Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Oil life System reset?

14K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  rbarrios 
#1 ·
I am new to the forum and would like to say hello to everyone. I have found this site to be the most helpfull and informative than any other site.

I have a 02 Envoy and have had it a little over a year and a half. I have never been able to get my oil life system to reset when I change my oil. The light on the dash only lights up when you first turn on the vehicle...when the computer is going through the systems check. But recently It has been staying on for the first couple minutes of the trip then goes out. I know my oil is good and isn't that old!
Putting the key in "RUN" with the engine off, and pressing the gas pedal 3 times quickly, But I never get a flash on the gauges telling me that it has reset.
Have you guys had any similar problems? Doesn't seem like this would be something that I could fix myself.

#4 ·
i have a hard time also resetting.
seems some people have it easy, some hard.
Ive sat there and tried to reset like mad, eventually it does, but I have never seen my dash light flash after Ive reset it.
Ive tried the turn key and step 3 times within 5 seconds... ive tried it fast, slow, and while rubbing my belly.....
Ive even tried 4 steps 5 steps, out of desperation ive tried door closed, door open, and Ive never really known which one resets it. as I continually try over and over until the light doesnt come on anymore.
Ive had one guy- a GM tech at a dealer say , that in 03, theyd take turns trying to reset it on a vehicle... one guy would get tired and the next one would take a stab at it.
Next time mine comes on- im going to try my best to try the procedure slowly and wait 5 seconds to see if the light flashes to show it was rest...

#5 ·
The only time I have had this work on my wife's 02' was with the door closed, pressing slowly all the way to the floor 3 times in 5 seconds and then waiting 20-30 seconds for the oil light to flash before turning off the key. It took me several oil changes to get to this combo but it now works every time the first time.

#7 ·
Thanks alot! I'll try all those things. I never did wait too long after. I always figured that it would be instantainious. I have always done my own oil changes and always tried to reset it, but I never had a problem where the light would come on and stay on.

Thanks for your help!

#9 ·
I just reset my Fiance's 2006 Ascender. Put to run, pressed gas pedal 3x's, and the light flashed 3 times, and that was it. It was funny cause in the manual, it doesn't say that it will flash, so I wasn't expecting anything, but it was reassuring when it did :D .

#10 ·
I agree, only thing I would add is on the third time pressing the pedal hold it to the floor then the light should blink and I even have a bell ding once or twice then its all reset.

#12 ·
had about 6-7000 miles on oil- decided to change it (eventhough Life monittor had not come on yet).
Were driving from LA to Guadalajara Mexico- so I put new oil in, and attempted to reset oil life monitor. No go.
Never seen that light flash. Ill just change the oil when I return- should be a good 6000 miles I think....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.