Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

spark plug change?

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  cmatb08 
#1 ·
so our TB has 83k on it as she sits if i chage the spark plugs and wirescould that possibly solve the stalling and rough idle issue that im having? every once in awhile we will get a nasty smell like a rotten egg smell but not very often. what do you guys think? if i do change the plugs what brand does everyone recommend using?

#3 ·
I would recommend doing one thing at a time, so you can figure out what is having the biggest impact on performance.

If you do plugs, go with AC Delco Iridium 41-103's. That seems to be the benchmark for replacement.

Try the other tune-up items as well...air filter, fuel filter, and clean the throttle body (when you do the plugs). I did all three a few weekends ago, and it shouldn't take you more than two or three hours.

There are no wires on your engine. They use coil packs that sit on top of each cylinder, which don't need to be replaced unless you are getting a miss.

I believe a rotten egg smell might point to problems with your catalytic converter. Not sure about that, but I think a mechanic can diagnose it pretty easily by checking pressures in the system. If that's bad, it's probably still covered by GM.

Hold off on the PCM tune until you get your issues addressed. You won't get the full benefit from it while you have mechanical issues.

Just my :m2:

#4 ·
You can change the plug if you feel like it, but there are rated for 100,000 miles.

The first thing i would try according to your symptoms would be to clean your throttle body. Then if that does not work you can try the plugs. :m2:

#5 ·
You can change the plug if you feel like it, but there are rated for 100,000 miles.

The first thing i would try according to your symptoms would be to clean your throttle body. Then if that does not work you can try the plugs. :m2:
They may be rated for 100,000 miles but I changed mine at 50,000 miles and it made a huge difference in performance.

The o/p is close enough to 100,000 miles that I would say by all means - change them. I used Autolite Iridium plugs, only because the AC Delcos were not available locally. I've had no problems with the Autolites.

I would agree though it wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body.

#7 ·
That rotten egg smell (rich) usually indicates a bad cat. other symptoms are when you're flooring it, the engine will bog down. hesitation and rough idle can also be caused by that. you can do the plugs since you're close to the 100k mark, it can still be beneficial as super88 suggested. but my guess is a bad cat.

#10 · (Edited)
Most people that have switched to dual exhausts recommend staying single. And IIRC either way you can still only have one cat. If you can find a decent highflow cat go for it if you're looking for performance, but i personally would stick with OEM.

#11 ·
i have heard from alot of people that have worked for a chevy dealership that OEM cost more than aftermaket! we found a place out here that carries magnaflow products and it would cost 250 out the door for them to bolt a new high flow cat in. is that a decent price??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.