Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

2wd vs. 4wd

8K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  jkust 
#1 ·
I just purchased a certified 07 Envoy SLT 2WD. It was a last minute purchase as my previous car was totaled. I live in the Chicago area- I am kinda kicking myself for not searching more for a 4wd.
I have never really needed a 4wd- not even in the most recent blizzard.
For those 2wd owners- how does it do in the snow? Towing? etc

#2 · (Edited)
I never had any issues driving my 2wd TB in snow. I stayed on main roads and used good sense about where to drive. That said, I was in Virginia. We had a few good storms, a couple of ice storms, but NOTHING like what I have driven through in Chicago. I did however drive my civic through some pretty good Chicago storms without any problems either. I think it comes down to how experienced you are are.

I remember the first snow my TB saw. The wife and I were leaving Norfolk heading for Miami for Christmas. We had about 8 inches of snow and ice crap on the ground. The TB wasn't having any problems.... save one. The window wash tank had frozen solid! You can imagine how cold it has to be to freeze that tank solid. For the first hour I had to stop every 10 minutes and wish the windshield by hand. It began to thaw after about 3 or 4 hours of driving, which was a couple hundred mile south, into warmer temps. :cool:

#10 ·
If by chance you don't have a G80 you're not completely out of luck. Since you have an EXT you have the same rear axle as a full sized truck, the 8.6" 10 bolt.

This means you could use this:

http://www.justdifferentials.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=24_45_273&products_id=3716

The installs on those are easily done in your driveway with simple hand tools. You'll have a fully locked rear axle that releases when you need to turn. That will help get you moving in the snow, and the Stabilitrak will help you continue to move in the direction you originally intended. :)

#4 · (Edited)
If I recall correctly, 07+ models come standard with Stabilitrak, which combines ABS, Traction Control and Stability Control in its functionality. That should get you through most on-road winter driving situations just fine, you just need to take time, go easy and let the electronics do their thing. When GM developed Stabilitrak, for demonstration purposes they took two nearly identical Yukons, one a 4x4 w/o Stabilitrack and another a rwd unit with Stabilitrak and guess which one maneuvered the snow & ice covered course better? ..... If you guessed the 4x4, you'd be wrong!

#6 ·
Some of the stabilitrak comparison videos are amazing. Total catastrophe without and maintain control with. My bottom line is it's a truck, trucks should have more than 2wd. That's just the Minnesotan in me. I've never known anyone with only 2wd on a truck. We subject our trucks to all the stuff you'd want more than 2wd for.

#8 ·
Im orignally from Cleveland, OH. There were times I would use my 4wd but that was just me being stupid and trying to get stuck :rotfl:.

Most of the time I was in 2wd with decent tires and there were only a few spots I slipped but nothing big to cause an accident or cause the other drivers on the road to freak out :)

#11 ·
I've had one 4wd truck ('79' IH Scout II) in 42 years of driving. In the 4 years I had that truck I engaged the 4wd three times only.

Other than that all the trucks I've had were at least equipped with a limited slip rear axle, even my S-10.

My '08' TB has the six cylinder, G-80 rear axle, 3:42 gears, Stabilitrak & ESP.

I learned, with my S-10 (2wd pick-up) that with the electronic trans you can take off from a light better by putting it into 2nd gear and by feathering the throttle control any wheel spin, then upshift as you gain speed.

With my TB now I still start out in 2nd and can easily keep up with 4wd vehicles from a light. :m2:I've had my TB since Feb. '08' and really like how it handles in the snow. I haven't had any issues.

Just remember that if you do need to rock your TB to get unstuck turn off the ESP & Stabilitrak by holding the button down (located on side of the shaft for the T-handle shifter) until the little yellow dash light stops flashing. Otherwise you'll really get upset.

#12 ·
I've had one 4wd truck ('79' IH Scout II) in 42 years of driving. In the 4 years I had that truck I engaged the 4wd three times only.
I think it just depends on your climate and intended use. Here our temps go from negative 60F to maybe 100F. The weather associated with those swings is all encompassing as is our seasonal recreation. Now add a snowmobile trailer on loaded with four $9,000 snowmobiles plus the several thousand dollar trailer and see how many times your 4wd or on demand 4wd saves your butt. Maybe drag your heavy icehouse out onto a frozen lake a mile or two. Throw on a 6000lb boat at a slimy boat ramp and you'll wish for every available advantage to haul your $60,000 toy out while the waves are crashing in and 10 people are waiting to get theirs out. I've seen many a rear wheel drive truck fail to pull out even the lightest of 14 foot aluminum boats. There are lots of good youtube videos out there too. If you don't do any of those things and just like to sit up high for your commute then you should be all set. If that were me, I'd buy a car and save the gas money. Like I said we take our body on frame vehicles seriously up here.

#14 ·
Our previous Rainier was AWD with a G80 but was pre stabilitrak and pre traction control on the AWD models and we had some issues with ice to the extent my wife rolled it over on the freeway multiple times. Our present Rainier, an 07, has stabilitrak and traction control and is also AWD but lacks the G80. It is a night and day difference compared to our last Rainier. Now I think the question is would the 07 handle as well as it does on ice if it had a g80? I think it likely would as the stabilitrak and traction control would ensure it did. I won't buy another vehicle without some kind of Stabilitrak system again here in MN.

#15 ·
My impression is Stabilitrak can assist getting you moving, and it might assist in slippery conditions around tight corners when you're going a bit too fast for your traction. And ABS assists getting you stopped.

But there's nothing except for tires that can affect the success of straight freeway driving in the presence of gusty crosswinds, with possible shallow turns that are at the limits of adhesion. There is still a need to drive at a speed that doesn't exceed what the conditions can support. If that means 10 MPH on the freeway, then everybody better be doing 10 MPH and leave a mile between vehicles if that's what it takes.

#19 ·
I thought i would throw in 2 cents. 2wd even with the g80 won't compare to 4wd when accelerating and handling in snowy/icy conditions. That being said there are plenty of 2wd vehicles driving around in snowy conditions safely while there are 4wd's in the ditch. I personally i want 4wd in a suv for convenience. I have been stuck in my driveway with the plow pile at the end of the driveway. 4wd also keeps the wheels turning at the same rate. so when your on the freeway your rear end wont try to pass the front end if your wheels do start to slip. My opinion on the stabilatrak is, it is a hindrance with speeds less then about 30 mph. Above that, it seems to respond and assist before you get into any trouble. I think this is because stabilitrak is really designed for pavement that is wet, sandy or slick, these being the most common situations where a loss of control is more dangerous. Ultimately it comes down to the driver. I have driven all the variants, front rear awd cars it snow and haven't hit the ditch or wrecked in my 12 years of driving.
OP. be happy with what you bought and just learn the vehicle.

#21 ·
My opinion on the stabilatrak is, it is a hindrance with speeds less then about 30 mph. Above that, it seems to respond and assist before you get into any trouble. I think this is because stabilitrak is really designed for pavement that is wet, sandy or slick, these being the most common situations where a loss of control is more dangerous. .
Yesterday and today to an extent the roads, all of them were covered in an inch of ice and 6 -10 inches of snow. It rained for a day then snowed overnight. On the intown roads, driving below 30mph, Stabilitrack literally won't let me (or more importantly my wife lose control). It just won't. The scary part is while everyone is sliding and sliping around you, it is like you are riding on a dry surface. My former Rainier was pre stabilitrac and the difference is like a rocket to the moon and a slow boat to china where handling on ice is concerned. The injuries in an under 30mph accident would likely be less thatn a high speed accident but a hindrance is the antithesis of how I would describe it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.