Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Steering Wheel Shaking

9K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  dntnvme 
#1 ·
Every since I put on my 20" wheels I have a vibration in my steering wheel when I hit 60+MPH the installers took them back off an double checked for balancing they came up good, they also put some plastic rings in the middle behind all 4 rims to fill the gap around the rim. The rims are 6/127 and suggestions??

#3 ·
Did you get your rims and tires new or used? Maybe you need a wheel alignment, but if you got them used they could be bent. I just put 22's and I have no problems at all. No shaking or anything

#8 ·
TMONEY-2125 said:
I just put the rims one a month ago and only have 13,000 miles on the car could it be the rotors? Rims/Tires were brand new. Thanks for the posts everybody!!
You always go back to the last thing that was done before the shake started. With that new a vehicle it's not the brakes or rotors, it's in the balance of the tires or an out of round wheel. Something like this ususally shows up around 50-60mph. Was the balance a static or dynamic balance? Static=on a bubble machine. Dynamic=spun on the vehicle. Have them spun balanced and check for a out of round condition.

#12 ·
This problem is quite common when upgrading wheels. We have a Hunter Road Force Balancer at work. This machine is incredible. Try to find a shop who has one. The road force balancing can be a little pricey, but if they do it correctly it can solve all your problems. Good luck.

#13 ·
trailblazer02 said:
This problem is quite common when upgrading wheels. We have a Hunter Road Force Balancer at work. This machine is incredible. Try to find a shop who has one. The road force balancing can be a little pricey, but if they do it correctly it can solve all your problems. Good luck.
I thought the Hunter GPS 9700 was error proof? How can you not get a good balance on one of these machines? :undecided

#16 ·
trailblazer02 said:
It is as long as you know how to operate it. Many of the shops that have this machine have empolyees who don't have any training whatsoever on it.

AAAh, the human factor. That was the answer I was expecting, but didn't want to hear. About a year ago my wife was having a vibration problem on her vehicle. Took to first place that had the Hunter machine. Said it was bad tire. Tires could stand replacing, so went to a tire store that also had the Hunter machine. Got 4 new tires and the second balance. Drove out of the store parking lot, and didn't have to go very far to tell still had the problem. Took back and had a third balance. Visually determined that there was a bent rim. :duh: 3 balances on the Hunter to find out real problem on vehicle.:mad:

#18 ·
blautens said:
And mine will be going back for third balance soon...(to a dealer with a GSP 9700 - not that it helped the first two times, apparently).

Crap like this annoys me.
Make sure they are using the finger adaptors when they are using the GSP 9700. Many places don't take the time to do this and it is a major factor when it comes to using the machine correctly.

#19 ·
Something I should have asked first TMONEY. Are your wheels hub matched to your Voy? If not you will need to get a set of hub rings. I see cars and trucks everyday come in complaining of a vibration after they just had wheels put on at some local shop. By not installing hub rings you can be putting your wheels on off-center.

#21 ·
trailblazer02 said:
Make sure they are using the finger adaptors when they are using the GSP 9700. Many places don't take the time to do this and it is a major factor when it comes to using the machine correctly.
Thanks - I'll try to pass this tip on (I'm sure it will go nowhere - I have very little faith in dealers - I'd rather deal with a small shop that specializes in larger wheels - but if I have a bent rim, I need the Chevy dealer to figure this out so they will replace it under warranty).

I hate this so bad...

#23 ·
iDontKnow said:
Put your OEM wheels back on and see if it still shakes. If not, then it's probably the aftermarket wheels...
:iagree: , try this, and if it doesn't shakes, go to another tires shop (that knows what they are doing) and get the rims balanced properly, then take the bill back to the other shop and get some reimbursement:yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.