How to "tap" into rear fuse panel [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: How to "tap" into rear fuse panel

Chief-e9
02-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Getting ready to replace my driver side non-power seat with power seat. Many threads on this site discuss getting 12v power from fuse 8 in rear seat fuse box. My question is where are you tapping the seat power wires into the fuse wiring? Can someone advise me on the specifics of this task? For example, are you getting it from the top at the fuse or are you going from underneath the fuse connection? Where are other sources for getting 12v's for their power seat. This might be a good subject for a sticky since a majority of us make seat, as well as other mods that needs 12 volts. Hope this makes sense.Thanks in advance. Roy

the roadie
02-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Seats take a LOT of power, and the OEM design uses a circuit breaker. The Owner's Manual will have the location.

Chief-e9
02-05-2011, 05:11 PM
My error, it is a circuit breaker; not a fuse. The owners manual shows it as protection device number "8". Same question; how do I gain access to inner panels, etc. to tap into it's source? Once I have access what is a suggested method to utilize it? Does it for example, provide male or female pins? In other words, how do I hook a wire to it? Ha! Thanks in advance.

RayVoy
02-05-2011, 08:28 PM
More and more, manufactures are providing only one wiring harness for the vehicles.

I haven't checked any of the old threads, so I might be leading you astray, but the wires and connector may be under the seat.

Plug a circuit breaker into the correct slot in the fuse panel and you might be ready to go.

LikeEnvoy
02-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Same question but different fusebox output- I want to run a wire for the glovebox lamp and underhood lamp as per the original GM wiring on the 2002 models - but how do you 'tap' into the rear fuse box for this as well?
This thread
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=41742&highlight=terminal+A12&page=2
mentions the orange wire should come from connector C1, terminal A12 but where do you find this and how do you connect a wire to it, as GM did originally? I can hardly move the rear fuse box due to the stiff wire harnesses and cables attached to it. So I can't see underneath very well- just three blue boxes in there. I am cautious about unplugging anything because disconnecting power might cause some memory loss in a computer and affect engine operation.

An answer to this would help chief-e9 and my question at the same time.
I did ask a question on the threads for the glovebox lamp but nobody has answered yet.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=60012&page=2

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=43929&highlight=glovebox+lamp&page=3
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?p=1050054#post1050054

Chief-e9
02-06-2011, 08:58 AM
If we don't get a reply to this technical question soon I am going to see if connecting an inline (30 amp) fuse/circuit breaker holder to the +12v post in the rear fuse box then connecting the wire to my seat harness wiring will work. This will give me the power I need. I always prefer to go the manufacturer's route when possible; but like you, I'm going to error on the side of caution/safety. As for the mods you are wanting to make you can do the same thing. However, in your case I imagine you will use the glove box lid switch (or similar switch) to turn on/off the light based on the lid position and a switch to operate the hood light based on the hood being opened or closed. Using straight power from a battery source you can use a system designed for older cars. Good luck, Roy

RayVoy
02-06-2011, 06:35 PM
If we don't get a reply to this technical question soon I am going to.........Chief, I think you got a couple of answers to your "technical question"

1st, you were told the rear fuse panel does not have sufficient capacity to carry the load of a power seat.

2nd, I suggested you might find all wiring already existing under the seat.

You did not get an answer to the question of "how do I get access to the OEM circuit and use the factory circuit breaker"; because"
1, the wiring may already exist and you haven't looked,
2, that answer requires taking the front fuse panel apart (and, to be blunt, if you need to ask the question, you probably don't have the necessary experience to put it back together).

So, if the wiring does not exist (under the seat), the safe way to provide power to the seat is a new circuit from the battery.
Use a 30a in-line circuit breaker and wire of sufficient gauge. You can probably find a connector at an after market parts store and you are in business.

Chief-e9
02-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks for replies. I spent several years as a technician on both light and heavy aircraft and many more years supervising maintenance. Therefore, I can understands one's concern when it comes to safety as well as folks having necessary skills. Since this was the only change (other than having installed four new speakers this weekend) I was planning on making I had hoped I could get guidance on working with the rear fuse panel thus not having to invest in a maintenance manual. However, I plan to own this vehicle for several years thus have decided it will be a wise investment. As a result, I will drop this topic. Please PM any replies. Very respectfully, Roy

RayVoy
02-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Sorry if I stepped on some toes.

I think your questions were answered.
If you have the skills and the experience, open the front fuse panel and access the lead from the OEM circuit breaker.

If it was me, I'd go with the in-line breaker.

LikeEnvoy
02-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks to Chief-e9 and RayVoy- I will try my own supply method as Chief-e9 said.
I actually fitted the oem glovebox lamp and switch (all one unit) and same for underhood lamp, so it takes care of switching- just wanted the oem style power supply.
I agree this topic is done and should probably be closed now.