Timing chain tensioner? [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Timing chain tensioner?

99mikegt
12-29-2011, 01:11 PM
Hello, I havent posted on here yet, but i think ive come to the right place.

02 TB LT w/ 103,300

Rattling, whining noise from up front almost sounds like a supercharger. Doesnt seem to be fan clutch because when i put my hand on the front of the motor ( plastic thing that i think is the valve cover) i can feel the vibration under my hand and it goes right along with the noise that im hearing. I brought it to my buddy whos a service writer at chevy and he seemed to think it was the timing chain tensioner.

Does anyone have any input on this? Im definatly a DIY guy, not to mention i dont really have an extra 700 bucks to pay chevy to do it.

Does this sound like its my problem?

TrailblazrI6
12-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Ive never heard of a timing chain tensioner going bad on the I6....

I would remove your serpentine belt, then start the truck. Listen/feel for the noise.

At the very least, this would eliminate any belt driven accessories before you start tearing into something like the timing chain!!!

Another possibility could be the VVT actuator on the passenger side of the engine. I would remove it and inspect that too.

99mikegt
12-29-2011, 01:28 PM
i hope its not the timing chain/tensioner. When i get home from work ill pull the belt out and run the truck. Why would i feel that vibration under the plastic valve cover, though?

TrailblazrI6
12-29-2011, 01:58 PM
i hope its not the timing chain/tensioner. When i get home from work ill pull the belt out and run the truck. Why would i feel that vibration under the plastic valve cover, though?

There are a lot of engine noises/vibrations, etc that can resonate and 'seem' like they are coming from a certain area.

Im just trying to save you money and time down. You should use the process of elimination first to determine this issue.

Of course, after you take the belt off and run it listening and feeling for the noise, if its still there, I would then take apart the VVT actuator on the passenger side of the engine and make sure it didnt break, if it still makes noise, I would be removing the valve cover and checking myself before I bring it anywhere.

Some things can be easily fixed but if you bring it somewhere, you might be convinced you need a new long block. You wouldnt want to be 'penny wise, pound foolish' right? ;)

99mikegt
12-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the help so far. Ill be back on here later tonight and let you know how i made out. Check up on the thread a little later, ok?

Thanks

TrailblazrI6
12-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Waiting....

99mikegt
01-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Sorry i didnt get back right away. Ive been crazy busy - anyway, i pulled the belt off and the noise stopped. Figured it out to be the alternator, all the rest of the pullys sounded fine, and when spinning the alternator you can clearly hear that it sounds like ****. Found an alternator on ebay for 95 bucks and it should be here in a day or two. Thank god it wasnt anything internal:thumbsup:

Thanks for your help

TrailblazrI6
01-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Sorry i didnt get back right away. Ive been crazy busy - anyway, i pulled the belt off and the noise stopped. Figured it out to be the alternator, all the rest of the pullys sounded fine, and when spinning the alternator you can clearly hear that it sounds like ****. Found an alternator on ebay for 95 bucks and it should be here in a day or two. Thank god it wasnt anything internal:thumbsup:

Thanks for your help

Youre welcome! Happy 2012 - you just saved a sh*tload of money :hail:

solo911
02-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Thank god for this site, hey guys am kinda new to this site and for the whol blazer thing, anyway i bought the trail blazer 2009 last model off the chain its an LS as in the must siple mohdest one, and its been 2 years an a desert based weather so any ONE KNOWS WHEN TO CHANGE THE TIMING CHAIN? i feel that the dealer is riping me offfffffffff.:grouphug:

edwin
02-29-2012, 05:57 PM
with a 2009 I dont think you would need a timing chain. This is not normaly a service type item. If you keep your oil changed at reg intervals you should get 200,000 miles out of it without a problem. But why does dealer say u need a new chain.

solo911
03-13-2012, 03:29 AM
well to be honest there is only 2 official GMC dealers here the one i;ve got my car from gives good deals but takes it backe on the maintenance he gave me 5 years free milage manufacturor parts warranty but oh well every oil change at 5000k ( almost ever 12 weeks) it costs 50$ and when i do 10000k he rips off like 150$ so on my last oil change the maintenance guy told be be ready at 60000k they'll do a full review and they usually change ur spakplugs light bulbs and your timing chain so it might go up to 1500$ WTF i know they charge twice as the other dealer but this is just plane rip off
:bonk:

MMechura
03-19-2012, 08:39 PM
DO NOT do the timing chain, there is no need. The job is a PITA very difficult especially if you have 4wd. The oil pan needs to come off, if you have 4wd the entire front end almost needs to be removed including, steering rack, front differential, the front wheel drive shafts and the intermediate shaft, and the 4wd actuator and probably a few other things that i'm forgetting. If there is a CEL relating to the camshaft position it is most likely the sensor or position solenoid and not the timing chain. I have done this and its not fun!!

BossBlazer
11-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Well I've done alot of maintenance since I've bought my Rainier, bought other from a DA. Anyways I replaced the camshaft sensor and also the crankshaft position solenoid and I'm still getting an out of sync code and about 3 weeks ago I had the tranny rebuilt an now I'm noticing a miss around 40-50 MPH I kinda clueless right now it now has 137k an some change on it btw. :bonk: