Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Low Fuel Light

27K views 18 replies 19 participants last post by  Loverotties 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how much gas is actually left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on, or about how far you can go before running out of gas. I know it can't be much because when I filled up yesterday when the light was on it took about 17 gallons.

#6 ·
It is a good idea to fill up as soon as or even before the fuel warning light comes on. The fuel pump is in the gas tank and depends on fuel present to provide lubrication for its operation. Running real low or out of gas could cause premature failure of the fuel pump. Not to mention, a possible long walk....... :m2:

#7 ·
Envoy Fan said:
It is a good idea to fill up as soon as or even before the fuel warning light comes on. The fuel pump is in the gas tank and depends on fuel present to provide lubrication for its operation. Running real low or out of gas could cause premature failure of the fuel pump. Not to mention, a possible long walk....... :m2:
Agreed -- I try to never let mine get below a 1/4 tank under any circumstances. :m2:

#8 ·
I agree with Charlie on the practice of never going below a quarter-tank...Up north, where I live, I would be concerned about condensation build-up in the tank in the winter months....The other point made concerning the lubrication of the fuel pump definitely deserves some merit, also...The ONLY times that I let her go to the low fuel warning light level was to "maximize" my adding of one bottle of techron,which treats about 10-12 gallons of gas, which I added at approx. the one-half tank level, and lastly , to satisfy my curiosity at determining when that darn "low fuel" light would finally come on, which was around the 2 gallon mark from totally empty... :m2: :cool:

#12 ·
19 gallons wow thats cutting it close.
I've read the posts that say that the fuel pump needs lube but I don't think its that big of a deal, I would run my '95 Blazer bone dry in college all the time; the fuel gauge would read 1/4 tank when it was empty. My fuel pump died at 175K miles.. I don't consider that premature... :m2:

#13 ·
My 2002 and my 2005 both would go about 40 miles after the light came on.

The fuel pump is in the tank and relies on the fuel around it to cool the pump. Running it dry will definitely shorten its life. Regarding JimmyJam's comment, lots have changed in vehicle design since 1995.

Better to get fuel in the tank than pay the price.

Paul P

#14 ·
Low gas light

My low gas light came on today and I figured I should have at least 20 mi before running out. Well guess what? About six miles later the trailblazer ran out of gas!!! One neighbour had about 1/2 gal gas in a jug which was about 5 years old and was not enough to start my trailblazer. another neighbor had an empty 2 gal jug he said I could borrow to walk to get gas down the road 1/2 mile (how do these people mow their lawns??).

Another person was right, the low gas light is the "It's too late" light! DO NOT WAIT FOR THE LOW GAS LIGHT TO COME ON!!! IT'S TOO LATE!! Be sure to gas up your Trailblazer as soon as you drop below 1/4 tank. The tank holds 22 gal, 23 if you top off (your actually filling up the fill tube).

My 94 Ford Explorer had a pretty good cushion of reserve gas when the needle was on empty. My Chevy Trailblazer does not! Never ran out of gas with the Explorer in 10 years. Only owned the Trailblazer 1 year and both myself and wife have run out of gas! The low gas light is useless. Lures you into a state of false security but defeats the purpose it was intended for.

#15 · (Edited)
My low gas light came on today and I figured I should have at least 20 mi before running out. Well guess what? About six miles later the trailblazer ran out of gas!!! One neighbour had about 1/2 gal gas in a jug which was about 5 years old and was not enough to start my trailblazer. another neighbor had an empty 2 gal jug he said I could borrow to walk to get gas down the road 1/2 mile (how do these people mow their lawns??).

Another person was right, the low gas light is the "It's too late" light! DO NOT WAIT FOR THE LOW GAS LIGHT TO COME ON!!! IT'S TOO LATE!! Be sure to gas up your Trailblazer as soon as you drop below 1/4 tank. The tank holds 22 gal, 23 if you top off (your actually filling up the fill tube).

My 94 Ford Explorer had a pretty good cushion of reserve gas when the needle was on empty. My Chevy Trailblazer does not! Never ran out of gas with the Explorer in 10 years. Only owned the Trailblazer 1 year and both myself and wife have run out of gas! The low gas light is useless. Lures you into a state of false security but defeats the purpose it was intended for.
That's odd. I rarely ever let mine get down to where the low fuel light comes on, but the 3 or 4 times it has over the last 5 1/2 years, it always had at least 2 gallons left and sometimes closer to 3. Of course the EXT has the 25 gallon tank.
But any of the SWB vehicles I've rented over the years all had at least 2 gallons left when the low fuel light came on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.