Oil Pump Replacement [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Oil Pump Replacement

fishb8
01-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Do you have to remove the timing chain to replace the oil pump on a 2006 Envoy? Repair shop says yes, warranty company says no.

petevw
01-27-2011, 12:05 AM
Do you have to remove the timing chain to replace the oil pump on a 2006 Envoy? Repair shop says yes, warranty company says no.

Repair shop is trying to pad the bill....the warranty company is correct. Go to another repair shop that's honest.

bromanjr
01-27-2011, 08:34 AM
petevw is right, on both the V8 and the I6 the oil pump is on the front of the crankshaft and in front of the timing chain.

On the V8 it is behind the front cover mounted to the block. On the I6 it is mounted to the front cover.

They hardly ever go bad, I'm curious why you are having it replaced?
I had a situation with my 5.3 V8 2004 Envoy after I bought it used. During some vigorous acceleration I lost all oil pressure, Engine had 174,000 at the time and it was very sludged up when I bought it at 170,000. it turned out to be crap in the oil pan clogging the pickup screen because it is located at the back of the pan. If I braked hard the crap would slide forward and most oil pressure would come back. I had the pan removed and cleaned and although it probably shortened the overall life of the engine, oil pressure is good now and it runs perfect. Remember the V8s have a "real" oil pressure sender. It should make it to 200,000.

You should have the pan and screen checked if you are going there, the pan comes off much easier on a 2WD after dropping the Steering Rack. (no front axle etc)

fishb8
01-27-2011, 10:10 AM
Thank yall so much for the info. Mine started making a knocking noise. The noise would start after I drove if for about 20 miles, and sounded just like a lifter. It was stop on hard acceleration, and take about 20 miles or so to start again. I took it into the shop (only because I have warranty) and they said it was the oil pump. I was pretty suprised that the oil pump would cause this noise, but whatever. I figured if they want to replace it, fine. Let the warranty company pay for it, but I really think that isn't going to fix the problem. Anyway, oil pressure never changed and no engine light. So while they were fixing that they said that the timing chain had stretched. How that would happen I have no idea. The warrenty company will pay for it, with the exception of the bolts and dampeners, but the shop wants an extra hour for changing the timing chain, and the warranty company says no because they have to take it off and put it back on anyway when they do the oil pump. The shop says they don't have to take it off to change the oil pump. I am trying to figure out if they are padding the bill or not.

blackawdtbss
03-21-2011, 09:01 PM
im thinking about installing a high volume oil pump on my 06 tbss. anybody done this? is there any cons to this?:thx