Dexron III vs. Dexron VI [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Dexron III vs. Dexron VI

nmcgoogan
05-25-2011, 11:05 AM
My owners manual calls for Dexron III but it looks like most talk on here centers around Dexron VI...

What are the pros/cons of making this switch, and would my tranny be better protected with the VI? What do you use?

Just want to make the best choice that won't cost me $1700+ in the long run!

Thanks for the input.

RayVoy
05-25-2011, 11:18 AM
I'd be surprised if you could still buy 3.

And, I don't know about the availability of 6.

However, any bottle of 5 will work fine in your tranny; 6 will (should) work as well, as these products are usually compatible with the older transmissions.

bartonmd
05-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Dex 6 is just the semi-synthetic updated version of Dex 3. You can still get "meets Dex 3 specification" fluid everywhere, but they no longer license Dex 3. Only Dex 6...

Use Dex 6.

Mike

WOOLUF1952
05-25-2011, 05:37 PM
I didn't know they made a Dexron V. I thought they went from III to VI. :confused:

Maybe because it is twice as good? :crackup:

ieatglue
05-25-2011, 07:31 PM
I looked into this. The GM site says to STAY AWAY FROM DEX III, and only use DEXRON VI. Dexron VI is a lot more stable at higher temperatures and lasts longer. It can also be used to top off dexron 3, however, you can't use dexron 3 if you already have dexron 6 originally in your trans, or if it has been flushed with dexron 6.

If at any time a GM dealer does work to the transmission, they will ALWAYS use dexron 6 :D

The sell it at my local chain store for $8.99 a bottle or $20 a gallon

RayVoy
05-25-2011, 09:04 PM
However, any bottle of 5 will work fine in your tranny; 6 will (should) work as well, as these products are usually compatible with the older transmissions.

I didn't know they made a Dexron V. I thought they went from III to VI.WOOLUF1952, it appears you are correct. The Roman numeral designation, by the way, loosely equates to the number of gears in the transmission. Dexron V1 was created for the GM 6 speed transmissions.
The III was created for the 3 speed transmissions.
I thought the recent 4 speed trannies had an upgraded Dexron III, that was called a V. Sorry for the unsubstantiated information :duh:.

Roaming around though, I have found out that the new VI has a considerable increase in change time :woot: The suggested change interval mileage has doubled, with some lube companies suggesting 200,000 miles between changes. :undecided

WOOLUF1952
05-26-2011, 02:19 AM
:offtopic:

I sure hope they don't go from metric tools to Roman numerals.

Imagine trying to find a XIX socket to change tires. Or a XXXVI open end wrench for the fan clutch.:duh:

Macatowa
05-26-2011, 06:48 AM
I have run Dex 3 for 182k and about 3 or so transmission changes, I have also towed a 6,000 lb load more than a few times. Original Tranny, Dooohhh knock on wood fast!

Doc Brown
05-26-2011, 10:52 AM
I have run Dex 3 for 182k and about 3 or so transmission changes, I have also towed a 6,000 lb load more than a few times. Original Tranny, Dooohhh knock on wood fast!

The older Trailvoys had Dex III in from the factory, so using it is perfectly fine. If you have a dealer, or anyone else change your fluid they will use Dex VI. Even NAPA recommended Dex VI over Dex III when I did my last fluid change. The official GM standard is that Dex VI supersedes Dex III and that III should no longer be used.

ieatglue
05-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Dexron XI? wow what an advancement... :raspberry

Oops, my bad :D

3 vs 6
http://www.sandyblogs.com/techlink/May_09_Techlink_Fig3.jpg

shaun4282
05-28-2011, 01:56 PM
I just flushed out my tranny with Valvoline VI synthetic, runs much smoother than before!!!, but I have heard some stuff about not changing out fluid if you have higher milage, something about how it does more damage to the clutch plates running new fluid through it....like I said, that's what I heard.... PS- does anyone know exactly how many qts out TB's take?
Thanks!

jbernatz
05-28-2011, 05:55 PM
I just flushed out my tranny with Valvoline VI synthetic, runs much smoother than before!!!, but I have heard some stuff about not changing out fluid if you have higher milage, something about how it does more damage to the clutch plates running new fluid through it....like I said, that's what I heard.... PS- does anyone know exactly how many qts out TB's take?
Thanks!

