865,000 General Motors S.U.V.ís Under Investigation for Faulty Fuel Gauge [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: 865,000 General Motors S.U.V.ís Under Investigation for Faulty Fuel Gauge

Trailcan
04-30-2011, 07:15 PM
865,000 General Motors S.U.V.ís Under Investigation for Faulty Fuel Gauge

I've seen this topic come up several times on this forum.There may be good news ahead..

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/29/865000-general-motors-s-u-v-s-under-investigation-for-faulty-fuel-gauge/

Wex
05-01-2011, 07:29 AM
Very very cool if it pans out. Save/Locate your old receipts if you had to foot the bill prior. I dread the day when my gauge and/or float malfunctions.

hardtrailz400
05-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Sweet

BO TIE SS
05-01-2011, 11:27 AM
I had already purchased a new sending unit from Ebay but I was dreading having to drop my tank. Maybe now I won't have to. :woot:

IndyTblazer
05-01-2011, 01:23 PM
Never Fails, Just dropped my tank 2 weeks ago and changed out the fuel sending unit! Oh well, could still take a while for them to issue a recall. Gas gauge works now too!

hardtrailz400
05-02-2011, 02:53 PM
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Contact

I just sent an email compaint to hopefully help along a recall for this issue.

Actual form to submit...

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm

AutoGuide.com
05-06-2011, 05:16 PM
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2011/05/chevy_trailblazer_manu-06_05-400x216.jpg

Federal regulators are investigating 865,000 General Motors SUVs, including the 2005-'07 Chevrolet Trailblazer and Buick Rainier,for faulty fuel gauges that are inaccurate. The 2005-'06 Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT, the 2005-'07 GMC Envoy, the 2005-'06 GMC Envoy XL and the 2005-'07 Saab 9-7X are also affected vehicles being investigated.

668 complaints regarding the vehicles having defective fuel gauge readings have been filed already. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said, "One complaint alleged a vehicle crash after the vehicle stalled while exiting the interstate, became disabled and was struck from behind." A preliminary evaluation has been filed, which is sometimes a precursor to a formal recall.

More: 856,000 GM SUVs Under Investigation For Faulty Fuel Gauges (http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/05/856000-gm-suvs-under-investigation-for-faulty-fuel-gauges.html) on AutoGuide.com

the roadie
05-06-2011, 05:56 PM
Threads merged since we already had one going.

RJMJR
05-08-2011, 05:30 PM
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Contact

I just sent an email compaint to hopefully help along a recall for this issue.

Actual form to submit...

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm

Thanks for the info! I just filled out and sent the complaint form today. I hope we see some positive action on this issue. I love my 2007 Buick Rainer (V8) but I am getting tired of the troubles it has been exhibiting; fuel sending unit, erratic AC control, fouled plug in number 1 cylinder to name a few between 60,000 and 66,000 miles!

I sold my 05 Trailblazer to my brother and he too is dealing with the fuel sending unit issue.

Rick

BO TIE SS
05-08-2011, 06:51 PM
I filed my complaint today as well. I hope that this turns in to a recall, but I'm not going to hold my breath. :rolleyes:

Envoy4Life
05-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm pretty happy now. Refund here I come!

trel048
05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
I just replaced my fuel pump 2 months ago and then a week after that now its doing it again said i had 1/8 tank of gas put 40 bucks in then have half a tank. Go figure 30 minutes later the ghost in my truck said it was almost full. I wanna refund too !

Truebass
05-09-2011, 06:23 AM
You guys seem to facing this issue for many years... Just wondering,if it wasn't resolvable for good from GM's side,wasn't there an Aftermarket solution? :undecided

06TrlBlzerLS
05-09-2011, 02:06 PM
Just filed complaint. Hope we get a recall!

jamesm2005
05-10-2011, 03:03 PM
EVERYONE! If you are going to file a complaint for this issues (which I have already had on my 06 TB LS twice, going on a third, you should probably fill out this complaint form found here:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

The contact info is also good to send to, but I am thinking that the above link is where the numbers are compiled.

I am definitely sending a complaint. Im not going to shell out another $120 or so to fix this again plus spill gas all over the place. LOL.

BobMacD
06-01-2011, 10:39 AM
My 2006 Envoy has the same fuel guage problem.

I called the Ministry of Transportation in Canada and lodged my complaint. They opened a file and are aware of the case in the US.

