, 07:43 PM
The label warnings are HARMFUL IF INHALED,EYE SKIN AND RESPIRATORY IRRITANT,but it does not say anything against eating it. I think this most be ieatglues flavor of the month. :crackup: :excited: :rotfl:

ieatglue
07-22-2011, 08:30 PM
That stuff is amazing!! It works on almost anything! And I can't stand Holmes one bit. He's just a TV puppet, nothing more :rolleyes:

Big Jim 2003
07-22-2011, 11:44 PM
I see you licking your lips so it must be good.My brother in law is a contractor and when you mention Mike Holmes,you might as well say that his Powerstroke diesel sucks you know what.You will get the same reaction. He says that Mike is not even a carpenter he is a plumber.

joefireman289
07-23-2011, 09:52 AM
The label warnings are HARMFUL IF INHALED,EYE SKIN AND RESPIRATORY IRRITANT,but it does not say anything against eating it. I think this most be ieatglues flavor of the month. :crackup: :excited: :rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::iagree:

Misterhyde
08-18-2011, 11:09 PM
Can't remember the brand, but I bought a medium sized tube of automotive glue, meant for plastics and metal. I did not even sand or scrape the black metal step frame. Just cleaned the plastic cover good, and used the whole tube, applied to the metal since the plastic cover will touch all of the metal, not vise versa.

Its been about 2 months now, and it feels more solid than before it snapped off.