Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Anything I need to know before replacing ABS sensor?

8K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  palafoja 
#1 ·
Was changing lower ball joints and went to disconnect the ABS sensor and it snapped right off the hub. Yes...I now know to just unplug it near the frame and keep it plugged into the hub. I'm so frustrated that I did this. Anyway, so much for saving myself $$...I now have a $100 part to buy.

Just wondering it it's plug and play into the hub and that's it.

#3 ·
Yes, It came out. There's still a little of the black plastic down in there, but I think I can get it out. I'm so mad that I did that I can't work on it right now. I need to calm down a bit and will head out later. We were going to take the TB on a trip this week, but will most likely rent something now.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I guess it's a little funny. Try to save some money and end up spending more. Oh well. I already ordered the part from Advance Auto...will hopefully be here tomorrow, but maybe Tuesday.

#7 ·
I have a scheduled appt. tomorrow morning for an alignment. If I cap over the sensor cavity with the broken sensor (so no dust gets in the hub) can I drive it without a functioning sensor? The new sensor may not get in until tomorrow or Tuesday.

#9 ·
Ok, replaced the sensor today and finished installing the lower ball joint. Went to take it to the shop for alignment and when I get to about 1-2 mph, almost to a stop, the ABS flutters a bit. Also, my wife was wondering why I was fluttering the brakes everytime I went over a bump (she was driving behind me). Of course, I wasn't, so I'm not sure what's up there.

There are not ABS lights on and everything else seems fine. Any ideas? Should I try resetting the ABS?

#10 ·
I'm not sure how far you can go without a scan tool. The only things that you can check is that the sensor is in properly and the tone wheel is in good shape. I have ran into tone wheels breaking and doing exactly what you are experiencing.

Other then that it will probably come down to someone getting into the abs module and reading the vss readings and taking it from there.

#11 ·
Thanks for the response. It irks me as everything was working fine until I broke it. I may pull the sensor, clean it, and re-insert. There should be nothing wrong with the hub or ABS system...it was working fine until I decided to break the sensor.

#13 · (Edited)
Lower ball joints. I went to pull the hub off after taking the 3 bolts off the back. I figured it would be easier to just pull the sensor from the hub.
:duh::duh::duh::duh::duh:
It snapped off the hub. The part the inserts broke off cleanly and I was able to get it out. No debris left behind. Ok, the new sensor did not go all the way in. I saw there was a little rust at the top of the cavity so I stuffed a small piece of tissue down inside so that no dust would get in and then cleaned the rust off the top.

I then took a cotton swab and got the rust dust out and then pulled the tissue out. I peered down inside and nothing seemed to have gotten in.

The sensor then seemed to fit better. maybe I need to do it all over again. Not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.