Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

Major Power Steering Leak - Need a Diagram

119K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  mcampbell1958 
#1 ·
Yesterday coming home from the beach I lost power steering. Very annoying. So I stopped and picked up a quart of fluid and filled the reservoir. Steering improved briefly, then bogged down again. I checked the reservoir, it's empty, like, sucking air empty. So, yes, I knew I had a pretty severe leak.

Filled the reservoir again, cranked the engine, looked under the truck... And the thing was RAINING steering fluid on the driver's side. I opened the hood, there was fresh splattering all over the drivers side of the engine.

So, at least I know the pump is working, right? I obviously have a major hydraulic line leak, but here's the problem --- I can't find the leak. I see fluid running freely, I know it's squirting like crazy, but I can't locate the damage, because it's hidden down in that mess of hoses and piping and junk between the fuse box and the engine. I can't see anything from above or below.

I'm sure that somebody out there has had this exact same problem, power steering fluid just pouring out on the driver's side as fast as you can pour it in on the passenger side. Is there a diagram or article available for DIY repair? Thanks, guys.

#2 ·
Okay, with the assist of a high-intensity flashlight, and by practically crawling into the engine compartment, I located the leak. It's one of the two hoses that connect to the rack -- those 18" hoses with the piped connectors on one end. The hose has apparently cracked out just where it joins the piping, and fluid is blowing out of there.

Now, is there an article or description or diagram somewhere of how to remove that hose? Because I don't want to just plow into this thing and screw up something else. Thanks!

#4 ·
Power steering issues

Seacrh "Power steering issues" you will find a post by "Roadie" and it has a complete diagram of the whole system the pump, hoses, routing to the cooler and rack. By looking at it I found my leak in the cooler which I didn't know it had till I saw the diagram and the cooler is under the radiator behind the bumper hidden by the fascia

#5 ·
Just wondering

Seacrh "Power steering issues" you will find a post by "Roadie" and it has a complete diagram of the whole system the pump, hoses, routing to the cooler and rack. By looking at it I found my leak in the cooler which I didn't know it had till I saw the diagram and the cooler is under the radiator behind the bumper hidden by the fascia
Did you thank Roadie :confused:

#9 ·
Power steering line RECALL

Hey all,

FYI!! If your reading this and have a leak in your line you should know that GM recalled this defective part. Your dealership should supply the part and labor for free and you shouldn't have to pay a dime. Even the below info lists it for my Isuzu you should be able to find the same information for your GM Envoy, etc.

I found this at

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/results.cfm

Make: ISUZU Model: ASCENDER
Model Year: 2006
Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: OCT 04, 2005
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 05V455000 NHTSA Action Number: N/A
Component: STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:HOSE, PIPING, AND CONNECTIONS

Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT WITH A POWER STEERING HOSE THAT IS NOT TO SPECIFICATION. UNDER EXTREME STEERING MANEUVERS, SUCH AS TURNING THE STEERING WHEEL FULLY TO THE LEFT OR RIGHT WHILE BRAKING, THE HOSE MAY FRACTURE AND LEAK FLUID.
Consequence:
IF THIS WERE TO OCCUR, POWER STEERING ASSIST WOULD BE LOST AND INCREASED STEERING EFFORT WOULD BE REQUIRED. ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HYDRO-BOOST POWER BRAKES, IT COULD ALSO RESULT IN LOSS OF POWER BRAKE ASSIST AND INCREASED BRAKING EFFORT WOULD BE REQUIRED. IF THE POWER STEERING FLUID SPRAY WERE TO SPRAY ONTO HOT ENGINE PARTS, AN ENGINE COMPARTMENT FIRE COULD OCCUR.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE POWER STEERING HOSE(S) FOR TWO SUSPECT DATE CODES AND REPLACE THEM IF REQUIRED. THE RECALL WILL BEGIN ON OCTOBER 14, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, GMC AT 1-866-996-9463, BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080, CADILLAC AT 1-866-982-2339, ISUZU AT 1-800-255-6727, OR HUMMER AT 1-800-732-5493.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 05086. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Good luck! Steve

#11 ·
I have a PS fluid leak in my '03 Envoy. Anyone know if recall fix would still benefit me in 2014 (once I verify my leak is related)?

I also have an '03 BMW, '06 Volvo, a new Ford Fusion, and had an '01 Saab die on me in 2012 before hitting 100,000 miles. Even with this big PS leak, my Envoy's reliability has been a dream compared to all other vehicles in my fleet (not counting the new Fusion). JK, are really going to be anti-GM forever over this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.