Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Help! Fan Belt Tensioner (Adjustment)

19K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  smmoore2 
#1 ·
Hi to all here I am new and love the help this site has provided me in my recent tune up!

Unfortunately, the drive belt tensioner got away from when removing the fan belt and is loose. I have tried messing with the bolt but cant seem to make it tighten up again. I am sure there is method without me having to take it to a shop. Please help! I cant find anything relevant to my post.

#3 ·
I did use a 3/8 ratchet as it was all that I had at the time and loosened the belt to remove the alternator. But after replacing the alternator the belt is much looser than before. I tried adjusting the tensioner with the bolt next to the 3/8 slot for the breaker bar. But I am unsure of what I am doing and have tried to find several resources over the internet with nothing satisfying this question. I dont see how I can the belt snugged to the wheels again!

#7 ·
I took the tensioner all the way off. should I loosen the bolt and use a breaker bar to tighten it making sure it is still springy? If it isn't springy maybe I got it in the wrong slot where it rides. Any help would be appreciated.
You do not remove any bolt,as in number 8 on roadie's pics.you use the 3/8 slot for the breaker bar,and its on a spring,just spring it down and let off of it when the belt is on,You probably need to get the spring back in the seat where it belongs to get it to work now,

#9 · (Edited)
lol i just saw this, did you put the wrong belt on? some have 150amp alternators some have 130amp i believe or 180. they are different sizes. you might have put the wrong one on.
:no: The difference is the size of the power steering pulley.

XL's and EXT's have a smaller pulley and shorter belt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.