If you are in Canada please! call and complain. 1-800-333-0510

You can try GM but I wouldn't bet on that working. 1-800-263-3777

Good Luck.

Frankie062
07-14-2011, 03:48 PM
First of all I would like to say hello to everyone on this site. This is my first time. In saying that, I am sure there are other Envoy owners that are experiencing instrument cluster problems, which is affecting all the gauges. On mine it's the RPM gauge, stuck due south and a very erratic fuel gauges and noticing the SPEEDO is starting to not show the correct speed. Yesterday it stalled on me, saw indication on the cluster "Check Gauges" then after several attempts, it finally restarted, now I have "Service Engine Soon" light on. I've been viewing the Edmunds/Envoy forum and it seems GMC should really get involved and do a recall. The only recall is for vehicles with less than 70K - GMC will pay parts/labor and 70K-80K will pay for parts but not labor. Which puts me out of luck, since mine has 124K miles. I'm sure there are several other owners in the same boat. Dealerships want $400-$500to replace the cluster. To purchase a remanufactured cluster, you have to pay $300 core charges, which is refunded when you send in your old one. Any thoughts out there ?:mad::mad:

the roadie
07-14-2011, 05:09 PM
...instrument cluster problems...If you can solder, or find a kid who can solder, you can fix gauges for $5 apiece yourself:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=48886

The fuel level sender is a separate issue. But welcome! You can find other forums here to assist with your other problem after you get the code read to help narrow down the possibilities.

DJones
07-14-2011, 05:50 PM
I think there are plenty more GM trucks from other models and years with problems:
My dad's 01 Suburban and my uncles 03? Silverado.

I hate mine too: at 50 miles, my tank is full, at 100 miles my tank is at half.

trout
08-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I see the thread is a few months old. Is it too late to fill out a form? Mine was replaced under GMPP 1/10.

LBB
08-07-2011, 05:39 PM
865,000 General Motors S.U.V.ís Under Investigation for Faulty Fuel Gauge

towed one of them from a stop sign to the gas station 500 feet away.
50 other vehicles didn't stop.

Frankie062
08-08-2011, 09:07 AM
I had my cluster repaired for $65.00. POC David Ruberg, (507) 429-4489, 123 W. Sarnia St. winnona, Mn, 55987. email: digitalguy_1@charter.net. It took a week turn-around, because of the mail USPS. He repairs it the same day he receives it and puts it in UPS that day or the very next day. So far all my gauges are working as they should. :)

c-tang
08-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Yea I have this problem but everytime it stalls I just hit the bule button and Onstar gives me some gas. Ill Make them pay somehow.

JHughes
08-11-2011, 03:27 PM
I've had some problems with mine lately

twotoneblazer
08-17-2011, 05:04 PM
I hope I am following all of the posting procedures.

Long story short, my Trailblazer (2006 with 46,000 miles) was suffering from the faulty fuel level sensor problem. I called GM (and the National Highway people) to lodge a complaint (I took it to a dealer, got a quote and then nearly passed out. I wasn't willing to pay $1000 to repair a fuel level sensor). A few months later, I was driving--with about 50 miles left in my tank, according to my calculations--and my car stopped in the middle of the road.

After a fruitless AAA experience (are you sure it isnt a fuse, the battery or you just ran out of gas?), I had it towed to a local repair shop. They said that they have seen a lot of the fuel level sensors go bad, and have seen an increasing problem with fuel pumps. Something about the sensor and pump being attached--one one goes bad, the other one is going to too. They replaced the sensor, pump and filter.

Again, totally dumbfounded as why this would happen to a car with 46,000 miles on it (I only buy Shell fuel and have used those fuel system cleaners in the past), I called GM again to voice my concern with my car stopping in the middle of the road.

After jumping through a few loops, they tell me that GM just (as in earlier this month) issued a special bulletin on the fuel sensor problem (bouncing back and forth for a while, then eventually reading "empty" all the time)--not a full recall. They will pay 50% of the cost to replace the fuel level sensor (including labor).

They wanted me to tow the car to a dealer--I quickly shut this idea down. I already had the dealer diagnose the problem, I wasn't going to pay for a tow (already used my AAA tow) and told them it would have been great if they notified me of the special bulletin when it was issued (because I specifically asked to be added to the list when I first called a few months ago). They transferred my call to an upperlevel person and he told me that I just have to take my paperwork to a GM dealer and they will process it for me.

