Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

exterior temperature reading stuck

20K views 38 replies 30 participants last post by  potminer 
#1 ·
I just wanted to let y'all know, I had a problem with the exterior temperature reading being stuck on 39 degrees on my climate control unit (I have the automatic climate controls.) I read a thread from another member that suggested to reset the sensor by pressing the "mode, front defrost, and rear defrost" buttons all at the same time. This instantly fixed my problem and prevented me from having to buy a new sensor and installing it. Hope this helps someone else! FYI: When this procedure was used, it reset the temperature to 70 degrees and then it started to drop until it reached the actual outside temperature.

#4 ·
Is there a procedure to reset the sensor for those of us without digital controls? I have this same issue on my temp. on the rear view mirror. I was going to buy the sensor this week sometime but dont want to waste the cash if its fixable.

:thx :hijacked

#16 ·
Replacing temperture sensor.

I just finished replacing the exterior sensor on my 02 Envoy. The biggest pain is finding the thing. Lots of post advise taking the front grill out. Don't bother. Locate the battery, follow the brace that runs across the top of the battery to where it attaches to the radiator frame. Take the black cover off that covers the top of radiator just behind the grille. The sensor is right below the brace runing from the battery. Remove and replace. Hope this helps.

#25 ·
I just finished replacing the exterior sensor on my 02 Envoy. The biggest pain is finding the thing. Lots of post advise taking the front grill out. Don't bother. Locate the battery, follow the brace that runs across the top of the battery to where it attaches to the radiator frame. Take the black cover off that covers the top of radiator just behind the grille. The sensor is right below the brace runing from the battery. Remove and replace. Hope this helps.
Do you have the part number or what kind of senor is this called so that i can purchase it at gmpartdirect.com?

#20 ·
I replaced the external temperature sensor on mine about a year and a half ago and it fixed that exact same problem. (Might be called the ambient temperature sensor I think.) The little plastic piece was less than $20 at CarQuest (with a discount) and took about 3 minutes to unsnap the old one and snap in the new one. It should be located right behind the grill, about in the center if I remember right.

#22 ·
ambient temperature sensor is correct. I bought my TB and the display was stuck on 50, I replaced the sensor(purchased from dealership for like $4) disconnected the negative cable right off the battery and when reconnected, the display worked just fine.......... too easy of a fix

#21 ·
I'll probably just pick one up this weekend and do it myself. The tech at the dealership I bought it from said he replaced it but I do have my doubts. For $20 I'm not gonna drive back up to Palmer where I bought it, it'd probably cost nearly that in fuel plus the aggrevation of having to go back up there on my only weekday off.

#24 ·
This technique doesnt work! Whenever the temp turns 50 I press mode, front and rear defroster and it starts changing the temp to -39 therfore my ac keeps blowing out hot air.

Sometimes when I leave it alone it change back to the orginal temp then changes back. Anybody knows the problem?

#26 ·
As you might see in previous posts, I had the same problem with my g/f's TB. I bought an "External temperature sensor" from a local GM dealer, and installed it. I had to drive around a bit and then do the Rear defrost+Front Defrost+mode thing, and now it works just fine. I believe it only cost around $15, and it only took me removing the grille to install it, so it's about a 5 minute project.

#28 ·
I just Replaced "ambient temp. sensor" It was flaky for the last month or so would fluctuate down to 4 deg. sometimes 50* then fix it's self. I wiggled the plug on it witch seemed to help a few times. finally it stuck on 5deg. & No AC naturally with D. Wife riding along :hissy: stopped at a GM dealer we were driving by they had it in stock on a Sat. afternoon! Amazing! I unplugged it stuck the new one on & hung it on top rad. support for the time being being careful latching hood { now I have to Mod Emblem when I pull the grill:p}, we started driving it was still on 5* & wife was still on " So I just wasted 25 Dollars on Nothing" Rant {I took it out of Joint Account cause she was being a :hissy:} Few miles down the road it reset & haven't had a Prob. yet...with {Climate Control}.... I'm still sure that pesky AC pressure switch is flaking on me {doesn't always kick AC on at restart after going somewhere,has done it since the day I got it... used} to bad I didn't find this site till after warranty was out:rolleyes:.........Part is VIN Specific {I don't Know by how much, Part Guy kept asking me where my Display was, mines in dash} for what it's worth My Build date 1/02...part #15047946 78 07232 on the bag, can't find my reciept right now...:m2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.