Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How much oil does you trailvoy take.

49K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  crash4me 
#1 ·
OK I got a question for all of you guys and/or girls. I always change my oil in my vehicles. This is the problem I'm running into. The book calls for 7 quarts. If I put 7 quarts in mine it i WAY over the full line....and that is with a brand new high capacity oil filter with every change. With the filter I use it Should be like 7 1/4 quarts. I use 6 and its dead on the full line....... Any one got input?

#5 ·
7 Quarts is what the 4.2L takes...Here are a few things to consider when performing an oil change:

-Change the oil after the engine has been warmed up
-let the oil drain out of the engine for at least 15 minutes
-make sure the engine is level or leaning towards the drain plug when draining
-as a suggestion, pre-fill the new oil filter with oil (usually 3/8-1/2 quart)
-once full, check the oil after you start the engine and allow the oil pressure to increase

:D

#21 ·
:iagree: Plus, make sure you wait about 5 min. after you shut the truck off so all the oil can drain back down from the top of the engine.

My TB LTZ has 134,000 miles, and only use synthetic, but as far as a lot of sludge build-up taking up space in the pan??.....I guess it's possible.

I have always changed my own oil, and always use 7 Qts. total....it ends up just about dead even on the full mark on the dipstick.

Hope this helps :coffee

#7 ·
How many miles are on your engine? I ask cause I have seen where heavy sludge build up in the bottom and sides of the pan will cause this false reading. Kind of like in the old days when people used to put a brick in thier toilet tanks to use let water. You dont have a brick on there do you? :D

#8 ·
I was going to suggest the same thing. Back in college I had a Nissan Sentra that was supposed to take 4 quarts, but at every oil change I would ALWAYS be over on the stick. Just under 3 quarts would fill it. After the engine locked up I dropped the oil pan, and imagine my surprise when I found about 2inches of sludge on the bottom. Lesson learned. :dielaugh:

#17 ·
Truck has 50k on it and I have been running full Synthetic in it since 25k. I change it on a concrete patio with near perfect level. The oil is warm to very warm. And I do the prefill oil filter. I also let it drip for at least 30-45 mins. So I talked to a master GM tech today and he said it is very normal on the trailblazer, envoys, Rainier's, that it sometimes takes only 6 quarts because the 4.2L usually keep alot of oil in the cam and it would eventually drain all out if you just let it drip. He told me that sometimes it takes mins and sometimes hours (depends on miles on motor, wear and tear on motor, etc.)

#19 ·
Every time I change the oil on my cars, I let it drain overnight. Last time, I let the oil drain for 3 days (was out of town and drove my other car) :D Probably why Im always adding 7.25+ qts each oil change. Full drainage man... its the new trend :crazy::dielaugh:

#18 ·
That sounds better then sludge lol

When I do it: The oil is warm and the truck is on a lift (might not be perfectly level but its real close). After removing the drain plug and the oil filter, It drains while I adjust the tire pressures, rotate the tires, and peek at the brakes......a good 10 minutes there....maybe next service Ill let it drain for a more extended period of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.