I have yet to go get the paperwork processed (I only got my car back on Monday). I still want a full recall! I think it is absurd that they are essentially admitting that the parts fail prematurely, but they are only 50% at fault...

I'd recommend calling GM before you do anything--file a complaint with them and tell them that a 50% reimbursement doesn't cut it.

N2daizo123
09-07-2011, 08:40 PM
I received a letter in the mail today from GM offering to pay 50% of the repair costs to fix the fuel gauge. I would have to take it to an authorized Chevrolet
dealer though. They also offered 50% reimbursement if you have already had this repair done. I already fixed mine myself for about $35 off ebay and 3 hours of my time.

neil benjamin
09-08-2011, 08:20 PM
they should just pay us for the repair done if we have a receipt , 865,000 , ridiculous . this should of been recalled a long time ago . like i said before this also happened on my 98 Pontiac . 865000? ridiculous ! wonder if there going to do anything about manifold blots and manifolds cracking ? or faulty fan clutches ............. never see another GM on my drive way !

wildbillrn
09-10-2011, 06:26 AM
Just received a letter from GM saying that they would pay up to $500. for repair of fuel guage problem.

My 05 EXT LS 4wd started developing erratic fuel indicator guage fluctuations in Dec. 09. Then developed the classic needle on E, bingo fuel light and chime after fill ups in Jan-Feb 2010 at ~ 48K miles. Have lived with it for 8K miles since using trip odometer & tracking miles driven to time fill ups.

Question: if this is a recall, was it mandatory or voluntary on GM's part?

Question: costs vary around the country for this repair, $300-$1000+, so how does the vehicle owner possibly get stuck with out of pocket expenses on a recall? I have had GM as well as other manufacturers' recalls and have never had to pay up to 1/2 the tab. Is it because my Tblazer is no longer under new vehicle bumper to bumper warranty?

Still blows me away that a $70-$130 part (the sensor) may need another $400 to $600 to get installed. This is not something I would be comfortable tackling on my own.

JamesInNE
09-15-2011, 09:15 PM
I just bought a 05 TB with 65,250 miles and the fuel gage went to E
The dealer took it to the Chevy dealer and they said they would pay 50%
That was still higher than his mech would charge but he was booked for a
week.
I picked it up on Tue and filled it with gas and the gage went to just over
3/4 tank so I filled again until it was clear full and still 3/4 by the gage
so it goes bck to the dealer on Mon.
I didn't make it the 35 miles home and the check engine light came on.
It is low coolant temp but the gage was at 210.

SJones6335
09-19-2011, 11:48 AM
My fuel guage has been going crazy for a while now & I had just started going by mileage before filling up. I logged in here to find some info to repair the problem & came across this thread. Well I called my local dealer to get info on this 50% offer from GM. The price they quoted me is $145 for the repair. This will be the first repair thats actually worth the price.

SJones6335
09-20-2011, 01:22 PM
The price of the repair actual came out lower than the quoted price. The Chevy dealer repaired it for $135.74.

Micho702
09-20-2011, 05:08 PM
I am putting mine in the shop tomorrow for the gauge. I informed the service guy of this letter GM put out about this fuel and he has heard of it. I hope they don't quote me $500 dollars like last time, and having me pick up $250.:eek: Seems like everyone else is getting better quotes. :(

barniejekyl
09-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Got a letter from GM today advising they will pay 50% of the repair charges provided I give them copies of the receipts....I called in a favor from a buddy and only got charged for the pump..........But, 50% return of the price of the pump is much better than 0% of sorry about your bad luck.....

IHZ05VOY
09-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Man my fuel gauge just went crazy yesterday. I came across this site since i bought my 05 envoy, and it has been helpful, i dont know much about cars right now, so its great to have this on hand. Thanks for this post. Anyone?? I bought at an independent dealer, should i go to them or just go to gmc dealer?

