Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

How many XUV's are left ???

25K views 88 replies 42 participants last post by  Ponvoy 
#1 ·
It been some time since i have been on the forums... I want to see who is still around or who is new and has the XUV's. Since most of the forums are dedicated to specific things ... us oddballs have issues that arise that are totally unique to the XUV ... SO I AM SEEKING ALL THOSE ODDBALL PPL! ... show me that the xuv's are still alive and kicking out there ..

#29 ·
my story

Nice story, mine is a little more depressing, kind of. I used to drive a 2001 Trans Am convertible. Met this really nice girl, had kid, got rid of Trans Am:sadcry: That’s pretty much it in a nutshell. She said it wasn't a family car, But we ended up getting married and now have 2 great kids that destroy the back seats of the XUV :duh:

The Red Jewel color looks a lot like the Magnetic Red I have. I love my color. I other choice I had was Silver Green metallic.

I looked in my 2004 and 2005 Envoy brochures and I didn't see Red Jewel being offered as a color. I had to pay $165 more for the Magnetic Red option.

#32 · (Edited)
The Red Jewel color looks a lot like the Magnetic Red I have. I love my color.

I looked in my 2004 and 2005 Envoy brochures and I didn't see Red Jewel being offered as a color. I had to pay $165 more for the Magnetic Red option.
Im thinking they are the same and just GMC's naming of the color. Red Jewel was also an additional fee on the TB's

You making it out to Carlisle in August?
I usually dont need much of an excuse for a roadtrip - whats going on out there in Aug ?

Just curious how well it towed the Buick? Did you have weight distribution? What was the weight of the car and trailer?
Well, that tow in the picture on the U-haul trailer needs a bit more of the story told ...

... When I found my XUV, it was up in Chicago. As chance would have it the SportWagon was up there too - a friend found it for me and was storing it there until A) I cleared room in the garage for it, B) found a way to get it down to Long Island, and C) figured a way to get it past the wife :suicide:

So She heads out of town for a few days, I fly up to Chicago and buy the XUV ... within 4 miles of taking possession of it Im at U-Haul hooking up a trailer ... and within a few more hours Im on my way on a ~900 mile roadtrip towing the SportWagon home :weird:

To answer the Q, the XUV did wonderfully but the U-Haul trailer was way too short and I couldn't get enough tongue weight on the hitch to get it to pull well above 50-53 mph. made for a Looooong trip.

Since then, I've trailered both the wagon and my '69 GS400 convert. several times and its a non-issue for my XUV. Once was without Load levelers/sway control and it did fine but I wouldn't recommend it as you are much safer with them, its just that the trailer with that setup became unavailable to me and the one without the setup was offered last minute so I took a chance instead of cancelling the trip. I was very careful on how I loaded the car on the trailer in relation to tongue weight and front end lift - with the car postitioned just right and the load levelling suspension doing its thing, It was a dead straight and true pull at 65mph - but, like I said, I would have much preferred to have had the weight distribution and sway control for added safety. with those, I could have loaded the car a bit more foward for more tongue weight without the front end rise and the air susp. would not have been over taxed.

I have installed a large tranny cooler and a very good electric brake controller ... with the V8 and the 3.73's the truck pulls very well. Guestimated weight of wagon/car plus trailer is ~6600#. I had a friend with me on one trip who has ALOT more towing experience than I do and he couldn't believe how well the XUV performed the task. Last year I was in a caravan with several others headed out to a Buick show and they all either had Diesel dually's and big box enclosed trailers or 1500 suburbans or tahoes with open trailers. Personally, I think the XUV was better at towing the open trailers than the tahoe's due to its much longer wheelbase ... and the 5.3l outpulled the older 2 suburbans - one (much older) with a 350/700r4 and one a 5.7 vortec.

I only tow heavy like this 2 or 3 times a year - If it was a more frequent thing I think I'd look into a 2500 series Suburban but then I'd have to lose the XUV which I feel would be a bad trade off on a everyday vehicle.

... Wife.com will only put up with soo many toys afterall

#30 · (Edited)
Im with you both, I love my XUV. I just surpassed 100k miles, and I have intentions of going another 100k.

Some mods here and there over the years, and a few more to go and ill be happy.

Alan,That was one heck of a deal though 16K :thumbsup:

You making it out to Carlisle in August?

#34 · (Edited)
jeez, thats a tough one to answer. I'd definately agree that the 5.3 and 3.73's will handle the weight fine but I wouldn't even think trying it without trailer brakes ... and as you mention the height of the tractor's windscreen is going to make it like you're towing a brick wall so I'd want sway control and definatley reccommend the weight distribution.

Like I said, without the WD, it was a balancing act to get enough tongue weight (moving car foward) but not overloading the air suspension and getting too much rise in the front as that too can be very dangerous for both steering and braking.

If you could pop the windscreen(s) out and find a dual axle/dual brake trailer with WD and sway, I'd be more inclined to say go for it - but then you'd need an electric brake controller (or a trailer with surge brakes) and at 400 miles, I'd also recommend a tranny cooler.

