Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Adjusting headlights

34K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  scamardo 
#1 ·
I just noticed last night that my wifes Trailblazer seems to have the drivers side headlight aimed really high, you dont notice it really unless you are turning, then it seems to be pointed up in the trees, or at the up stairs of homes that we are passing by. I did some searching and heard of an adjusting screw, but cant seem to find it. Where is it located, and what does it look like? The owners manuel makes no mention of it, or how to change the headlights, other lights yes, but not the headlights? Thanks for any help you can give.

#2 ·
I always thought that the tabs that "lock" the headlights in not only secured them but aligned them as well.

I know, I'm not much help on this but that is all that kept going through my head. :bonk:

#3 ·
I'm still new here so don't know if this would apply but check that both lights are, if fact, on low when low beam is selected and on high when high is selected. I've seen them reversed on older vehicles. Prolly unlikely on ours.

Sounds like maybe the assembly might not be installed correctly? Just thinkin' out loud...

#4 ·
The headlight adjustment is done via a recessed Star/Torx head screw/bolt. If you lift the hood, there will be an opening with a picture of a headlamp molded in the plastic, well at least my Envoy has the emblem molded on it. You'll need a star socket (yes socket, not driver - the screw head is star shaped) to adjust them. Only place I know to buy the tool is in a set of 5 at Auto-Zone.....I think it was the second smallest socket (E10) that fit, but not positive.

#5 ·
8mm Torx nut 1/4" drive socket is what I bought at Autozone for less than $3.

There is a small C alignment marker (2) on each headlight lens. With the vehicle on level surface with front towards a wall 25 ft away, measure the distance from the ground to the center marker, then go out 25 ft and mark that height on the wall. Do the same on each side. Put a piece of string or mark a line between the two marks. Then align the low beam headlights as shown in the picture with the adj nut (1). Only vertical adjustment, no horizontal. No seperate adj for hi beams either.

#8 ·
I went to adjust my headlights the other day and one of the adjustment gears is missing...
the white one you put the socket on was still there, but the black one which was attached (glued?) to the metal rod coming out of the headlight assembly was gone...

Anyone have any idea where I could find one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.