Lou Zerr
09-22-2011, 12:30 PM
For those that have had it done recently, are they replacing the entire pump assembly or just the sending unit? We were just quoted $136 ourselves for the issue, we've had it for about 9 months and have an appointment to get it fixed next Wednesday.

hendecp
09-22-2011, 05:41 PM
I don't know if anyone got the same letter I did this week from GM stating, "the fuel level sensor may wear prematurely." I battled this almost two years ago when I ran out of gas several times (wife really) and tried to find a recall. The research I did concluded that I was one of many that had the same issues. I eventually bought my own sending unit, dropped the gas tank and installed a new one. Not too bad, but time consuming to say the least. Well, GM is offering to pay for...... get this.... half of the repair it would cost to fix it. What a joke, why are they even trying?

:hissy::bonk::ugh:

DanEboys_SS
09-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Did anyone officially hear what is going on with On star selling our info?

the roadie
09-23-2011, 06:09 PM
Did anyone officially hear what is going on with On star selling our info?What is unclear? Onstar is being paid by Carfax for access to our mileage data so they can add it to the Carfax reports and sell it to insurance companies like State Farm. They reserve the right to retrieve that data by default from owners who do not opt OUT of the program, even if you cease paying for Onstar services, as long as the module is powered up. We don't get a dime of this revenue. Seems like simple capitalism to me.

Evil, but with full disclosure, except perhaps for buyers of used vehicles where the new owner doesn't even KNOW there's an active Onstar spy robot lurking under the rear seat. :hissy:

But this discussion is OT for this thread, so I'm considering moving it. Why did you post it here?

silvernclean
09-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I had my fuel lvl sensor repaired and paid 50% and came to $118:woot:

joel71960
09-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Everyone needs to post a complaint. GM is trying to get away with paying for half of a repair it should pay all of. This is clearly a manufacturer defect that they need to fix.
The correct link to the complaint Department of Transportation site is:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

Micho702
09-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Just got my fuel senor fix, also found out that my Fuel pump was going as well. I am glad I still had my warranty on the Trailblazer. The total cost was 207. Woot!!!:woohoo:

joel71960
09-24-2011, 05:28 PM
That's a great repair price, but where I am from all the dealers are telling me $800 minimum to fix the GM fuel gauge problem.

the roadie
09-24-2011, 08:05 PM
...all the dealers are telling me $800 minimum to fix the GM fuel gauge problem.Funny thing. As a consumer, they would charge you $800. When it's GM paying, they only can charge $300 and half of that is $150. See how that works? :hissy:

And our lurking GM social media rep thinks we're being too harsh on dealers and the prices they (as independent business owners) choose to charge? :rolleyes: :hopeless

joel71960
09-24-2011, 08:10 PM
Still seems like alot for a manufacturer defect that should be fixed by the company. I guess when it became 'Government Motors', the rules don't apply anymore.....

skimt4d
09-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Recv'd a letter today from gmc stating that they would split the cost of the repair with me if i took my 07' envoy to the dealer. I dont think gmc is doing enough considering the number of failures that have been reported. Besides, i know gmc is not going to pay the dealer the amoount that i will have to pay. Thanks for nothing gmc. Proffessional grade - my ass!

Lou Zerr
09-30-2011, 12:30 PM
I ponied up my half and got and also got an oil change (free because our original dealership closed due to restructuring) and coolant flush done at the same time. I never like to go to any dealerships for service, but I have to say that Lenzen Chevrolet in Chaska, MN has treated me well, never over charged (at least in my mind) and have always been courteous to us. My wife had to google how to read a fuel gauge.

Menthol
10-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I ponied up my half and got and also got an oil change (free because our original dealership closed due to restructuring) and coolant flush done at the same time. I never like to go to any dealerships for service, but I have to say that Lenzen Chevrolet in Chaska, MN has treated me well, never over charged (at least in my mind) and have always been courteous to us. My wife had to google how to read a fuel gauge.
Why did she read it as E for Enough and F for finish, I knew a girl who did. :dielaugh:

kiell
10-02-2011, 04:51 AM
I seem to share the fate with many who have bought a GMC Envoy, for a long time I thought this was just a "bad egg" of a vehicle, but after spending many months of research and reading forums on these vehicles I see that I am not alone. I cannot even begin to count off all the problems I have had with this General Motors flop but I hold out hope that this vehicle can be saved - from fuel sending unit issues to driver's side door 'brain box' replacement issues, to air pumps and ign. switches and blower modules and encoder motors... this vehicle is a fascinating failure which at this point I would trade it in for a 1982 Murray 10 speed bicycle, but I cant afford to pay the difference owed as the bicycle is most likely valued more than the vehicle...and unfortunately is not a "Wednsday" vehicle.

