Front differential replaced at 400miles [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Front differential replaced at 400miles

shoemo1
05-26-2006, 03:26 AM
:mad: Any one else had differential troubles and how worried should I be? and now my steering wheel is no longer staight. Help

NORCAL SS
05-26-2006, 03:46 AM
i hear about all these awd problems im glad i went with 2wd. THere are 2 trucks at the dealership now with front diff probs.

good luck man

ugotmale2day
05-26-2006, 04:15 AM
:iagree:

TBSS
05-26-2006, 04:19 AM
:iagree: :iagree:

2002SLT
05-26-2006, 09:21 AM
i hear about all these awd problems im glad i went with 2wd. THere are 2 trucks at the dealership now with front diff probs.

good luck man

How many on this board have had this problem?

My trucks will always be AWD, or 4WD due to our winters. If I lived in Cali, I wouldn't see the need either.

1BADSS
05-26-2006, 12:14 PM
No problems with my AWD and I beat the hell out of it.

RacerXDJN
05-26-2006, 01:08 PM
How many on this board have had this problem?

My trucks will always be AWD, or 4WD due to our winters. If I lived in Cali, I wouldn't see the need either.

What part of IL are you in? I have a 4wd Colorado, and have never had to use the 4wd. In the Chicago area last winter we had all of two days, with any amount of snow.

squiggyacfd
05-26-2006, 01:24 PM
:mad: Any one else had differential troubles and how worried should I be? and now my steering wheel is no longer staight. Help

I am hearing a high pitch squealing sound when the truck is moving. Doesnt start till ive been driving about 5 miles. It seems the loudest at 5-20 mph. Is this what you had? Ive got about 500 miles on it AWD.

2002SLT
05-26-2006, 01:26 PM
What part of IL are you in? I have a 4wd Colorado, and have never had to use the 4wd. In the Chicago area last winter we had all of two days, with any amount of snow.

North East. We had several days where the 4WD, on my old Envoy, came in handy. Especially on one Friday night in December when we got about 10". I don't use it very often, but it's nice when I need it. :yes:

shoemo1
05-26-2006, 03:34 PM
Yes that is what I had and the dealer told me it was not lubricated at the factory causing the squeeling. I would get it checked out asap.

webxfx
05-26-2006, 03:56 PM

good luck man

Is there a TBS for this issue? is it just the Oil Leaking?

SSkeetobite
05-26-2006, 04:12 PM
2WD differential replaced last week.

shoemo1
05-26-2006, 04:45 PM
No there wasn't a TSB on it and it was loud and getting louder untill i had it replaced. There were no leaks either.

1BADSS
05-26-2006, 05:42 PM
No there wasn't a TSB on it and it was loud and getting louder untill i had it replaced. There were no leaks either.

Yes there is a TSB. My dealer brought it up.

vette3
05-26-2006, 06:06 PM
good luck manI have a high pitch squeel but it's my wife:D Have I missed something? I have not seen anything other than a couple here. What are the others?

1BADSS
05-26-2006, 07:19 PM
I have a high pitch squeel but it's my wife:D Have I missed something? I have not seen anything other than a couple here. What are the others?

Just lube it up, then it makes a good squeal..:D

Red SS
05-26-2006, 07:31 PM
I abuse the **** out of my AWD truck and have no problems. I think these are just isolated incidents.

1BADSS
05-26-2006, 08:15 PM
I abuse the **** out of my AWD truck and have no problems. I think these are just isolated incidents.

yeah no ****.lol

ugotmale2day
05-26-2006, 09:17 PM
1badSS, I sure hope n heck u don't have any issues as you paid 50k for your SS, LMAO:hissy:

1BADSS
05-26-2006, 09:22 PM
1badSS, I sure hope n heck u don't have any issues as you paid 50k for your SS, LMAO:hissy:

Nope.. Mine came in GOLD.lol

ugotmale2day
05-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Ah its all good bro jus messin wiff ya :)

ltz03
05-28-2006, 02:16 PM
what is the tsb #???? mine whines and i just thaught is was the awd but if there is a problem i want it fixed

squiggyacfd
05-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Im taken the SS in the morning, if there is a problem hope fullythey will find it. Ill keep u posted

trailnablaze
05-29-2006, 06:41 PM
I am hearing a high pitch squealing sound when the truck is moving. Doesnt start till ive been driving about 5 miles. It seems the loudest at 5-20 mph. Is this what you had? Ive got about 500 miles on it AWD.

