Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

rack and pinion leaking

47K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Schurkey 
#1 ·
The driver side boot on the rack is leaking oil. can u simply replace the cylinder seal or do u have do replace the whole rack and pinion?
thanks

#3 ·
Just replaced mine last saturday $355 + $115 core at autozone. Dealer is like $900 for the rack. Kind of a pain to replace, both boots were leaking losing about a quart a month. The after market ones are a lot better. If you have an 02 you need to find out if you have the 14mm or the 16mm tie rod ends and you'll have to get an alignment after.

#6 ·
My buddy is a GM mechanic, he charged me $200.00 for upper and lower ball joints both sides, drivers axle seal, pinion seal, rack & pinion and while he installed those, I changed the motor oil, front and rear diff oil, and the transfer case. After watching and helping it really wasn't that bad. No special tools to replace the rack, just a tight squeeze.

I don't think you can replace any seals, its probably cheaper to replace the entire unit with a lifetime warranty than to try to rebuild it.

#8 ·
the ball joints and the axle and pinion seals needed special tools, but not the rack. you have to remove the cross member, then its 2 bolts that hold the rack in, a bolt that holds the plate with the in out lines, and the steering boot. What year is your trailvoy?

#10 ·
Update

hey update guys.. me and my mechanic buddy changed the rack and pinion unit. it took about 6 hours but we got it done.. no special tools are needed but suggested.. also if you choose to do it yourself have someone with a bit of experience to help you through it
for startes you have to
1. remove axles in order to get to the rack
2. you have to remove the bottom shield under the car as well.
3. you have to disconnect your tie rod ends
4. then you remove the two bolts from the cross member thats holding the rack also do not forget you have to remove the two lines connected to the rack
4. once out do everything in reverse and fill your resevoir. there will be air in the rack so the resevoire will flow over a couple of times..now everything is all set.
sorry im lazy dont feel typing more PEACE OUT!!:thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.