Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

2006 Envoy XL dies randomly while driving

36K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Pighunter 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali with 51,000 miles. A couple of days ago (when we started our 1,100 mile road trip...convienient) it started dying while we are driving. It will shut off and all the dash lights turn on with the display of "Stabilitrak Off". I then have to coast to the side of the road, turn the key off, wait 5 to 15 seconds and then turn the key and it starts right back up and we are on our way. If I try and start instantly without waiting, nothing happens when I turn the key....just all the dash lights come on. No click, no nothing.

It happens at random, anywhere 8 to 175 miles between incidents, doesn't matter if I had the cruise on/off, if I was accelerating/decelerating, no items plug into accessory plug or not. It does it on city streets, when sitting idle, and when doing 75 on the freeway.......completely random.

The only code it gives is P0601. I have been told to try replacing the ignition switch or the camshaft positioning module....any input on those?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
The P0601 seems to be a problem with the PCM. Check and make sure that none of the connections on the PCM are loose. If it's that intermittent, pray for a lose connection. The service manual I have (2003) indicates anything from a blown fuse to a PCM reprogramming to replacing the PCM. Hopefully some one can help more. Good luck.

#3 ·
I am not too inclined to think that it is a loose connection just for the fact that you can shake, bump, and drive the Envoy without being able to reproduce the complete randomness of this issue...and even just sitting still idling doesn't seem to factor in on when it happens. I will definitely go wiggle some wires just to be sure though. Thank you for your input.

#7 ·
Update on Random dying issue

Well, I installed the new ignition switch this evening. I then started the rig and after about 10 minutes it died again.....no fix. I guess I will try the camshaft position sensor and then if that doesn't work then I will let the dealership mess with it.....unless someone has any other suggestions. Thanks. :undecided

#8 ·
Dealership Called Back

Well, I installed the new ignition switch this evening. I then started the rig and after about 10 minutes it died again.....no fix. I guess I will try the camshaft position sensor and then if that doesn't work then I will let the dealership mess with it.....unless someone has any other suggestions. Thanks. :undecided
The dealership called this morning and said that it is the PCM and that they are ordering in a new one...under warranty. It should be here Monday. Hopefully that is the end of it. :)

#6 ·
Had a similar problem on my 06 LT. The truck left me stranded in the parking lot of a walmart for eight hours. Car just turned off, and would'nt start back up! Called GM, and they told me to leave the battery on so the ECU could reset itself. Just gave me a dead battery! Windows wouldn't roll up or anything. The only difference, is that when the ignition went on mine, it was one and done, just didn't work anymore, no gear selection or anything just a paperweight. The truck had to be drug up onto a flatbed with the wheels locked, because it couldn't come out of park.

#9 ·
Similar Problem

I have had a similar problem with my 02 Envoy. I have had the car simply die while sitting at the light in traffic or randomly while driving down the freeway at 80 miles an hour. When this happens in mine the display panel says check brake system and the brake light comes on. After finally getting it to restart, The ABS light is on and goes off once I start driving again.

Very random (usually occurs a couple months apart) and the dealership cannot locate a problem.

Not sure what to do and VERY annoying.

#14 ·
I have two, 05 Envoy and a 09 full size pickup that are problems. They are not mine but friends and I can't keep one of them for testing, I took a snap shot of the system and it showed nothing, but it never messed up. It doesn't happen often enough to test. I would like to be able to wire a light into the pcm gound sys. and battery positive and see if the ground is dorpping off the pcm which would shut the injectors off.Then I would like on the same car or truck to hook one to the ignition power feed and a good ground. If the light went out it would be dropping power under the hood. It seems to have been a problem for sometime now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.