NickRummy
10-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Just got my letter in the mail stating they will pay half. UNREAL! So basically....

"We realize we screwed up so we'll give you a discount on fixing it"

Seriously?

RJMJR
10-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Just got my letter in the mail stating they will pay half. UNREAL! So basically....

"We realize we screwed up so we'll give you a discount on fixing it"

Seriously?

Yep that's the way they roll. It is nice to have the gauge work now. Just replaced the driver's side exterior door handle that broke. It is made from cheap plastic. Still love the Rainier but hate the nagging problems that pop up from time to time.

R.:bonk:

mckissell
10-10-2011, 12:18 PM
Happened at 36,201mi. Ran out of gas in the middle lane of a 6 lane highway. Definitely a safety hazard. been using the digital gauge, which has to be reset at each fillup. Had to schedule the inspection during a time when the tank was only half full to avoid having the engine light on. I want GM to recall and pay in full. Complained to NTSA. We need more complaints!Anyone out there know of a class action suit? thanks:mad:

phiremin
10-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Just got my letter.

I had the work done 1.5 years ago at a cost of $500. So, I guess I'll be getting $250 back.

Just as a FYI, the letter uses the words "if you accept this offer". This implies that there may be a class action lawsuit or they may be forced to move forward with a recall (and pay for the whole repair). This also implies that if you accept this offer, you may give up your rights to full payment if they do a recall later (since you accepted their 50% offer).

If you really think the complaints will mean that GM will need to do a recall, then you could always take you chances and decline their offer. Personally, I paid for this repair 1.5 years ago and this is "found money" to me, so I'm going to take the $250 and run.

mikesarebetter
10-11-2011, 01:01 AM
jeez.. after reading all this i'm starting to regret buying my trailblazer.. no issues yet but i'm only 2 weeks into owning it. f...

NickRummy
10-11-2011, 08:22 AM
jeez.. after reading all this i'm starting to regret buying my trailblazer.. no issues yet but i'm only 2 weeks into owning it. f...

Honestly, the TB has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. It has had a few little issues here and there but I've had it for 3 years and the only thing that needed replaced besides this fuel sensor was ball joints and tie rod ends and last year I had to do the front wheel bearings. Luckily I have an unlimited drive train warranty through my dealer that covered it.

Does anyone have a copy of this letter online?

phiremin
10-11-2011, 11:27 AM

I have a 2007 Trailblazer, which I bought new in July 2007 (I now have about 77k miles):

Fixed so far...
- Fuel level sensor
- Driver door control module
- Differential Seal
- Window motor
- Transmission cooler lines
- Steering position sensor
- Camshaft actuator solinoid sensor

I'm probably going to sell it next year and get someting else.

mikesarebetter
10-11-2011, 08:32 PM
I have a 2007 Trailblazer, which I bought new in July 2007 (I now have about 77k miles):

Fixed so far...
- Fuel level sensor
- Driver door control module
- Differential Seal
- Window motor
- Transmission cooler lines
- Steering position sensor
- Camshaft actuator solinoid sensor

I'm probably going to sell it next year and get someting else.

i have a 1998 buick park avenue that i bought with 120k on her. currently has 250k on her and the only thing i've had to fix were the front wheel bearings and other small wear products.. brakes, rotors, etc. The a/c system just went down on me but it's only a small leak somewhere that i have yet to search for.

shows that gm can make a quality product but can equally produce a giant turd

sevendj
10-12-2011, 01:22 PM
i have a 1998 buick park avenue that i bought with 120k on her. currently has 250k on her and the only thing i've had to fix were the front wheel bearings and other small wear products.. brakes, rotors, etc. The a/c system just went down on me but it's only a small leak somewhere that i have yet to search for.

shows that gm can make a quality product but can equally produce a giant turd

Conversely, I've owned mine since 17k, and I'm over 60k, without a single issue yet.

Oh wait, I changed one of my rear brake lights...

It's a car. Things break. Please don't be upset when they do! I know I won't be.

ewbldavis
10-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Agreed on the GM turd...I love my GM products...the TB is one of the best vehicles we ever owned...2nd only to a 1998 Sunfire sedan.

Conversly, I have an '07 Pontiac that I would watch with glee if it ever caught fire...stupid little s*** that is wrong with it.

