Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Strange noise comming from front end

6K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  pauln1 
#1 ·
It only does this sometimes...

when I make a hard left at lower speeds and turn the wheel all the way (like the kind of manuver you would make in a crowded parking lot), I notice a rubbing sound comming from the front right wheel. I have rulled out rubbing....so now I can't figure out what it is.

It is very noticable, but only if I am making a quick turn. If I start moving after I turn the wheel, there is no sound. it's odd because it is only on left turns and it is the right wheel.

Is there a way that I can quiet this down without consulting a mechanic? I sure hope it isn't a major suspension problem. A friend of mine's 02 Envoy does the same thing.....

#2 ·
It could be a problem with the sway bar links in the front end, the GM ones are pretty crappy, I got mine replaced with some aftermarket ones recommended by my Mechanic, they are much stronger, but they were about $110 a side instead of the GM $60 per side.

-=Chipper=-

#8 ·
I am new to the forum, I've only had my '06 TB LS for a couple of weeks ... anyway, when I make the turn into my apartment parking lot I hear a rubbing noise also (from the front drivers side tire), but mine is when I'm turning right... Its been driving me crazy and I don't want to take it to the dealer... I've also ruled out rubbing because there is no wear or marking visible.

Thanks in advance guys, this forum has been my number1 source for all my TB needs and I hope in the future I can contribute my experiences. -Matt

[Also, there are no aftermarket parts or upgrades yet, its still all stock]

#10 ·
mine is 4wd...and i just used it quite extensively due to lots of snow & a ski trip to even more snow.

also, i know the factory sway bar links are crap, but isn't the noise that comes from them more of a "rattle" and not a "clunking & squeaking" sound (yes, there is both)??? i have the latter sounds, and it only happens when i turn hard left AND hit a bump of some sort, or turn into my driveway (quite steep).

this problem is also alleviated when i dont turn the wheel all the way...if i turn it about 1-2 inches shorter, i hear no sounds at all...sounds like a joke i heard once..."hey, doctor, it hurts when i do this...doctor says, 'don't do that.'"

#11 ·
this problem is also alleviated when i dont turn the wheel all the way...if i turn it about 1-2 inches shorter, i hear no sounds at all...sounds like a joke i heard once..."hey, doctor, it hurts when i do this...doctor says, 'don't do that.'"
As with all cars and trucks you should avoid turning the wheel all the way to the stop. This puts a large amount of stress on the power steering pump and can cause damage to it or at least a slipping belt.

your squeaking sound could be the PS pump or belt and the clunking sound could very well be a bad end link.

#12 ·
Mine is 4wd also, but I'm in 2wd when I hear the noise... my turn is steep also, but like I said its a right hand turn, and its not that sharp.

I have seen people mention the sway bar link ends to be the problem, my TB still has some 3yr/36k warranty left so do you think if I make the trip to the dealer they can replace those link ends?

Thanks -Matt

#13 ·
You all might want to check your front swaybar and look for any signs of rubbing. I am pretty sure that people have had their tires rub against the swaybar due to the steering stop being made wrong, or to short/small. I think that there might be a TSB on it also. Just try not to turn the steering wheel all the way until it stops, that should help. :undecided

#14 ·
:hissy: :hissy: so I just picked up my TB from the dealer, who of course said nothing was wrong with it ... when I showed the mechanic the very very loose link end on the sway bar he said "oh thats normal, it supposed to move, I wouldn't worry about it"

so what do I do, how can I get this damn noise to go away ... there are no signs of rubbing anywhere ... I guess I'll just make another appointment and get someone to ride with me so I can show them the noise ....

sorry, had to vent ... :x

#15 ·
Have the dealer clean and lube the steering stops. My Crown Vic did this so every other oil change I had the dealer do this - no noise. I paid the Chevy dealer $120 and they couldn't duplicate it so I asked the tech to come outside with me, took him in the lot, hard left, hard right, did you hear that?! Oh, no I didn't, well there it is now what do you think? I suggested the steering stops based on my experience with another vehicle. Got the oil changed Tuesday, stops lubed and noise is gone. Now if they can just find the coolant smell...!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.