Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Broken Pieces of Spark Plug

4K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  cdog2368 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone this is my first thread to the forum. I've searched everywhere but it seems my problem is a little different than anyone else with issues regarding broken spark plugs. First off I'm a proud owner of an '06 trailblazer ls ext. It already had over 100,000 miles and there is no telling if its ever had a tune up. Due to Michigan weather the engine was running rough and it also died on me while driving partially due to the bad battery that came with the truck. I've always had problems with Earl batteries. I decided it was time for tuneup this is actually the first time I've done one myself. I have an i6 vortec, an excellent engine in my opinion. I was removing spark plug #5 when pieces from the plug broke off and feel deep into the valve cover. It was only the plastic portion that connect to the wire. Me being a genius say to myself well its only plastic installs new plug and starts engine. Big no no and still engine misfires then stalls out. Because of my genius move thinking shielded plastic will burn up in heat not knowing i could have damaged my engine my next move is to take apart the valve cover to see if i can remove any of it and try again. But any suggestions before i go through a lengthy torture with this repair? I think i may give up and have it taken to a shop and just cough up 300 as a loss....:worried:

Update: I read in another forum that debris will often find its way into the oil pan drain do i may be safe for my little screw up. The debris was plastic not metal so i may have lucked up. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

See less See more
#3 ·
You sure it was plastic and not ceramic?
It may have in fact been ceramic, idk what came overt me saying plastic, really hadn't been my week. But i finally did put the cover back on the engine (well the coil pack, resonator, and throttle body) only too find it i could get no spark for the truck to start. After all the cold weather my guess is too much moisture in engine, another screw up for not covering everything for last couple weeks.

#4 ·
I too had one break apart while trying to remove it recently. Luckily the plug hadn't been completely removed yet. I took the air hose and was able to blow all of the ceramic chunks outta there. I guess that's why some of those spark plug sockets have that rubber inside :)

Hopefully you can get some tips here on what to do next.

#5 · (Edited)
Well here's the update. I finally took it to a shop and they said i need a new motor. I almost told them to go to hell. I would have settled more for an electrical problem. But i could be wrong. But i do know i haven't had any problem with my truck until now. I just had my ignition switch replaced less than 6 months ago and they replace it again. I think i just got scammed $475. Then they tried to scam me again out of another $2800. I'll take my broken truck else where to get a second opinion. But any thoughts any one? I'll continue too research. thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.