I want a new Sierra...but I do slightly hesitate with another GM!:undecided

Envoy4Life
10-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Hmmm... we haven't got a letter yet.

trailtrooper
10-23-2011, 12:17 PM
my local dealer here in South jersey wants 928.00 for parts and labor for the repair :bonk::rolleyes:

WOOLUF1952
10-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Same here. Wonder where I put that receipt or even if the dealership still has a copy.

It's in the glove box. :woohoo:

The dealer may have a copy depending on how long ago you had it done.

CTB01085
11-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Is the replacement part a newly engineered/designed part or the same part that is there now, just new? If replaced under this recall-of-sorts, will it just fail again in a few years? The dealership I spoke to today did not have an answer to this :undecided

CTB01085
12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Brought it to the dealership today to have it replaced was told $150 to get it done. Ok fine, it has been a long time since it has worked, seemed reasonable. They could not answer if it was a new part or a newly engineered part. I asked if it were replaced, would they guarantee it would not happen again in a week, month, a year, the service guy wouldn't even respond to that question. Took the day off from work. Received a call an hour after dropping off saying that the lines to the fuel sensor as well as the tank seal were rusted and may break if they were to continue, parts and labor would exceed $1000. If I stopped them right then, I would owe them only $200 for taking the tank down and replacing. I replied that I was from New England; of course there would be normal rust on any exposed parts. (GM wouldn't account for this in their "campaign"???). I couldn't take the gamble that they wouldn't break something, so they re-installed the tank. I am out $200. Called GM and they said the dealership should incur all costs associated w/ the replacement. Spoke to dealership after; they said GM called shortly after my having them put the tank back. They are reading the "campaign" paperwork >>>

"Inform the customer that any additional diagnosis and repairs are not covered under this special coverage".

The dealership is saying they are absolutely not paying for anything but the sensor. Supposedly the GM district mgr is backing this statement as well. I am waiting for a call back from GM tomorrow to see if there is a remedy to this (not holding my breath). GM is supposedly going to reimburse me for the $200 (again, not holding breath). They want to make it right by the customer.

I told the dealership/GM that I was putting them on notice that if I should be injured, or god forbid hurt someone else because of this, that I tried fixing this issue under the original campaign. The interpretation of the above clause does not say anything about them not including any other materials, especially if they break them.

Wouldn't it be like having a carpet installed in an old house, if they damage the walls, the company should pay to fix? Or if an electrician is quoted to do a job, and comes in and burns down your home, shouldn't he be responsible for fixing? Yes the undercarriage has some rust, all vehicles have, shouldnít GM account for the unforeseen issues that may arise in the repair? What do you make of the notation/interpretation above? -Jeff

neil benjamin
12-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Brought it to the dealership today to have it replaced was told $150 to get it done. Ok fine, it has been a long time since it has worked, seemed reasonable. They could not answer if it was a new part or a newly engineered part. I asked if it were replaced, would they guarantee it would not happen again in a week, month, a year, the service guy wouldn't even respond to that question. Took the day off from work. Received a call an hour after dropping off saying that the lines to the fuel sensor as well as the tank seal were rusted and may break if they were to continue, parts and labor would exceed $1000. If I stopped them right then, I would owe them only $200 for taking the tank down and replacing. I replied that I was from New England; of course there would be normal rust on any exposed parts. (GM wouldn't account for this in their "campaign"???). I couldn't take the gamble that they wouldn't break something, so they re-installed the tank. I am out $200. Called GM and they said the dealership should incur all costs associated w/ the replacement. Spoke to dealership after; they said GM called shortly after my having them put the tank back. They are reading the "campaign" paperwork >>>

"Inform the customer that any additional diagnosis and repairs are not covered under this special coverage".

The dealership is saying they are absolutely not paying for anything but the sensor. Supposedly the GM district mgr is backing this statement as well. I am waiting for a call back from GM tomorrow to see if there is a remedy to this (not holding my breath). GM is supposedly going to reimburse me for the $200 (again, not holding breath). They want to make it right by the customer.

I told the dealership/GM that I was putting them on notice that if I should be injured, or god forbid hurt someone else because of this, that I tried fixing this issue under the original campaign. The interpretation of the above clause does not say anything about them not including any other materials, especially if they break them.