I have also heard the high pitch squeeling noise, but today it wasn't there when I drove the vehicle. Is it still there when you come to a stop?

squiggyacfd
05-29-2006, 06:49 PM
I have also heard the high pitch squeeling noise, but today it wasn't there when I drove the vehicle. Is it still there when you come to a stop?

When I am stopped the sound stops.
The sound also seems to appear when I have driven about 5 miles. When I first get into the truck in the morning and go to work, I dont hear it. thats why Im not sure if the dealer will find the problem.

squiggyacfd
05-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Got back from the dealer. They told me that they could not duplicate the sound. They put about 15 miles on it though.
I also told them to fix the fog lights along with the grill. the grill was very loose. when i picked it up they said the brackets were ordered and that they couldnt find a loose grill. when they pulled my truck up, I started looking over it. I was surprised to see that they actually did fix the lower grill, BUT there was an inch long deep scratch on the interior of the bumper where the grill sits. I was pissed.:mad: They obviously made the scratch when they were fixing the grill and said they couldnt find a problem so they wouldnt be responsible for it. He did say they will fix it when i bring it back for the lights. They better fix it!!!!! It sucks needing to leave ur truck at a dealership. who knows whats goin to happen to it.

NORCAL SS
05-31-2006, 11:20 AM
went to the dealer yesterday and they said they had to replace the front diff on one awd ss and other had to grease something. they allso said they have had a few ss wirth probs with front diff or transfer case. also out of the 6 awd 's I've lowered 3 of them have had squeaking or front diff issues which dealer had fixed (and it was found not related to lowering in any way) service manager said I'm sure a tsb will come out sooner or later but in the meantime if u have any friends that want to buy a tbss make sure its a 2wd lol he said other dealerships service managers in the area have also talked to hik about this because some truck witha few hundred miles have had squealing in the front diff aslo. glad I don't need awd where I'm from nor would I want to seeing the probs associated with them for now

squiggyacfd
05-31-2006, 11:25 AM
If it is the front diff, what will be the end result. Will the sound get louder and louder? Will I just lose power to the front wheels?:confused: :confused:

1BADSS
05-31-2006, 11:37 AM
I just looked at my bill. They don't have a TSB # on the bill.

it says 'customer reports squealing noise coming from front'

' replace left inner output shaft seal as per TSB. Squeaking/Dry'

#F1441 LT Shaft Seals RPL
GM 12471618

15.05 minutes to change. Warranty

1BADSS
05-31-2006, 11:40 AM
Got back from the dealer. They told me that they could not duplicate the sound. They put about 15 miles on it though.
I also told them to fix the fog lights along with the grill. the grill was very loose. when i picked it up they said the brackets were ordered and that they couldnt find a loose grill. when they pulled my truck up, I started looking over it. I was surprised to see that they actually did fix the lower grill, BUT there was an inch long deep scratch on the interior of the bumper where the grill sits. I was pissed.:mad: They obviously made the scratch when they were fixing the grill and said they couldnt find a problem so they wouldnt be responsible for it. He did say they will fix it when i bring it back for the lights. They better fix it!!!!! It sucks needing to leave ur truck at a dealership. who knows whats goin to happen to it.

It only starts once the seal gets hot.Drive it for a while till you get it squealing. Then go to your dealer and drive close to a wall. it'll be loud as hell. That's what I did.

04TBEXT
05-31-2006, 12:01 PM
:confused: I believe the bulletin as descibed in the post by 1BADASS is TSB #03-04-19-002B. This bulletin shows coverage up to year model '05? (pre TBSS). I would presume the differential seals are the same???

JeSSter
05-31-2006, 12:26 PM
04TBEXT

Your post references "1BADASS", I think that is supposed to be "1BADSS", but he might think otherwise....:D

04TBEXT
05-31-2006, 03:49 PM
My error...my apology.

TonyGXP
05-31-2006, 04:00 PM
glad I don't need awd where I'm from nor would I want to seeing the probs associated with them for now

I live in NJ (which the last time I checked was in the north east?) and have a 4WD Envoy XUV & a 2WD SS..I bought the SS in 2WD because since 04' I have used the 4WD 2x...and that was just to justify buying it...even when we got 12", it was mostly gone the next day & even with that much snow, I was able to drive a Crown Vic 17hrs straight down unplowed roads...we just don't get enough Snow here to justify "Needing" 4WD, it's nice but the Negs outway the Positives here..MPG, POWER, More moving parts to break..

trailnablaze
06-01-2006, 12:09 AM
The noise is coming back, and next week after my tune, and CAI I am taking it in. Thanks to this website I have a good idea of what to tell the shop manager to look for. Last week I went in, and they informed me that they have never heard of a new SS haven these problems.