It's in the area of 11-13 full qts....I used about 14 quarts to do a full flush on my trans a week or two ago. That includes some of the fresh stuff that got pumped out during the flush.

shaun4282
05-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Yeah that's what I thought too, I had originally bought 15 just beacuse it was my first time doing it and I used all of them....one more item checked off the list! :thumbsup:

jimmyjam
05-28-2011, 11:01 PM
dex 6 goes for what, $7-8 a quart? the **** aint cheap. if you're driving like a regular human dex3 is decent, if you're an idiot like me doing 3k rpm brake stand launches youd best spend the money

ieatglue
05-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Not everyone has an SS to be doing that :D

ScarabEpic22
05-29-2011, 01:22 AM
Not everyone has an SS to be doing that :D

I brake stand the 02 more than my SS, too worried the POS 4L70E in its gonna take a crap on me! The 02 just spins the tires. :woot:

LBB
05-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Can they both be mixed together?

Trailblaze_2002
05-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Can they both be mixed together?

You can mix Dex 6 with Dex 3 but only if your trans is Dex 3 rated already. You can't mix Dex 3 into a newer Dex 6 rated trans.

LBB
05-30-2011, 08:50 PM
You can mix Dex 6 with Dex 3 but only if your trans is Dex 3 rated already. You can't mix Dex 3 into a newer Dex 6 rated trans.

Is a 06 one rated Dex 3 or Dex 6?

Trailblaze_2002
05-30-2011, 09:04 PM
Is a 06 one rated Dex 3 or Dex 6?

It should explain that in your owners manual and if you don't have one look under the resources tab and click OEM manuals! To save you the trouble it takes Dex 6 only.

rubberman
06-26-2011, 04:40 PM
My 04 shows Dex III in the manual. Also shows for just a fluid and filter change it takes 5 qrts. I'm gonna do mine soon, i do have DexIII around but i may opt for the VI and add a drain plug.

WOOLUF1952
06-26-2011, 05:00 PM
Dex III is no longer licensed by GM, but it won't hurt to use it or mix with Dex VI.:m2:

RedEnvoyDenali
06-26-2011, 05:16 PM
Dex III is no longer licensed by GM, but it won't hurt to use it or mix with Dex VI.:m2:

Or any other high end replacement fluid such as Mobile 1, Amsoil, Royal Purple etc.

palafoja
06-26-2011, 05:44 PM
My owners manual calls for Dexron III but it looks like most talk on here centers around Dexron VI...

What are the pros/cons of making this switch, and would my tranny be better protected with the VI? What do you use?

Just want to make the best choice that won't cost me $1700+ in the long run!

Thanks for the input.

well, this is my opinions and my expierence, my manual(03 TB I6) also calls for dexIII, but I read somewhere in here that dexVI is the newer stuff and that dexIII would be hard to find anyway, so I was not shooting for a complete flush, only 5 quarts and the filter. I went to the napa store(did some research before) grabed a bottle of DexVI, read the label and it said(more or less) DexVI was replacing dexII and dexIII and it was compatible with those older fluids, so I grabbed all 5 quarts, the filter and went home, did the job, no leaks everything fine, took it out for a test drive.......................and what a difference that made, smoother shifting, faster acceleration I also replaced the plugs a couple thounsand miles ago, but the big difference was the transmission fluid and filter, and again I did not flush the whole thing.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

rubberman
06-27-2011, 01:43 PM
DexIII isnt hard to find. Hell i searched walmart/autozone/advanceauto sites and all they advertise is DexIII.

akvanden
07-27-2011, 11:51 AM
dex 6 goes for what, $7-8 a quart? the **** aint cheap. if you're driving like a regular human dex3 is decent, if you're an idiot like me doing 3k rpm brake stand launches youd best spend the money

Paying 8 dollars a quart x 14 quarts as someone mentioned, I will spend the extra $20 and just have the shop do it.

rudiger
08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Just changed my transmission filter and pan gasket this weekend. Used DexVI as per GMC. I had my son, a GMC Tech buy it all from his GMC dealership. Cost me $65.00 for 5 qts and the GM parts. It took less than an hour.