Does a Dealer Have to Fix Recalls Before Selling? [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Does a Dealer Have to Fix Recalls Before Selling?

Xplorer4x4
02-20-2011, 05:47 AM
Couldn't find an answer in the search engine here or google. When buying my 03 TB, I asked about the recalls. He had no clue if they were done but he went and spoke with a Tech, and when he came back he told me that they were required to fix any recalls before they sell the vehicle. The issues with regard to the transmission,windshield wiper and hazard/turn signals, do not seem to be a problem, but that doesnt mean they couldnt start tomorrow right? So does a dealership really have to fix the recalls before they can sell a vehicle? There was no specification as to weather it was a dealership requirement or required by law..

Simon01
02-20-2011, 07:09 AM
A GM dealer is required to perform open recalls on a vehicle before it is sold. A recall is different from a special coverage though. Recalls are to take care of a defect. Special coverages are to correct a concern only if the customer complains about a particular issue.

07TB
02-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Did you buy it at a GM dealer? If not, they may not be able to check for recalls. If you did buy your truck from a GM dealer, they should have checked. Send me your vin and I'll check for recalls for you.

---my opinion here------ Do they "have to" check for recalls, I'm not sure. But it is the the dealerships' best interest, assuming you bought from a GM dealership, to check for-and perform- any safety recalls for a particular vin in case a problem arises in the future that could have been addressed by doing the recall.

p.s.- no, I do not work for either GM or any dealership.

Wex
02-20-2011, 11:22 AM
I did not think a dealer would be required to do any work unless the actual vehicle operator contacted them and requested it. In a perfect world the salesman could do a check and inform the new owner of possible recalls, but I can not picture the dealership paying out $ unless it was asked to.

07TB
02-20-2011, 11:28 AM
I did not think a dealer would be required to do any work unless the actual vehicle operator contacted them and requested it. In a perfect world the salesman could do a check and inform the new owner of possible recalls, but I can not picture the dealership paying out $ unless it was asked to.

Ahh....not quite the correct information. It is the service departments responsibilty, not the sales department, to check for recalls. Recalls are performed at no charge to the owner regardless of vehicle ownership, age, or mileage. The dealership gets paid from GM for recalls. All open recalls are listed in GMIVH.

Xplorer4x4
02-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Did you buy it at a GM dealer? If not, they may not be able to check for recalls. If you did buy your truck from a GM dealer, they should have checked. Send me your vin and I'll check for recalls for you.

---my opinion here------ Do they "have to" check for recalls, I'm not sure. But it is the the dealerships' best interest, assuming you bought from a GM dealership, to check for-and perform- any safety recalls for a particular vin in case a problem arises in the future that could have been addressed by doing the recall.

p.s.- no, I do not work for either GM or any dealership.
This is what I was looking for. When it came to a safety issue I figured it was not in there best interest to lie about something like this.

And sorry I forgot to mention, it was an authorized GM dealership, and probably the biggest and nicest one in the tri-state area.

How exactly are you planning to look up the recall info based on the VIN? I would be happy to do it myself and save you the time and effort, if possible.

RayVoy
02-20-2011, 07:00 PM
Ok, you have 2 questions here.

The 1st, do the dealer have to do the recalls?

The simple answer is, why wouldn't they? It is free money in their pocket.
GM has already agreed to pay for the work performed.

The 2nd question, how is it tied to the VIN.

Recalls are usually required on a group of vehicles; this group of vehicles is usually recognized by the VIN range impacted by the reason for the recall.

Therefore, the recall notice is attached electronically to the VINs inside that range.

Pull up the VIN, and all recalls and the status of these recalls is attached to the VIN.

Xplorer4x4
02-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Ok, you have 2 questions here.

The 1st, do the dealer have to do the recalls?

The simple answer is, why wouldn't they? It is free money in their pocket.
GM has already agreed to pay for the work performed.

The 2nd question, how is it tied to the VIN.

Recalls are usually required on a group of vehicles; this group of vehicles is usually recognized by the VIN range impacted by the reason for the recall.

Therefore, the recall notice is attached electronically to the VINs inside that range.

Pull up the VIN, and all recalls and the status of these recalls is attached to the VIN.

In regards to the dealer, I wouldn't know as I didn't know gm reinbursed them.

In regards to the vin, I think you missread. I didn't ask how it was tied to the vin, but rather how I can check the vin itself in the manner 07TB had described but thanks for the response.

RayVoy
02-20-2011, 08:22 PM
In regards to the vin, I think you missread. I didn't ask how it was tied to the vin, but rather how I can check the vin itself in the manner 07TB had described but thanks for the response.sorry, I did mis-read.

All you need to do is go to the service dept and ask them to check your VIN.

Sorry, most of us can not access the info from our pc

07TB, must have dealer access.

07TB
02-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Yes, I have access to check for recalls. Send me your vin and I'll check for you or post a reply to the "vin comparisons" thread that is a sticky in this section. BTW, any GM dealer can also do this for you.

Xplorer4x4
02-21-2011, 07:15 AM
sorry, I did mis-read.

All you need to do is go to the service dept and ask them to check your VIN.

Sorry, most of us can not access the info from our pc

07TB, must have dealer access.
Yeah I wondered about this as I didnt thinki it was something open to the general public but just thought I would check anyways.

Yes, I have access to check for recalls. Send me your vin and I'll check for you or post a reply to the "vin comparisons" thread that is a sticky in this section. BTW, any GM dealer can also do this for you.

I will grab the vin tomorrow and have you run a check. Thanks!

Wex
02-21-2011, 08:08 AM
In regards to the dealer, I wouldn't know as I didn't know gm reinbursed them.

Every vehicle I have ever had recall work, the dealer never seemed happy to be reimbursed/accept the work. I bet GM pays them by the book and the minimum dollar paid. Nothing padded and inflated like if you brought it in and it was not under recall. I bet even if the dealer made an actual penny, the paperwork seemed hardly worth the effort to them.

Of course still take it to them as it is free. But I still don't see a dealer offering to put forth the labor unless the operator asks about it.

ahabofthepequod
02-21-2011, 10:28 PM
The dealers have to do the recall for a vehicle and the GM database will have a list of the recalls done on any GM vehicle. That's why there is a document, in the recall info you receive that requires GM to be notified that a recall was done.

For liability purposes they need to show the workwas done.

Eg. On my S-10 a circuit board had bad solder connections that would cause the wipers to stop functioning. I took it into a dealer and they did the repair for $86. About a year later GM had a recall for that problem and the repair called for a replacement of the circuit board in question.

I went to the dealer with the recall paperwork and my repair order showing I paid for the repair. My circuit board was replaced (as required) and I received a check for the repair.

pmc6986
02-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Hey, just post the last 8 of the vin, and I'll run it on GM website.

I've been in management with GM dealers since the 90's, and it's a given, anytime a vehicle is brought into the service department.

To answer your question, I was told many many years ago that "yes" it was a requirement to repair all open "recalls' on the vehicles that you sell.

Man, it's FREE $$$, with NO hassles. If a store is not doing it, shame on them. :duh:

Xplorer4x4
02-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Man, it's FREE $$$, with NO hassles.

Like some one else said, isnt GM just going to pay them bottom dollar for the work where they are not profiting out of it?

Anyways here is the last 8 of the VIN 32170340.

Dont suppose you could run a carfax to?

pmc6986
02-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Your vehicle has had 2 recalls, none open at this time.

Type Number Original Nbr Description Release Date Status:

Product Safety Recall N040005 04005 WINDSHIELD WIPER MOTOR FAILURE 07/06/2004 Closed

Product Safety Recall N040087 04087 TAIL LAMPS/STOP LAMPS 11/16/2004 Closed

You're good to go.:thumbsup: Sorry I can't run a car fax from home, I'll try tomorrow at work.

Xplorer4x4
02-21-2011, 11:05 PM
I thought there was more recalls then that:
http://www.automotive.com/2003/12/chevrolet/trailblazer/recalls/index.html
You do not mention the recall involving the key being able to be removed from the ignition while the tb is not in park? Now thats a trivial one. The one that concerns me is the air bags. I am still recovering from injuries I suffered from an MVA back in June of last year. Last thing I want is to be in another MVA and get injured because of the air bags.

pmc6986
02-21-2011, 11:18 PM
I thought there was more recalls then that:
http://www.automotive.com/2003/12/chevrolet/trailblazer/recalls/index.html
You do not mention the recall involving the key being able to be removed from the ignition while the tb is not in park? Now thats a trivial one. The one that concerns me is the air bags. I am still recovering from injuries I suffered from an MVA back in June of last year. Last thing I want is to be in another MVA and get injured because of the air bags.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Recalls are released by build dates & vin numbers. If your vehicle does not fall into that catagory, then it does not apply. Not all recalls are for all of the vehicles. According to GM's Global Warranty Management site (that's what your GM store looks at) your vehicle only has 2, and both are closed.

The key being in the ignition issue, I've not seen, but the NHTSA, thinks different. By me being in the business for over 35 years, I can tell you about some REAL stupid ones. But that's another story.

Xplorer4x4
02-21-2011, 11:34 PM
So in other words, if say the recall was issued 2 months in to production of the TB and mine was built 8 months in the recall would have been addressed? Never really looked in to recalls before, so I new to this aspect of maintenance.

As for stupid recalls, I am sure there has been a few silly ones. Whats your top three? You have me intrigued :p

ahabofthepequod
02-22-2011, 11:36 PM
Go to this website:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/

Then follow the links to the vehicle recall information. Here you can look up all recalls for a particular vehicle. This includes the government & manufacturer, and the method to be used to correct a particular issue.

I like to save the site as a "Favorite".

It's also helpful to check a vehicle before buying.