Wouldn't it be like having a carpet installed in an old house, if they damage the walls, the company should pay to fix? Or if an electrician is quoted to do a job, and comes in and burns down your home, shouldn't he be responsible for fixing? Yes the undercarriage has some rust, all vehicles have, shouldnít GM account for the unforeseen issues that may arise in the repair? What do you make of the notation/interpretation above? -Jeff

I think bottom line is Gm really does not care about customers . Most of us who own these trucks on here are enthusiast . i am . But i don't think I will ever buy another GM product .
I have been waiting for months know for a reply from GM canada .

IHZ05VOY
12-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Well I must be very lucky because I just came back from the stealership and the sensor is bad, but i was also told that the fuel line is bad. the fuel line is bad because some dumb moron ziptied and sealed one of the lines with epoxy to the tank, so the fuel lines have to be replaced. I was quoted $210 for fuel line part & sensor. $210 includes the 50/50 deal GMC is offering. Considering all the prices you all mentioned I got a nice deal. Another mechanic just got done quoting me for $200 for labor and i must go online and buy parts to take to him, which would run about $600 total. stealership is not look so bad right now.:woot::woohoo: by Mon afternoon my Voy should be 100%.

CTB01085
12-09-2011, 05:37 PM
Was told today by Chevy Customer Service (Maria) that there is nothing they can do to help me. When speaking to the service rep at the dealership that took my TB in, thye stated that there was rust present on the lines and tank seal, and that is out of the purview of the service campaign, Customer Service agrees. My complaint was then to try to salvage the $$$ spent for them dropping the tank down to find this condition. Should these professionals not have seen some indication of this prior to dropping it or by experience know that it would be as such w/o having to drop? Did GM not believe that there would be some form of rust on the parts and thus include in this replacement 50/50 cost, knowing that people drive in all sorts of weather. The campign afterall says it is good up t0 120,000 miles. I would have thought that the dealership could could have diagnosed such w/o having to drop the tank and therefore charging me $200. Interesting that the fix if successful would have only costed $150, but seeing I did not move forward, it was $200 to put back, without even replacing the sensor. Buyer beware, do not buy at Central Chevrolet, West Springfield, MA!!!

I am going to try another dealership to see what type of response a receive concerning this campaign.

Also, to all, Chevy Customer Service is courtesy of our good friends in Buenos Aires, Argentina (NICE!). So much for the 100 year anniversary, tug at your heart strings, American-based commercials you see on tv.

IHZ05VOY
12-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Was told today by Chevy Customer Service (Maria) that there is nothing they can do to help me. When speaking to the service rep at the dealership that took my TB in, thye stated that there was rust present on the lines and tank seal, and that is out of the purview of the service campaign, Customer Service agrees. My complaint was then to try to salvage the $$$ spent for them dropping the tank down to find this condition. Should these professionals not have seen some indication of this prior to dropping it or by experience know that it would be as such w/o having to drop? Did GM not believe that there would be some form of rust on the parts and thus include in this replacement 50/50 cost, knowing that people drive in all sorts of weather. The campign afterall says it is good up t0 120,000 miles. I would have thought that the dealership could could have diagnosed such w/o having to drop the tank and therefore charging me $200. Interesting that the fix if successful would have only costed $150, but seeing I did not move forward, it was $200 to put back, without even replacing the sensor. Buyer beware, do not buy at Central Chevrolet, West Springfield, MA!!!

I am going to try another dealership to see what type of response a receive concerning this campaign.

Also, to all, Chevy Customer Service is courtesy of our good friends in Buenos Aires, Argentina (NICE!). So much for the 100 year anniversary, tug at your heart strings, American-based commercials you see on tv.

Man sucks, I really hate the bad stories some of you have. They dropped my tank only to see that they could not work on my voy because the fuel line was bad, but Sales guy told me that he could get the part in by Mon, and that he would not charge for labor. I told him I was going to be back Mon and that i wanted my truck. He went out back, and got my truck. I can or not go back, but I will because I cant beat the price he got me. Good luck with your truck :thumbsup:

UF19
12-12-2011, 09:02 PM
GM will finally pay 50% for the costs of the sending unit/fuel level sensor repair. They will refund your money if you send them the bill with the "recall" that is not called a recall by them. Strange. The should just replace them all as they are crap parts for various years of Envoys, ect.