[SOLVED] Rear suspension air bag removal question [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: [SOLVED] Rear suspension air bag removal question

intitusville
04-30-2011, 12:41 PM
Last week I found a really nice post about how to remove the rear suspension air bags but can't seem to find it now. It had pictures and explained how to turn the air bags counterclockwise and the drop out and so far all that worked great and now I have both air bags hanging by the air hoses. The post gave tips about the air hoses but now I can't find that post. The common way to deal with these air hoses would be to cut them but I'm parting out a 2002 GMC Envoy SLT 4WD and the air bags were replaced last year and are basically new and I don't want to damage the sir hoses. I see the air hoses are wrapped in with a wiring harness, should all that come as a whole, how do I pass the air hoses through the round opening at the top frame or can the hoses be removed from the air bag itself. Any help and pictures on this would be greatly appreciated...

intitusville
05-14-2011, 11:50 AM
I hope someone can help me with this soon. I need to get these out soom and I have the rear jacked up and the air bags are just hanging by the air lines and I need to get them out without cutting the air lines... Thanks...

the roadie
05-14-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't have that system, but if there's no clamp on the hose, then it almost HAS to be a barbed fitting, and you just pull it off carefully with needlenose pliers. Heat it with a hair dryer first if you're that paranoid.

Why not just cut the lines? Surely they're a consumable item with no value to buyers of the bags.

intitusville
05-14-2011, 02:01 PM
I have the air bag disconnected from the frame (that was easy) and hanging by the air lines but the air lines are the problem, they go in to a wiring harnes and I don't want to damage the air lines or the wiring harness. I can't see that they can be disconnected from the sir bag. I looked at compnine.com but no clear view... I did see a post on this site once about how to remove these without damaging the air lines but for some reason can't seem to find it now... For some reason I have problems searching for things on this site. It was a great post and the moderators should post it as a "Sticky"...

the roadie
05-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Surprising nobody's found this thread yet who has the system, but I found the attached PDF on the Arnott site.

They say to push down some collar, then pull the line out, so maybe it's not a barbed fitting but a collet design.

In any event, I would not leave such a project hanging for more than about 2 minutes before cutting the lines. The BAGS have value. Air lines are consumable.

MichEnvoyBoy
05-14-2011, 03:21 PM
Surprising nobody's found this thread yet who has the system, but I found the attached PDF on the Arnott site.

They say to push down some collar, then pull the line out, so maybe it's not a barbed fitting but a collet design.

In any event, I would not leave such a project hanging for more than about 2 minutes before cutting the lines. The BAGS have value. Air lines are consumable.

Thats precisely how I removed the air lines on my rear air bags on my 2002 Envoy. Pushed down on the collar. Was a little challenging, with the bags hanging by the hoses (didnt want to break the lines) but once you feel around, you'll get it.

intitusville
05-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Thanks... Tried to open the PDF file but got an error that the file couldn't be opened and may be damaged.

It doesn't look like the line comes off the air bag and can't check until tomorrow since we're in the middle of a tropical downpour here...

MichEnvoyBoy
05-14-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks... Tried to open the PDF file but got an error that the file couldn't be opened and may be damaged.

It doesn't look like the line comes off the air bag and can't check until tomorrow since we're in the middle of a tropical downpour here...

The line does come off. You have to push the collar down. I have a 2002 Envoy SLT as well.

the roadie
05-14-2011, 04:01 PM
It doesn't look like the line comes off the air bag ...OK, then remove it at the air compressor end and just sell the line with the bag. Or CUT THE LINE and sell the bag with a barbed union to join it back up again. If I'm parting a vehicle out I wouldn't obsess about it this much, but then it's my own fault for responding to the question, I suppose. :sadcry: You replaced the bags last year and forgot how they went in? :confused:

intitusville
05-14-2011, 04:25 PM
OK, then remove it at the air compressor end and just sell the line with the bag. Or CUT THE LINE and sell the bag with a barbed union to join it back up again. If I'm parting a vehicle out I wouldn't obsess about it this much, but then it's my own fault for responding to the question, I suppose. :sadcry: You replaced the bags last year and forgot how they went in? :confused:

It's not that I forgot how to do it, I had the dealer install it, so I it's that I didn't do it. Since they are in excellent condition I don't want to waste it by cutting the air lines then I have trash. I'm trying to keep as much of it as I can. Air compressor is already gone. I know there was a post somewhere on this site about removing these and the air lines but can't find it now. It funny, I thought that was a hard job but other than the air lines it actually really easy... Go figure...

intitusville
05-15-2011, 02:20 PM
In found the following post that was somewhat useful but still can't figure out how push down on the collar to get the air line out...

http://forums.trailvoy.com/archive/index.php/t-73963.html

http://www.special-fx.com/photos/DSC01782.JPG

intitusville
05-15-2011, 02:39 PM
I put my fingers around the bump in the air line and used my thumbnail to push down on the brass ring and just pulled on the air bag while keeping presure on the brass ring and the line came right out... :duh: Thanks to eveyone that helped with this... I saved the air bags and the air lines... :):):):)

cmatt
05-16-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm glad you figured it out and found my thread. Wonder why it was so hard to find?:undecided

intitusville
05-16-2011, 05:37 PM
I'm glad you figured it out and found my thread. Wonder why it was so hard to find?:undecided

Looks like it was archived... I found it using a Yahoo search... I can never get this search feature on this site to work. It seems if you user mutiple works it doesn an "or" search rather than and "and" search and I get all kinds of post I'm not looking for... Maybe I just don't know how to use the search on this site... Anyway, I think the moderators of this site should post rear air suspension as a "sticky" or have "how to" searches come up first since it seams a lot of people have questions about this suspension system.