2003 CV Joint Replacement [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: 2003 CV Joint Replacement

bear52
07-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Hello!!! I'm new to this forum because quite frankly my 2003 Trailblazer has been good to me.

I am going to attempt to replace a driver-side CV joint, and was wondering if there's any "special" tools or tricks to do the job. My friend who has been a mechanic for 40+ years has all the "special" tools, but he's on vacation. Any tips or step-by-step instructions/videos would be great.

Thanks all,

Barry

:undecided

dp28688
08-27-2011, 03:27 PM
i need to change mine out also. searched forum didnt see any cv joint info. anyone out there?

EwingJK
08-27-2011, 04:06 PM
i need to change mine out also. searched forum didnt see any cv joint info. anyone out there?

Seriously!! :duh:

I just did a search on CV AXLE and got a hit on 300 posts. You need to spend a little time to research and read the posts. That's the way I and many others located the information prior to replacing our CV shafts.

http://forums.trailvoy.com/search.php?searchid=4364867&pp=30

bear52
08-27-2011, 06:07 PM
I guess that's why they make CHAPTER VP's and Platinum Members...no help.....just criticism's...

BTW....mine is fixed....not from any help from CHAPTER VP's or Platinum Members...

the roadie
08-28-2011, 12:26 PM
..just criticism's...No, trying to teach you how to be self-sufficient and not wait for a Knight in Shining Armor to come along and save you. That's why your initial post was ignored.

With over a MILLION posts and 90,000 members, you HAVE to figure that many of us have changed CV shafts and discussed them EXTENSIVELY.

Now it's true that the site search ignores short words like "CV" I believe. So just Google for it, and restrict the search to trailvoy using this simple trick that EVERYBODY should know:

CV shaft replacement site:trailvoy.com

Good Googling skills are as essential to modern life as knowing how to hunt your own game was in the 18th century. :yes:

2005trailblazer
08-28-2011, 12:54 PM
I guess that's why they make CHAPTER VP's and Platinum Members...no help.....just criticism's...

BTW....mine is fixed....not from any help from CHAPTER VP's or Platinum Members...

chapter and platinum members do a lot behind the sean work you don't see they do more than you know. There not here to criticize. They just get tired of people not doing the work to search. You really should try different word phrase for searches I tried many searches came up. Put in cv shaft or half shaft.

Mooseman2
08-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Hey Roadie, how about adding what you just said into a sticky in the site help and suggestions? Put it right on top of it in big bold letters. A lot of people don't know about the Google site search.

I do a lot of searching here and usually find what I'm looking for but, as you said, there is a LOT of information here and sifting through for that needle in the haystack can be difficult. I'm fairly new to the site myself and instead of admonishing or berating new members, I help them out with the info, which takes just as long as criticizing them, especially compared to you when you sometimes make elaborate posts with cartoons and long speeches. All that serves to do is turn off new members (or even old ones) and possibly lose a contributing member which could potentially solve some problem we are having with our trucks. And lord knows we have a lot of them!

Search is NOT the "be all, end all" it is purported to be. Knowledge sharing is! In your 24000+ posts, how many of those are really un-helpful? Now there's a waste of your time!

OK everybody... :grouphug:

the roadie
08-28-2011, 01:27 PM
In your 24000+ posts, how many of those are really un-helpful? I'll stack up a few thousand technically-deep system-explanation posts against a few hundred snarky ones. But you're right, the few hundred snarky ones are what some folks remember. If a snappish comeback gets ten non-member guests to search instead of post up and pollute the archives, it's actually a net gain for future searchers. Now there's a waste of your time!
Agreed. And a waste of karma. But sometimes the village NEEDS severed heads on pikes outside the walls, to serve as an example to others. ;)

We almost (before the most recent change of ownership) were going to be able to hire a paid position of content manager, to fix up all the FAQs, consolidate the best how-tos into Stickied areas, and end the reliance on unpaid volunteers to write and edit things 100% of the time. Didn't happen, and now it never will. :sadcry:

Mooseman2
08-28-2011, 01:39 PM
We almost (before the most recent change of ownership) were going to be able to hire a paid position of content manager, to fix up all the FAQs, consolidate the best how-tos into Stickied areas, and end the reliance on unpaid volunteers to write and edit things 100% of the time. Didn't happen, and now it never will. :sadcry:

That's a shame. No new articles or stickies? Now that would have been helpful :sadcry:

the roadie
08-28-2011, 04:13 PM
...No new articles or stickies?...Not quite. We can still put significantly useful threads into the Stickie sections of each forum. It's just members have to write them. Mods can promote them.

bear52
08-28-2011, 06:03 PM
BRAVO !!!! Mooseman. Stated very eloquently. I don't care if there's 10 million posts on a particular subject in any forum.....if I believe I can help the guy TODAY.....I'll respond to him. Thank you for your post.

And, I guess maybe the "CHAPTER VP and Platinum Member" should get spell-check put on his computer...

the roadie
08-28-2011, 08:46 PM
...I don't care if there's 10 million posts on a particular subject in any forum.....if I believe I can help the guy TODAY.....I'll respond to him. ...Enthusiastic noobs keep every forum fresh. Thanks for volunteering. :thumbsup:

Many of us regulars have turned into "teach them how to fish" folks instead of "give them a fish" answer-machine-human-Google-bots. When you have been abused by thousands of lazy noobs over time, you might change as well. Until then, carry on - I'll be looking for swift and accurate answers out of you guys. :D

PS: I see no errors in punctuation or spelling in my buddy JK Ewing's post. Not sure what you do. He's the only Chapter VP posting in this thread.

PPS: Ever hear the parable: "Feed a man a fish and he's fed for a day .... TEACH a man to fish and he's fed for a lifetime..." Good Google skills are today's version of that.

busterbrown
08-28-2011, 10:22 PM
"Feed a man a fish and he's fed for a day .... TEACH a man to fish and he's fed for a lifetime..." Good Google skills are today's version of that.

Oh...oh. I have a question. Will Google help me land a 6 lb small mouth next weekend? :dielaugh::dielaugh:

KCK831
08-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Oh...oh. I have a question. Will Google help me land a 6 lb small mouth next weekend? :dielaugh::dielaugh:

Short answer....yes. Long answer yes it will =D

EwingJK
08-28-2011, 10:57 PM
Roadie, Thanks for speaking up for me.

Everything I've learned from this forum I learned from searching and investing a little time reading the relevant posts. I get a little bent out of shape when a noob says they searched but couldn't find even one post for a very common subject. After all, how hard is it to type "replace cv shaft" into the search engine? As far as helping on the spot, if I have the information readily available I will provide it. I have spent numerous hours finding and providing information that took a little bit of searching. More times than not, the IP being helped doesn't even bother acknowledging whether the information provided was useful or not. I've given up on noobs that want instant gratification without doing even the simplest search. I had my say and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. Maybe I should start posting my boilerplate "Search is your friend" again when these noobs FAIL.

gmdude2004
08-28-2011, 11:17 PM
:sadcry:whaaaa I dont wanna work for free information ! whaaaa:sadcry:

the roadie
08-29-2011, 01:08 AM
...Maybe I should start posting my boilerplate "Search is your friend" again when these noobs FAIL.I've had my posts reported as "unfriendly bastid" and "usless reply" when I used to use that phrase. Seems the noobs don't understand to which group a reported post gets escalated to. :dielaugh:

So now I tend to run the search FOR them, and post this sort of link as a hint of how to do it themselves: http://forums.offroadtb.com/images/smilies/stickpokesf2.gif

http://tinyurl.com/3zuf5l7

Mooseman2
08-29-2011, 05:26 PM
Yeah, but as the old saying goes "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink". But then, nothing stops you from drowning him in it :dielaugh:

CoryellSP
03-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Wow. I have been a member of this site for a long time and it has helped me immensely. Unfortunately, this thread has caused me to lose a lot of respect for you guys. I haven't been on here for awhile, but it looks like things have changed.:no:

Sure, it can get annoying to a regular member that sees the same thing every day, but be professional for crying out loud, you're supposed to be leaders. If you don't like taking the responsibilities of your title, give it up. I hope people see the comments above before helping you next time you're having trouble.

I'm sure you will remove my post since you have the authority. Go ahead... just further shows who you are. <disgusted>