Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

CV axle replacement - does it just pull out?

31K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  unclemoney 
#1 ·
My trailblazer developed a vibration in the front end recently, along with a swoosh-swoosh sound most noticeable around left turns. Started analyzing underneath and the large clamp on the inner CV boot is completely gone and there is grease EVERYWHERE lol. Not sure where the clamp went, it was there not long ago when I checked things over :confused: But I think the joint is pretty well shot already, it's original with 130k on it anyway, so I'm just ordering a cardone from Rockauto. Strange how the brand new one is cheaper than the rebuilt one :crazy:

Anyway, I've been searching and reading on how to do the replacement. My Haynes manual goes as far as removing the entire shock assembly and everything, but from what I understand from reading on here that isn't necessary. But everything just says to "remove the half shaft" after freeing it from the hub - am I missing something? Does it just simply pull straight out of the front differential?

#2 ·
I know, "pulls straight out" makes it sound easy, and infact it is technically that easy.

However the axle is usually locked in there fairly well so you will need either a slide hammer with the correct attachment to pull the tripod section out of the diff, or you can pull the oil pan skid plate and use a hammer and drift to hit the back side of the tripod to knock it loose and then pull it out.

Also, I found it's worth engaging 4wd when you're putting the new axle in, seems like it made it easier to get all the splines lined up in there.

#4 ·
if you can get a little bit of room under your truck... when i did mine (which was on a lift) but if you have a smaller crow bar, there is a hole in the frame directly below the attachment point for the half shafts... slide the crow bar up there and 2 yanks they popped right out...

sorry i dont have pics. but that was the easiest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.