Gauges Going Crazy [Archive] - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

: Gauges Going Crazy

Grinch2171
05-09-2012, 05:45 PM
This problem started a couple of weeks ago and is getting worse. A couple of weeks ago I went left for work and all of my gauges went dead but the car stayed running. Oil, battery, fuel, RPM, and the stereo all went dead. I shut off the truck since I was at a stop sign and started it back up and all was well. Then it did it again but this time they came back on by themselves and my security light comes on and stays on. This happened sporadically over the next couple of weeks and now when I first start it up it goes through this cycle a couple of times and then stops. This morning it did it first thing, stopped to get gas and then my truck acted normal. After work I go out to the truck and it won't start like the battery is dead. I waited about 30 seconds while I was trying to figure out what to do and tried to start again and it started right up. Then I went through about 5 cycles of the gauges and radio going dead before it stopped leaving my security light on. Other than that it runs great. It has 105k miles on it. Any ideas on what I should check?

Ray Dockrey
05-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Do a search for ignition switch. When it goes it does exactly what you are describing.

vipergg
05-09-2012, 07:42 PM
Could be the ignition switch going south . Do a search , many other people have this same issue . Could be the switch or the cluster itself which is pretty expensive to get replaced . There are some sites that will repaIR the cluster. I have to admit I have never heard of any other vehicle than this one that has the issues with an ignition switch and the gauges themselves .

Grinch2171
05-09-2012, 07:49 PM
I have been browsing the forums and was thinking the same thing. Is this difficult to do yourself? I'm not a mechanic but I'd rather not pay someone to do this.

chevyputo
05-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Hey its easy just don't f up. Go to radio shack and get a soldering iron for electronics. Order the stepper motors from ebay. When ur done with it you will be the man! And can beat your chest like tarzann:crackup:

Grinch2171
09-12-2012, 09:16 AM
The bizarre behavior with the gauges and starting abruptly went away a few days after making this post and never had a problem until yesterday. I recently got a new vehicle so the TB has been sitting idle for a few weeks. I drove it to work last Friday though and had no problems at all. My wife had to move it yesterday and it refused to start. I get home from work to investigate and the same thing. The engine does not turn over, no audible clicking noises, radio,A/C, and headlights working as are all the gauges. For giggles I took the battery to get tested and it was bad. Put a new one in, cleaned the terminals on the cables and same thing. She refuses to start.

Am I still looking at an ignition switch issue? Looking up parts online (Advance and Autozone) I am getting different results. On some searches I am getting the whole ignition switch and cylinder and then I see just an ignition starter switch like these:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_ignition-starter-switch-bwd_19970443-p?searchTerm=ignition+switch

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Ignition-Switch/2002-Chevrolet-Trailblazer-4WD/_/N-jg9c5Z9n859?itemIdentifier=384915_0_0_

Is that what I need or do I need to replace the whole cylinder? How nervous do I need to be about cracking open the steering column with the air bags?

Grinch2171
09-13-2012, 06:53 AM
Anyone? Trying to avoid having to have it towed to a repair shop.

Grinch2171
09-15-2012, 03:11 PM
I went ahead and replaced the ignition switch, took me about 10 minutes, and it still doesn't turn over. Took off the starter and had it tested at Advance Auto Parts and it came up good.

I am seriously at a loss. The battery is brand new, the ignition switch is brand new, and the starter is good. What else can I do? I really don't want to pay for a tow and a diagnostic and then the repair. Any help would be appreciated?

freddyboy61
09-15-2012, 04:23 PM
Check relay #47 (starter relay) in the front fuse panel, don't know part number.
Can you move the shifter? If so, try going between P and D several times and see if that helps (could be neutral safety switch).
After that you probably will need a diagnosis.

Grinch2171
09-17-2012, 07:48 AM
How do I check the relay?

Grinch2171
09-25-2012, 07:19 AM
Just to update for any others who may experience this issue.

I had the TB towed to a local shop for 50 bucks only to be charged 103 bucks to be told they can't fix it because it is the anti-theft causing the starting issues and I need to take it to the dealer. So looks like I will be getting it towed to the dealer for them to take a look at it and hopefully fix it without robbing me blind. :hissy:

Grinch2171
10-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Just got a call from the dealer and for $992 my PCM will be replaced. Definitely not happy about this but I am backed into a corner and my wife doesn't want me fiddling with it any more.

Grinch2171
10-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Just wanted to provide another fantastic update. They replaced my PCM and then also had to do something with the security stuff. Ended up costing me a little over $1300. The following week after driving it without issues twice it started doing the exact same thing. Called up the dealer and they towed it back in. Got an email from them Friday saying they were able to get it started but it only runs for a minute or two and then dies. So far it is still in the shop. Definitely not happy about this. Luckily I don't need the vehicle and hopefully it gets back before it starts snowing as I am not about to drive my Challenger in the snow.

Tatonka
10-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Look on the bright side, Grinch2171. It could have been a lot worse.