[SOLVED] '05 TB - How do you loosen the fan clutch nut? [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: [SOLVED] '05 TB - How do you loosen the fan clutch nut?

05traleblazer
02-21-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm trying to replace the water pump on my '05 TB and for the life of me, can't find a way to loosen the fan clutch nut that threads on to the water pump shaft without the water pump shaft turning. How does everyone get past this step???? My pump is shot and I can't drive it until I get it replaced. Thanks!

MAY03LT
02-21-2011, 06:45 PM
I use a heavy duty clutch tool and a big hammer.

simplesimp
02-21-2011, 06:46 PM
plenty of threads on this as i read a few over the weekend while changing clutch on my neighbors truck but what i did was loosen 2 screws and wedged a long screwdriver in them for leverage and with a crescent wrench and some muscle power turned the nut counterclockwise and viola! it broke loose. good luck friend. hope you get running soon.:tiphat

Tarnished
02-21-2011, 07:05 PM
There is a huge thread on this, I think it was stickied also.
Try the chain and bolt method. It just requires 2 feet of chain bolted to the bracket above the alternator, and bolted to the pulley.

jjmoore59
02-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Some have good luck getting the bolt loose however I had to use the chain trick. It worked well, don’t get frustrated and plan on it taking more time then you think. I hear some say only took 30 minutes or so, it took me 3 hours soup to nuts but I am a little slow. :drool BTW, there is a youtube on this.

racer383s
02-21-2011, 09:10 PM
Loosen this nut before removing belt.....that makes the pulley less likely to turn.....I've always had good success with a large crescent wrench & a hammer....

Ricky81
02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
I rented tools from partsouce(autozone in the US)....complete wrench set in all different sizes meant for clutch fan removal and only took me about 15mins to remove the bolt....

05traleblazer
02-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Loosen this nut before removing belt.....that makes the pulley less likely to turn.....I've always had good success with a large crescent wrench & a hammer....
Tried this but the belt won't hold the pulley tight enough and the pulley still spins.

05traleblazer
02-22-2011, 12:19 AM
I rented tools from partsouce(autozone in the US)....complete wrench set in all different sizes meant for clutch fan removal and only took me about 15mins to remove the bolt....
Went there today and their removal kit consisted of a thin wrench of which my crescent wrench will do the very same job. If I can only hold the pulley tight enough......

05traleblazer
02-22-2011, 12:25 AM
plenty of threads on this as i read a few over the weekend while changing clutch on my neighbors truck but what i did was loosen 2 screws and wedged a long screwdriver in them for leverage and with a crescent wrench and some muscle power turned the nut counterclockwise and viola! it broke loose. good luck friend. hope you get running soon.:tiphat
This sounds the most promising. Did you tighten the new water pump to fan clutch in the same manner? If so, any problems? Thanks!

hardtrailz400
02-22-2011, 01:42 AM
I got the tool set it came with 4 wrenches. One is 36 mm and fits the clutch then I used largest one to slide over pulley bolts. It caught on the bolt heads and I held the pulley and had my buddy turn the clutch nut w the 36 and it was loose. I had tried a couple hangers and wires and a metal strap to alt but they all broke so I got the tool. Took 2 hrs failing and then 2 hours to actually do it with the removal tool set.

racer383s
02-22-2011, 09:48 AM
When they're stubborn, Ive used an air hammer before....Place the tip of tool on edge of nut and bump a few good times.... but remember to keep tool on edge of nut, if it hammers in center of flat on nut, if will make an indentation and damage the treads of both the nut and pump shaft making removal a real bear... I used a tip similar to this one....
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/objects_lg/36500/36481.JPG

05traleblazer
02-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks all! I'll let you know if and how I get the nut loose today. I think I may have found my source of vibration I have been complaing about for the last 1 1/2 mons. The fan wobbles 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch!... :eek: Hopefully replacing the pump will cure it! Thanks!

ljaimejr1
02-22-2011, 12:18 PM
I just replaced the fan clutch to my 2002 trailblazer. You need to rent a fan clutch removal set at a local autozone. You use the nut wrench to loosen the fan clutch counter clockwise while turning the other wrench clockwise. In order to use the other wrench you have to loosen the screws on the water pump pulley. Once the screws are loosened insert the wrench behind the four screw to hold the pulley in place. It is quite simple, removing the radiator and fan shroud are the difficult parts. goodluck.

lanierlc
02-22-2011, 02:04 PM
i replaced mine a couple months back. wait til you have to put the fan back on without crossthreading it. thats where i had the most fun:hahano:

05traleblazer
02-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Well, if I had not read on here for myself and seen actual pictures of it being done, I would not have believed the fan clutch and shroud come off without removing the radiator......but it does!!! Took me about 4 hours to remove the fan and shroud and about a minute and a half to remove the old water pump. I just couldn't believe it when I had it in my hands! It was like an epiphany! Instantly the world seemed like a much nicer place.
So I bought a new pump from NAPA for $50 bucks. I called the dealer.......$180!!!!!!!!
Now I have absolutely no vibration whatsoever in the rig! I have been complaining of vibration now for at least two months and was almost going to go the "worn motor mount" route when by chance I grabbed the fan 2 days ago and it wobbled liked crazy! So it was a worn out water pump the whole time! If anybody has vibration, check your fan for wobble, it might need a new water pump.
I came up with my own way of loosening/ tightening the fan nut. I took about a 12" "V" shaped gate hinge I had and used the hole farthest at the end and bolted it to the pump pulley. There are smaller holes in between the bolt holes that I let a small bolt flop around in. As I loosen the fan nut, the gate hinge will catch on the small bolt sticking out and stop the pulley from spinning. You can get lots of torque on it this way too. Wish I had taken pictures but it's hard to stop what you're doing and grab the camera with greasy hands and all. Thanks to "blbkabenvoy" for his write-up here> http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=71429&highlight=replace+water+pump I want to thank everyone on here for the great info! It's priceless!..........:tiphat

Grizzledbiker
04-24-2011, 09:10 PM
:thumbsup:I about gave up myself. But after getting away from it after a day of frustration. I hopped back to it after the easter bunny went home. He suggested and what worked was using a long 1/2" combination wrench with the box end over one of the fan pulley bolts and then turned a bit so the wrench wedged against the adjacent bolt. The open end was then wedged against the harmonic balancer. Then I found an old craftsman 12" pipe wrench just fit nicely on the big nut. This provided a solid do-it-yourself arrangement. But hitting the wrench with a regular hammer did nothing. What I needed was some leverage like a piece of pipe to slip over the handle of the pipe wrench. Not finding any, I used a 1-1/8 combination wrench. Voila! A few strong tugs and she broke loose! My arm unfortunately immediately slammed down and got scraped up on the nylon hood prop retainer. Oh well, dripping a bit of red stuff I grinned excitedly to the wife, "I got it!" Tomorrow night I'll tackle that noisy bad a/c clutch bearing. fun stuff, eh?