... 400 miles is not a quick trip and could turn into a long nightmare. Always better safe and cautious when towing - for you and the other people on the road. When I borrowed the trailer without the WD and sway, I spent quite a few hours getting the car positioned right and testing on local roads before I deemed it safe and headed out on the long trip

#35 ·
Thanks for the info. I do have a brake controller now (I have brakes on my 5x12) so that base is covered. I've been thinking about a U-haul trailer since they have the surge brakes. I'm also thinking about getting a PCMforless trans cooler kit and installing it.

#37 ·
Thanks - I'll definately check if it fits into the schedule wife.com has planned for this summer :crazy:

Since this thread has the attention of us XUV stepchildren, I offered some tech data before about the midgate/tailgate from a GeeEmm training document that I scanned and put into PDF - if any of you would like it (and you should ...) send me an Email with XUV in the subject

send to

alan AT ITNNETWORKS D0t C0m

and I'd be happy to foward it to you

#38 ·
XUV in Ohio

I have a 2005 Carbon Metallic XUV V8 SLT 4WD in Ohio. Great vehicle! Purchased in 2008 with 32k miles as a former lease, currently has 98k and have had no issues. All routine maintenance. We use it daily around town, long distance road trips, towing trailers and camper, hauling dogs, trips to Lowes, etc... I made a custom box for the cargo for storage and a dog ramp to pull down. I love the amount of room in this thing too, you just can't fill it up. I made a custom roof rack clip so I can fit a Thule roof rack to it for a boat. This thing is the Swiss Army Knife of SUV's. It'll do anything you ask of it.

And yes, I do sometimes use the retractable roof. Not often, but when I need it, I'm glad it's there.

Attachments

#39 ·
i love seeing the practical applications for our XUV's ... mine is pretty much just one big shiny toy right now as i only put 7k a year on her ...

only troubles i ever had was that tailgate .... seems like everytime i fixed one thing another went ... so i just loaded up the back with subs and never opened it up again ... lol

#41 ·
Sorry for the late reply ...

... unless you can convince Wife.Com that she would rather spend her birthday at Carlisle instead of whatever she has planned for me that weekend it looks like a No-Go for me

I will however be towing the car in my Avitar around 1400 miles with the XUV/Tug the weekend prior to that.

Have fun and Please take some pictures !! It would be neat to see more than one (mine) once in a while :D

#46 ·
I love my Envoy XUV and have never had any issues with it until now. It is 2004. I lowered my midgate window and now can't get it back up. Anyone have any ideas?
When mine had ~40000 miles on it i had to replace the midgate regulator assembly. It started to make a clicking noise when moving and then it just stopped working. The motor stays fin but the pullys that the cable run on crack and the cable falls off. You also have to watch out when you order the midgate regualtor assemby because the parts guys don't generaly know the XUV and they will send you and engate regulator instead.

#47 ·
XUV quest (finding a mate to marry my Denali)

On the hunt for an XUV. I have owned a XL Denali for about 5 years. I am now in a business that I need a truck sometimes, and might need to trasport a skid (pallet) from time to time. I was so relieved that the XUV would hold one, I am not a pick up guy... I have twins and like to take their friends places a great deal. Anyway- XUV's are getting harder to find, and there are still some people that are discovering the value of this versatile truck. Bottom line, I think you will see nation values stay steady and depreciate less than other trucks/suvs of 04&05. I am near Indianapolis and looking to go to Cincy and Shy town to look at a couple. My friends think I am nuts for trading my 02 BMW 745i straight up for an XUV. I still beleive in these things even though I had to replace a tranny at only 90k :sadcry: Do NOT wait until 100,000 to service it as called for, I will do it every 50k from now on, regardless of what the manual says. Too bad it wasn't an 07, it would have been covered! Anyway, if anyone knows of a nice XUV in the midwest that is a good value buy, please let me know. Trying to sell the BMW, but I would rather just trade it. Also- do you think XUV owners should order backup replacement parts for the know tail gate and window motor issues, or will they be in stock for years to come?

#52 ·
On the hunt for an XUV. I have owned a XL Denali for about 5 years. I am now in a business that I need a truck sometimes, and might need to trasport a skid (pallet) from time to time. I was so relieved that the XUV would hold one, I am not a pick up guy... I have twins and like to take their friends places a great deal. Anyway- XUV's are getting harder to find, and there are still some people that are discovering the value of this versatile truck. Bottom line, I think you will see nation values stay steady and depreciate less than other trucks/suvs of 04&05. I am near Indianapolis and looking to go to Cincy and Shy town to look at a couple. My friends think I am nuts for trading my 02 BMW 745i straight up for an XUV. I still beleive in these things even though I had to replace a tranny at only 90k :sadcry: Do NOT wait until 100,000 to service it as called for, I will do it every 50k from now on, regardless of what the manual says. Too bad it wasn't an 07, it would have been covered! Anyway, if anyone knows of a nice XUV in the midwest that is a good value buy, please let me know. Trying to sell the BMW, but I would rather just trade it. Also- do you think XUV owners should order backup replacement parts for the know tail gate and window motor issues, or will they be in stock for years to come?
My old one is getting ready to be sold at Fox Timonium Chevrolet in Maryland. 2004 Blue 4.2 4x4 75000 miles Not the midwest though.:cry:

#48 ·
2004 xuv

I bought a brand new XUV in 2004. Just went over 100K miles and have loved every one of them. Having a few issues now though with the tailgate window regulator. A couple years back my midgate window regulator broke and I replaced it. Had no problem finding one on Ebay. Now my tailgate window regulator is broken and I can't seem to find one anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas?

#49 ·
I bought a brand new XUV in 2004. Just went over 100K miles and have loved every one of them. Having a few issues now though with the tailgate window regulator. A couple years back my midgate window regulator broke and I replaced it. Had no problem finding one on Ebay. Now my tailgate window regulator is broken and I can't seem to find one anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas?
RockAuto.com has one, AC-Delco PN 19210376 for $100 :thumbsup:

#50 ·
The XUV was my first choice when I was truck shopping a few months ago.

There are so few for sale out there, that I couldn't find one that I liked that was also within my budget.

All of my friends make fun of it, saying that it looks like a souped up hearse. I don't care; I love em, and think that they're ingenious.

If anyone on here is ever interested in a trade, I would definitely consider it.

#51 ·
I just traded mine in on a 2011 Silverado tonight, I miss it already. It was the best thought out truck I owned, but I needed more truck and it was just before 75000 miles and I got good money for it. I really wish GM would have properly marketed it so more would have been made.

#55 ·
updating mine a bit..

Still own it. Still love it.. HATE THE RETARD THAT BROKE INTO IT!!!

Came out of work Thursday, Locked and fenced in parking lot, been there for 2 years, never had anything happen to my car, or anyone elses. But my GPS, and cell phone chargers (WTF?, Seriously?), were aparently meant to be owned by someone else.. F--KTARDS! Glass everywhere in the truck. Police came to take a report, and told me that they dont take reports unless the items stolen are of a value greater than 1000 dollars. Well thats about useless to me..

So far I am in to it for 275 bucks for a glass replacement, 417 bucks for a replacment GPS, 34 bucks for 2 cell phone charges, and 150 for a complete car detail..

#59 ·
One more here

I HAVE MY 04 XUV BOUGHT IN 07 AND DEFINITIVELY LOVE IT, A FEW ISSUES BUT NOTHING REALLY SERIOUS, BTW I HAD TO ELIMINATE THE "DOOR OPENING" MODE ON TAILGATE BECAUSE SWITCH WAS GIVING ME TROUBLE SU I UNPLUGGED IT AND JUST HAVE THE "TRUCK MODE" FUNCTIONAL BUT IM OK WITH THAT, MY MIDDLE GATE SOMEHOW IS BROKEN, THE GLASS IS THERE BUT I USED 2 PIECES OF WOOD TO HOLD IT ON CLOSED POSITION I WISH I COULD TAKE APART AND SEE WHAT I CAN DO TO FIX BUT THERES NO INFO BOUT OUR XUV'S HERE :cry: BUT I REALLY LIKE MY XUV WOULDN'T GIVE IT UP I HAVE 143,000 AND RUNNING NICE, SMOOTH, STRONG AND PERFECT... :raspberry

#60 · (Edited)
I WISH I COULD TAKE APART AND SEE WHAT I CAN DO TO FIX BUT THERES NO INFO BOUT OUR XUV'S HERE :cry:
Send me an Email and I will foward you several PDF's pertaining to the midgate and endgate

ALAN A T ITNNETW0RKS D0T C0M

... of course replacing at and Dot with appropriate symbols

----------------------

OK, I was thinking the other day how they created our lovely trucks to be the "Workhorse" version of the TrailVoy. Only problem is there is ZERO storage places to put stuff - like ...

* Hitch Receiver
* Ratchet Straps
* A "real" Jack (I carry a compact floor jack and at least one jackstand in all vehicles)

95% of the time I roll with the back seats folded up and the mid-gate down ... they gave us this great cavernous space but NOWEHERE to put ANYTHING !!

Im actually thinking of getting a spare set of our rubbermaid back interior panels from a junk yard and modding the hell out of them for storage

... can't even store a chapstick in the back for goodness sakes :suicide:

#61 ·
After being in hiding for quite some time , i am glad to see XUV's still living , mine is also still going strong for one of the first ones built. i have to upload some new pics , the ones i have on here are so old !!! lol

#63 ·
Mine has about 90k now. Needs a new midgate window regulator but I have 2 car seats in there anyway so no big deal. Could use a new muffler an just replaced the front hubs yesterday. All in all not too bad. I am thinking of selling it soon though. Need something with more passenger capacity... :worried:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.