Front end noise [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Front end noise

no1uno
03-24-2012, 10:40 AM
I have a 2006 trailblazer 4x4, just started hearing a funny noise on the driver side front end. Only makes noise when I turn to the right. left turn no sounds going straight down the road is quiet also. Truck only has 63000 miles on it, anyone else have this problem? Thanks for any info.

Loverotties
03-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Not sure what funny noise?Brake pads going?end links?,wheel bearings?etc.

splandreth
03-24-2012, 12:37 PM
I have a 2006 trailblazer 4x4, just started hearing a funny noise on the driver side front end. Only makes noise when I turn to the right. left turn no sounds going straight down the road is quiet also. Truck only has 63000 miles on it, anyone else have this problem? Thanks for any info.

Perhaps you could describe the noise, and maybe explain the conditions under which you hear it...i.e. slow speeds, fast speeds, when completely stopped, up hill, downhill, etc...

A youtube video is always the most helpful. Without any description to go on, it's hard for anyone here to help you.

korky
03-24-2012, 01:17 PM
I hate to hi jack this thread but i have the same problem when turning in both directions fairly sharp. I get a clunk, clunk, clunk until I straighten out. I have recently replaced the tie rods and wheel bearings. Any ideas? Sorry again but this may be the same problem the author is refering to.

thanks

no1uno
03-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Perhaps you could describe the noise, and maybe explain the conditions under which you hear it...i.e. slow speeds, fast speeds, when completely stopped, up hill, downhill, etc...

A youtube video is always the most helpful. Without any description to go on, it's hard for anyone here to help you.

I hear the noise when i make a slow right turn. Slight clunky sound with a little bit of metal on metal rub. Not metal grinding though. Replaced brake pads and rotors 8000 miles ago. Also you have to make a hard turn to hear the noise.

bleu7
03-24-2012, 09:56 PM
I hear the noise when i make a slow right turn. Slight clunky sound with a little bit of metal on metal rub. Not metal grinding though. Replaced brake pads and rotors 8000 miles ago. Also you have to make a hard turn to hear the noise.

crazy idea, but if you are able to check the front differential fluid, mine had metal on metal rub noise before i destroyed the poor FD....rip, i thought it was something that wouldn't affect any major issues like a cv boot or such, but it wont hurt and its quite easy to check the FD, just search in the forum! :thumbsup:

korky
03-24-2012, 09:59 PM
I will check in the morning but I bet you are right Thanks!!!

korky
03-25-2012, 11:54 AM
I was sort of hoping that was the problem but no I just opened the front diff up and it is full.

splandreth
03-25-2012, 12:14 PM
have you checked your sway bar end links?
do you hear a rattle similar to the sound of keys rattling when you go over bumps at slower speeds?

c good
03-25-2012, 12:42 PM
sounds like C.V. joints starting to go bad. Inspect boots for cracks and look for grease splatter on frame and in wheel well. This loss of grease is usually what causes a C.V. joint to fail. They can fail without loss of grease but it is rare. HTH

no1uno
03-25-2012, 04:33 PM
sounds like C.V. joints starting to go bad. Inspect boots for cracks and look for grease splatter on frame and in wheel well. This loss of grease is usually what causes a C.V. joint to fail. They can fail without loss of grease but it is rare. HTH

Yea I thought of that, but unfortunately or fortunately the boots look good no leaks anywhere in the front end. Also kinda odd for cv's to go at 63000 miles don't you think.

korky
03-26-2012, 09:17 PM
When i was checking my front differential fluid level I noticed some grease in the area of the drain bolt. I thought that it may had been leaking or from my recent rust proofing. Could that be as a result of the CV boot leaking?

Thanks

c good
03-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Grease or differential fluid? Two different animals. If it is amber in color and fluid then it's differential fluid. If it's grey/green and the consistency of grease then it's C.V. grease. Spun out C.V. grease rarely makes it down to the drain plug area. HTH c good

capebreton
03-27-2012, 10:19 AM
May be a motor mount issue. Lots of posts here on similar noise/vibration relating back to bad motor mounts.