Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Changed Rear Pads and Rotors - Now No Rear Brakes

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Loverotties 
#1 ·
Okay so I have done my rear brakes before with no issue, but this time I ran into some problems.

Last time I just pushed the pistons back with a C clamp and had no problems.

This time I had read that I needed to open the bleeder valve so that dirty fluid wasn't forced back through the ABS system or something. I opened the valve and compressed the pistons then sealed the valve back once they were fully compressed. I drove around the next day and then noticed the rotors still had the factory texture to them, so I assume they are not making contact. The caliper makes some contact because when one wheel is off the ground I can turn it a bit until the brake is applied.

I have bleed the brakes but did not go in the correct order, I did the left rear first then the right rear. I have driven it a few days like this... do I just need to bleed them again or is there some other issue?

Also, don't know if it's related, but I have the ABS issue as well. It comes up with something about a solenoid valve. I cleaned the ground for the controller under the driver door but that didn't resolve the issue.

See less See more
#2 ·
You need to suck out all the old fluid from the master cylinder,using a turkey baster. Then refill the resivoir with clean fluid and rebleed your brakes in the propeer order,rt rear,left rear,rt frt,lft frt. Bleed each caliper until clean fluid flows out ,make sure you keep the master full during this procedure. The clean fluid should free up valves if they aren't to badly clogged, if not you will prob have to have your ABS serviced by a shop.
Brake fluid should be changed about every two years to keep your system clean,because it absorbs moisture, which forms in the calipers from the heat of braking.
I bleed my brakes once a year with clean fluid and anytime I do a brake job I replace all the old with new fluid and bleed the brakes. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.