Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Factory radio Unlock Code

17K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bromanjr 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm looking to install an aftermarket iPod adapter unit to my GM / OEM headunit (Uses band button and plugs into XM/Sirius harness) this weekend. Should I need to worry at all about an unlock code if anything is disconneted (I.E Power, factory harness, etc.)? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance!

#3 ·
So a loss of power or disconnection of wiring harness will not trigger a prompt for code? I'm doing the install on Sunday and do not want to have to make an emergency to to the dealer on Monday if this can be avoided.

Thanks!

#4 ·
You won't have an issue with the radio security.

The design of the Radio security is that when the radio is new (or has been cleared) it will pick up a portion of the VIN # from the vehicle BCM and store it for the future. This is similar to re-programming a used radio with a Tech II where a stored VIN portion is erased and then replaced with the current vehicle VIN portion. I have personally had a replacement radio for a different GM vehicle "cleared" by a Delco radio Depot (with proof of purchase) The radio then behaved like a new radio and copied the proper VIN portion when it was connected and turned on the first time.

When the vehicle is started, the radio and BCM compare the portion of the VIN that is significant, if it matches, the radio works. If you put a previously used radio (already has a VIN remembered) into a different vehicle, the VIN portion will not match and the radio shows "Theft Locked" (or something similar to this).

This type of security works very well and never locks your radio while installed in your vehicle, even after a dead battery, no codes to write down or translate.

Of course a malfunction in the components of the TheftLock system can cause a myriad of symptoms and the radio being locked may be one of them.

My :m2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.