Changed CPAS and now engine won't turn over [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Changed CPAS and now engine won't turn over

Shipman5
07-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Sooo, a friend borrowed our TB that was giving an occasional p0014 code. I know this was most likely the CPAS so I purchased one but hadn't gotten to install it.

Our friend reported the truck having stalled at idle and had it pushed into a parking spot after repeated attempts to restart.

Here is where the fun starts, when I get the the car the battery is @11 volts and the code reader shows two codes:

P0014-Exhaust Camshaft Position Timing over advanced (Bank 1)
P1345-Camshaft to crankshft position correlation fault

I replace the CPAS and swap in a new battery and the starter solenoid kicks in and the starter tries to spin but it won't turn over the engine.

Figuring that the repeated attempts to start the car cooked the 9 y/o starter I travel to the local recycler and procure a different starter. Once installed it does essentially the same thing except once where it seemed to want to turn it over but stopped.

Here is where she stands now:
Starter - clicks but won't turn over motor, shows 12.23 volts at + cable
Battery - new off the shelf, tests @ 12.28 volts

SO any ideas? I'm pretty stumped. I am charging up my jump pack to see if the new battery just doesn't have enough juice. At this point I'm about to ask if anybody wants a TB with a bad motor and dump it.:suicide:

WOOLUF1952
07-14-2011, 03:39 AM
Have you checked the oil?

Two starters that won't get the engine to crank, may be a seized engine. :m2:

If a jump box or other battery to help jump start doesn't do the job, remove the plugs and try turning over the engine with a wrench.

But first make sure you are getting a solid connection at the battery.

Good luck.

Shipman5
07-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Have you checked the oil?

Two starters that won't get the engine to crank, may be a seized engine. :m2:

If a jump box or other battery to help jump start doesn't do the job, remove the plugs and try turning over the engine with a wrench.

But first make sure you are getting a solid connection at the battery.

Good luck.

Yup, checked oil but car is not on level surface (nose up) so I don't trust it. I'm going to have it brought home so I can yank the plugs and turn it over by hand, hopefully.

How much is a TB with a seized engine worth for parts...:cry:

WOOLUF1952
07-14-2011, 07:27 PM
How much is a TB with a seized engine worth for parts...:cry:

A lot will depend on the condition of the truck and the accessories in it.

One other thought: If the engine does turn over easily by hand, you might want to try a re-manned starter. You may have gotten a bad one from the re-cycler.

It's the chances you take getting used equipment. You never know how long it has been used or sat rusting.